Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 05-01-2009, 08:47 AM   #1
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

First Name: Travis
Trading: (45)
VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about
Default Looking to get 1st French Press, Ideas?

Any advice on what I should get? Bodum, looks to be the best brand.
The wife and I, have about 3 cups each almost everyday.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:06 AM   #2
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Looking to get 1st French Press, Ideas?

Bodum is about all you'll see. The are all about the same. The only thing I would look for is the "micro-filter". It looks like it's made out of silk; the press will have two filters then. The metal mesh and silk one.

Other than that, it comes down to how fancy you want the metal pieces to be.

If you want more of showpiece heirloom press, go for Alessi.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:25 AM   #3
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Bodum brand. I am especially partial to their "Columbia" line of stainless steel insulated pots - if you have one you'll use it for life. They are outstanding if you won't miss the see-thru pot. You definitely want the big one (48-oz) at 3-cups x 2-drinkers/day.

There are less expensive presses made by Bonjour (among others) that have crappy metal screens with raw edges (they snag on everything) and flimsy hardware. The differences sound insignificant but they end up in the trash. I would still have my first ever french press, a Bodum purchased at least 25-years ago, if Mrs. Moo hadn't put it in the microwave and melted the handle into a useless brown glob. Mrs. Moo is all aces in my book but, sometimes, she is hard on equipment.

The key here is, what about a grinder, sir? "No (café) muela, ninguna gloria" sez Juan Valdez, our guiding light.

Last edited by Mister Moo; 05-01-2009 at 09:34 AM.
Mister Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:02 AM   #4
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
The key here is, what about a grinder, sir? "No (café) muela, ninguna gloria" sez Juan Valdez, our guiding light.

Im also in the market for a burr grinder, so any advice on one of those would be great. Thanks for the help, everyone!!
Old 05-01-2009, 10:54 AM   #5
germantown rob
Still not Adjusted

First Name: Rob
Trading: (1)
Partagas
germantown rob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerAdvocate View Post
Im also in the market for a burr grinder, so any advice on one of those would be great. Thanks for the help, everyone!!
I like my Baratza Virtuoso and it will handle entry into espresso. If you plan on doing espresso in the future consider what ever mr moo advises.
germantown rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:04 AM   #6
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Forgot about the Bonjour brand and they are on the crappier side. If you can swing it, go for an Alessi.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:03 PM   #7
Mister Moo

Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Different theories on the grinder thing. Some say a grinder is less important than, say, the health & welfare of your children. I say... "Good luck, kids. Hope to see you again after the Mazzer is paid off."

It's all about predicting the future of your personal coffee culture and it's all about budget.

1. If you have an unlimited budget then just get the best conical burr mill made and forget about it. This would be one of the Mazzers, Macaps, Pasquinis, etc. $400+ neighborhod.
2. If your budget is limited, get the best burr mill you can justify if you believe coffee will continue to be a part of your future. This could be any number of mills from $90-$200.
3. If your budget is limited but you're certain coffee is the well from which all life springs then you need to hunker down. Decide what you're going to do without so you can grossly overspend on a grinder. This search would begin with a Rancilio Rocky at minimum.

As a rule, the better the grinder you get, the longer it'll last and the more versatility it provides. For drip, press and mokapot a low- to middle-of-the-road conical burr mill should last for several years and do a fine job. Higher end gear grinds faster, is quieter, lasts longer, produces less dust or "fines" that end up in your cup and will address the challenge of espresso and turkish coffee brewing.

So? How much?
Old 05-01-2009, 01:28 PM   #8
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

VR

2. If your budget is limited, get the best burr mill you can justify if you believe coffee will continue to be a part of your future. This could be any number of mills from $90-$200.

This is me. Can you recommend a certain model between $50 and $100?
Old 05-01-2009, 09:58 PM   #9
Mister Moo

Quote:
Can you recommend a certain model between $50 and $100?
Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
Old 05-02-2009, 05:54 AM   #10
germantown rob
Still not Adjusted

Partagas

Refurbished Maestro Plus $99.00 from factory.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:03 AM   #11
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:

This is me. Can you recommend a certain model between $50 and $100?

How much are Solis grinders? I thought they were at a good price point. I would buy a blad grinder and save for a top one. In the end, you're going to spend the same amount as the cheap ones die, and top ones are lifetime grinders. The Rocky is great until you try the Mazzer.

My Rocky has gone through over 500+ lbs. of coffee beans with no servicing or breakage. I grind dry rice through it a few times a year to clean it; that's it.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:36 AM   #12
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantown rob View Post
Refurbished Maestro Plus $99.00 from factory.
Google is showing b_ratza.com as a potential malware source ???
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:19 AM   #13
Mister Moo

I just cannot get behind a whirleyblade (it's a chopper/smasher, not a grinder - it makes way more boulders and dust than you want with a press if $99 is in the budget) for coffee, except maybe for paper drip filter as the limit. The Baratza (Solis) Maestro looks like the dog to beat - $99. It will do well for drip/press coffee for many years; passable for moka and C-minus marginal for espresso.

http://www.espressozone.com/burr-cof...FQIwxwodHyjKiw
Old 05-02-2009, 08:31 AM   #14
germantown rob
Still not Adjusted

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
Google is showing b_ratza.com as a potential malware source ???
Not sure what is going on there but running a mac I have little care and clicked away. Can always call them like in the old days.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:44 AM   #15
germantown rob
Still not Adjusted

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
I just cannot get behind a whirleyblade (it's a chopper/smasher, not a grinder - it makes way more boulders and dust than you want with a press if $99 is in the budget) for coffee, except maybe for paper drip filter as the limit. The Baratza (Solis) Maestro looks like the dog to beat - $99. It will do well for drip/press coffee for many years; passable for moka and C-minus marginal for espresso.

http://www.espressozone.com/burr-cof...FQIwxwodHyjKiw
Not going to disagree with using a good-excellent burr grinder since they can't be beat. I do however suggest getting a good one and if money is a problem then get a blade for now, it will only make one appreciate a burr that much more when the money is saved.

Sweet Maria's has this to say...

"Everyone talks about "conical burr grinders" as a requirement for good coffee brewing. But the fact is that pour-over or automatic drip brewing does not require these expensive mills. The humble little blade grinder is a remarkable little machine, long-lasting, low-maintenance, and not $100! My only gripe with blade mills is that some struggle to grind even the smallest amount of coffee ... and if you have to grind for a longer time, the motor will start to heat up the coffee grinds -not a good thing. But the C-Mill electric coffee grinder has a very strong and precise motor. It beats the pants off the Krups or Braun mills out there, The coffee beans don't get crushed, but rapidly cut. important so the coffee isn't heated in the grinding process (which can damage the coffee flavor). The C-Mill grinds 1.6 oz of coffee at a time. It is 7" tall, about 4" in diameter."

The bodum c-mill is $25.

Still, after many years of a using many blade grinders there is a huge difference in what a good burr will give you.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:56 PM   #16
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Amazon is currently running a 48 hour sale on housewares, including grinders and French presses...
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:26 PM   #17
Mister Moo

People are not speaking ill of the Capresso and Cuisinart burr mills, by the way.

See selection at http://fantes.com/coffee-mills.html
Old 05-03-2009, 06:42 AM   #18
TRicker

I have the $59 cuisinart burr grinder and I love it. Grinds for the french press, mokapot and espresso machine all without issue. I'm sure its not the best out there, but I think its the best out there in that price range.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:43 AM   #19
chris45set
Millie found a BIG stick

Trading: (2)
chris45set is on a distinguished road

I bought the Capresso Infinity at an after Christmas sale at a local Dept store.
Very pleased with its performance, I had been using various "whirly-bird" grinders for over 20 years, and the burr grinder is definitely a huge step forward.
I drink both drip coffee and the elixir I make in my Bialetti moka pot, and the Capresso does a wonderful job.
I don't have the budget for a Mazzer, but the improvement gained by "going burr" was at least as great a jump as when I moved from ground coffee to beans and a whirly in the mid '80s.
Mr. Moo know of what he speaks.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:15 PM   #20
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

VR

I think I am going to go with the Capresso Infinity as my 1st burr grinder.