Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 12-31-2010, 11:46 PM   #1
gvarsity
still crazy

Trading: (15)
gvarsity will become famous soon enough
Default How to protect humidors from winter dry ??

My house gets very dry in the winter down to 18%-20% rh. I haven't notcied a drop in my cigar storage yet but I haven't been smoking much lately so I haven't even been opening my coolerdors/tupperdors at all.

In previous years I have constantly fought to keep the humidity up. Has anyone else dealt with this problem. I have steam heat so adding humidity to the air in the house via the heating system isn't an option. Thoughts?
gvarsity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:52 PM   #2
Drez
The Warden

First Name: Frank
Trading: (35)
Cohiba MarineCorps (Retired)
Drez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How to protect humidors from winter dry ??

Though it doesn't get very dry in south Florida what I fomenting the winter is I put a couple bowls of water to help add some extra humidity to the air. The beads seem to recharge themselves and I never drop below 65 or go higher than 68.
Drez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:24 AM   #3
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

It would be greatly helpful if you could tell us a bit more about the humidors & coolers, like approximate size, how full, and what type of humidification source you are currently using and how much. Also, if you are going by hygrometer readings, have you tested / calibrated your hygrometer?

Such being said, assuming that your humidors and coolers don't leak like sieves, the general fix is to add additional humidification capacity. If you are using beads, add more beads. Or you could add a few waterpillows or a jar of gel such as Humi-Care or Cigar Mechanic. If it's a credo (the foam thing in the plastic case that you charge with PG/H2O solution), if you must keep it, add a jar of gel or pillows, although the best solution would be to throw them out and get beads. It's likely we can rule out active humidification for your humidors & coolers as if it functioning properly, you shouldn't have any issues unless it severely undersized for the space - in which case, fix it, replace it or get a larger one.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:32 AM   #4
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

First Name: Devan
Trading: (40)
RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)
Devanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the rough

Old 01-01-2011, 07:58 AM   #5
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drez View Post
Though it doesn't get very dry in south Florida what I fomenting the winter is I put a couple bowls of water to help add some extra humidity to the air. The beads seem to recharge themselves and I never drop below 65 or go higher than 68.
This is what I am doing in my end table unit. RH of house is around 30*. I place a pyrex dish with a water soaked sponge to recharge the beads. If I leave it in there for days, it doesn't seem to raise it more than 67-68*. Then I'll take it out and a week or more later if it gets down to 63* or so I put it back in the humidor. This is the first winter I'm doing it, and it seems to help greatly. (I have an Oasis I use to normally keep things steady, but this method keeps me from refilling it constantly).
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:00 AM   #6
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

More beads, but check it you're humi's leak first.

I had a Desktop with a glass dome for its lid and I had to put all my cigars in tupperware and smaller humis because it leaked so bad. Beginning of this winter it was like down to 42% humidity in there.

Once you know its not a leak, get more beads.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:45 AM   #7
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

My Cigar Oasis is going through water like crazy right now-probably refilling it at least once a week. Probably need to throw in some beads.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:29 AM   #8
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

I'm using this time of year to seal my non-cc glasstop using shilala's thread, and then re-season it. Crammed all my sticks in the cooler for the time being. I'll see if that helps any.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:15 PM   #9
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

One thing to note if you recharge your beads by sticking a dish or bowl of water in your humidor: be careful! Putting water in your humidor in this fashion can cause your RH to spike and potentially cause wrappers to split. Also you need to make sure no water gets on your cigars.

I would recommend taking the beads out to recharge them rather than placing water in your humidor.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:15 PM   #10
gvarsity
still crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
It would be greatly helpful if you could tell us a bit more about the humidors & coolers, like approximate size, how full, and what type of humidification source you are currently using and how much. Also, if you are going by hygrometer readings, have you tested / calibrated your hygrometer?

Such being said, assuming that your humidors and coolers don't leak like sieves, the general fix is to add additional humidification capacity. If you are using beads, add more beads. Or you could add a few waterpillows or a jar of gel such as Humi-Care or Cigar Mechanic. If it's a credo (the foam thing in the plastic case that you charge with PG/H2O solution), if you must keep it, add a jar of gel or pillows, although the best solution would be to throw them out and get beads. It's likely we can rule out active humidification for your humidors & coolers as if it functioning properly, you shouldn't have any issues unless it severely undersized for the space - in which case, fix it, replace it or get a larger one.
I have a coolerdor and three tupperdors two big and one small. Coolidor has two pounds of beads big tupperdor has a pound and each of the smaller ones have a half pound each. All have more than the required amount according to Scotts directions. All of my space is pretty full, from close to full up to 4-5 inches at the top of the biggest container. They are all air tight and hold pretty well. Historically I have used humidors in the winter and that was a nightmare. Pretty much daily checkups on everything to maintain humidity and still having some drops. This is my first full winter with the current setup and I guess I am just leery due to the history of low humidity issues in my house.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #11
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation

I've mentioned this a couple times in other threads :ough:: I buy 10-12 69% Boveda packs avery winter and use them in my desktop humidors and my small cabinet. I use these in addition to the beads I already have. 2-3 per 100-200 cigars tends to do the trick. They last mostly through the winter and I don't have to rehydrate the beads every couple days.

MCS
Old 01-01-2011, 08:15 PM   #12
gvarsity
still crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly View Post
I've mentioned this a couple times in other threads :ough:: I buy 10-12 69% Boveda packs avery winter and use them in my desktop humidors and my small cabinet. I use these in addition to the beads I already have. 2-3 per 100-200 cigars tends to do the trick. They last mostly through the winter and I don't have to rehydrate the beads every couple days.

MCS
That is a really good idea. I think I will try that. Thanks.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:32 AM   #13
Nathan King

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly View Post

MCS
Or just use Boveda packs and don't worry about the humidor. My house is bone dry and my desktop stays at 66% with the 69% packs.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:23 PM   #14
justonemorestick
Kat Krap Kontanment Media

First Name: Warren
Trading: (13)
justonemorestick is on a distinguished road

Use more Kat Krap Kontainment Media (silica Catlitter) works like beads just cheaper for under $10 you can get all you will ever need especially if you only use it during winter.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:07 PM   #15
Springsman

I'm just a newbie, but I have beads on the way since finding out how hard it is keeping up...I'm in CO and with as dry as it is already here with near 0% humidity and now winter heater....I can't keep up with even my small humi...
Old 01-02-2011, 01:24 PM   #16
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonemorestick View Post
Use more Kat Krap Kontainment Media (silica Catlitter) works like beads just cheaper for under $10 you can get all you will ever need especially if you only use it during winter.
Ummm, no.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:04 PM   #17
joeobx
just playing in the storm

First Name: Joe
Trading: (4)
joeobx will become famous soon enough

/\ /\ /\ /\ /\
What he said
Old 01-03-2011, 10:50 AM   #18
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I just cannot imagine how a media that is supposed to hold cat urine can be any good at managing the RH for fine cigars... Maybe it's OK for you but I would never trust my cigars to kitty litter...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:53 AM   #19
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonemorestick View Post
Sure, I'll use some 5 dollar kitty litter to protect my hundreds of dollars of cigars...

Maybe that works for you, but I'll use something proven to protect my investment.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:19 PM   #20
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

It's bound to happen someday and I'm going to laugh when it does but if people seriously use kitty liter long term someone with cat is going to be awful pissed when kitty finds the secret litter box. You leave it open.....walk away for a minute, kitty sees something new finds a new litter box....
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote