Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-11-2010, 07:23 PM   #11
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Let's see those '10 gardens

Got several pictures to share. Sorry for being long-winded. I love gardening and can chat about it for days. Plus, I'm proud of my little piece of Heaven. For those that remember my 16'x15' from last year, it's still here, except I replaced the 18" rabbit fence with a 36" wire and wooden fence. My beagle, Fritz, is of no use in the garden, so he is barred. He is a great squirrel deterrent, though. I planted 4/10. I've had to replant the orka, as it was cool for the first few weeks and it was old seed. They are still only a couple of inches high. Hot weather will kick them. Also, the past couple of years I gone the no-till route as Shilala does. I used to till a couple of times a year, but now just put lawnmower bagger waste around and work it in with a garden rake. A square foot, six inches deep can supply a double handful of giant earthworms. It's so cool how awesome this plot of earth is.

6 tomatoes (4 Celebrity, 1 Silvery Fir Tree, and 1 Micro Tom)
4 hills squash
6 peppers (3 jalapeno, 1 Cuban, and 2 bell)
6 small rows of bush beans
2 small rows fo Clemson spineless okra
dozens of Marketmore 75 cukes on the trellis
Several varieties of sunflowers around the edge

To me, a garden is not complete without feathered friends. I took a shot of my homemade birdfeeder. The wire around the main feeder keeps the ocassional squirrel, bluejay, and crackle at bay. It's got:

Black oil sunflower
Safflower
Peanuts (shelled and whole)
Oriole feedr with nectar and jelly
Two kins of suet
Two socks of Niger thistle

Here's the visitors since last summer (at least the ones I've seen):

Robin
Mourning dove
Cardinal
Carolina wren
Titmouse
Black-capped chickadee
Carolina chickadee
Red-bellied woodpecker
Grey catbird
Painted bunting
Red finch
House finch
Goldfinch
Baltimore oriole
Brown thrasher
Yellow rumped warbler
Mockingbird
Grackle
Bluejay
Starling
Red headed woodpecker
Eastern bluebird

Three plum and giant peach tree behind the fence. The peach tree loaded us up last year.

6'x2' herb garden. More mint than anything. There's chives, leeks, rosemary, and at least 5 kinds of mint. Tech-ninja turned me on to Mojitos a while back and I enjoy them all the time now thanks to my over-abundant supply.