Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 08-05-2011, 02:00 PM   #581
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: Red Sox Nation -Check In

Thanks for the update, John. For Ortiz to go so postal over a single RBI, and for a decision made by his home scorekeeper no less, coupled with his "fight" on the field a month back, does not bode well for his mental and emotional stability.

Last year, when he got off to such a slow start and was being bashed by the fans and Boston press, he was correct to point out that they were wrong to jump to conclusions based upon a dozen games . . . even if his attitude then was perhaps overly aggressive. But this kind of crap is simply that . . . crap.

Oh, and to address your earlier query re A-Rod, I only refrained for the same reason I have not posted about the reported "recruiting violation" of Coach K down at Duke: namely, because I was awaiting more facts before expressing any judgement. But to make one thing clear, let me state emphatically that, if A-Rod did something MLB told him not to do, be it illegal or just merely foolish, and he never plays another game for the Yankees or for anyone else due to this, I have absolutely no problem at all with that. Baseball, the Yankees, and I shall all survive with or without A-Rod.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:08 PM   #582
Bruins Fan
Hooper drives the boat.

First Name: John
Trading: (0)
RyJ
Bruins Fan will become famous soon enoughBruins Fan will become famous soon enough

It must be roid rage with Ortiz? The guy pisses and moans about everything,The Sox over paid him about 6 million this year,and he is already whining about a contract for next year,he will probably wind up in pinstripes next year?
Old 08-05-2011, 04:16 PM   #583
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Papi in pinstripes? Ehhh, I can't see it, though who knows? After all, the Yankee fans hate Ortiz no more than they hated Clemens . . . or A-Rod, for that matter. One must confess his lefty power would suit the Short Porch to a T.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:32 AM   #584
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Thanks for the update, John. For Ortiz to go so postal over a single RBI, and for a decision made by his home scorekeeper no less, coupled with his "fight" on the field a month back, does not bode well for his mental and emotional stability.

Last year, when he got off to such a slow start and was being bashed by the fans and Boston press, he was correct to point out that they were wrong to jump to conclusions based upon a dozen games . . . even if his attitude then was perhaps overly aggressive. But this kind of crap is simply that . . . crap.

Oh, and to address your earlier query re A-Rod, I only refrained for the same reason I have not posted about the reported "recruiting violation" of Coach K down at Duke: namely, because I was awaiting more facts before expressing any judgement. But to make one thing clear, let me state emphatically that, if A-Rod did something MLB told him not to do, be it illegal or just merely foolish, and he never plays another game for the Yankees or for anyone else due to this, I have absolutely no problem at all with that. Baseball, the Yankees, and I shall all survive with or without A-Rod.
Agreed Thomas....is A-Rod really "relevant" anymore?
Old 08-06-2011, 10:37 AM   #585
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Keeping my fingers crossed for no rain today cuz I gots tickets!!
Old 08-06-2011, 11:15 AM   #586
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Geez, an awful lot of hatin' on a guy that, without whom we would not have won the WS in '04 and '07. So he lost his temper a little bit, who hasn't? Personally, I'd rather have a player who gives a damn enough to fight and scrape for every run, hit and RBI, instead of a dishrag who doesn't friggin' care.

Besides, how many of us has actually built a hospital?
Old 08-06-2011, 11:30 AM   #587
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by massphatness View Post
Keeping my fingers crossed for no rain today cuz I gots tickets!!
Have a good time Vin. Go Yankees.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:45 AM   #588
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post
Geez, an awful lot of hatin' on a guy that, without whom we would not have won the WS in '04 and '07. So he lost his temper a little bit, who hasn't? Personally, I'd rather have a player who gives a damn enough to fight and scrape for every run, hit and RBI, instead of a dishrag who doesn't friggin' care.

I'll grant your point, if you grant that the Yankees would not have won in 2009 without A-Rod, and thus the same slack must be given to him.

Me, I don't see things based so totally upon what one has done for my team, yet merely point out you need take a gander at what's fair for the goose. And that's my , and worth every penny.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:06 PM   #589
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
I'll grant your point, if you grant that the Yankees would not have won in 2009 without A-Rod, and thus the same slack must be given to him.

Me, I don't see things based so totally upon what one has done for my team, yet merely point out you need take a gander at what's fair for the goose. And that's my , and worth every penny.
I hear what you're sayin'. Of course, I wouldn't expect any Yankees fan to like any Red Sock; I'm talking about Red Sox fans raggin' on a Red Sox player who has done so much for the team and in the community.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:24 PM   #590
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
I hear what you're sayin'. Of course, I wouldn't expect any Yankees fan to like any Red Sock; I'm talking about Red Sox fans raggin' on a Red Sox player who has done so much for the team and in the community.
Yeah, I got your point from the get-go. But I would protest that, to this outsider, it seems the Boston fans have even shorter memories than do most "what have you done for me lately?" fans in other cities.

For instance, take Wade Boggs. He was one of your best players for, what, ten years? He helped you to the '86 Series, and it wasn't HIM who booted Mookie's ball. Then the management decided he was done, and cut him loose. Boggs thought he still had game, so signed with the Yankees . . . AND WAS SOUNDLY BOOED WHEN HE RETURNED TO FENWAY! OK, so maybe he wouldn't have been had he not been in Pinstripes, but was that his fault?

No doubt it was all the sweeter for him when he climbed on that horse in The Bronx, however.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:11 PM   #591
massphatness

ERdM

For a Sox fan, jumping ship directly to the Yankees is like the Blue going over to the Gray.
Posted via Mobile Device
massphatness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:17 PM   #592
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by massphatness View Post
For a Sox fan, jumping ship directly to the Yankees is like the Blue going over to the Gray.
Posted via Mobile Device
But Boggs didn't jump ship. He was thrown overboard, and was offered a lifeline. Do you expect he should have swam for shore, then opened a used-car dealership instead, out of a loyalty he himself had not been granted?
Old 08-06-2011, 02:42 PM   #593
massphatness

ERdM

To a Red sox fans way of thinking, he should have signed with the Royals
Posted via Mobile Device
massphatness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:38 AM   #594
Bruins Fan
Hooper drives the boat.

First Name: John
Trading: (0)
RyJ
Bruins Fan will become famous soon enoughBruins Fan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Me I can't stand cry baby whiners, it's not about what you done in the past it's about know.
Ortiz is not a ball player he is a DH,I would have cut him lose last season.
I would like to see him pull his antics against, Bob Gibson, Don Drysdale, or Pedro.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:00 PM   #595
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Besides, how many of us has actually built a hospital?
I am a fan of Ortiz but if you watch him after every called third strike, he could be tossed out of the game. He is a chronic complainer and is eventually going to piss off every umpire in the game. He needs to get his emotions under control. To be fair, Youk has the same problem and could have cost us a game last week when he got tossed.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:14 PM   #596
Angry_Pirate
Traveler

First Name: J.T.
Trading: (40)
Cohiba
Angry_Pirate is on a distinguished road

Hoping NY goes down tonight and the Red Sox take get first place!!
Angry_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:37 AM   #597
tupacboy
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
tupacboy is on a distinguished road

great game... sox coming though in a clutch... first place!!
tupacboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:45 AM   #598
massphatness

ERdM

The Yankee brass has to be concerned that the Sox seem to have CC's number, and their success against Rivera appears to be no fluke.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:58 AM   #599
jwintosh
i have a confirmation #!!

First Name: Jeffrey
Trading: (15)
Bolivar
jwintosh will become famous soon enoughjwintosh will become famous soon enough

i see y'all are taking care of our gift to you...
Old 08-08-2011, 06:24 AM   #600
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins Fan View Post
Me I can't stand cry baby whiners, it's not about what you done in the past it's about know.
Ortiz is not a ball player he is a DH,I would have cut him lose last season.
I would like to see him pull his antics against, Bob Gibson, Don Drysdale, or Pedro.
I will have to disagree with you; I like him for what he has done, and continues to do, both on and off the field. He was at the hospital on Saturday visiting the kids, for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taltos View Post
I am a fan of Ortiz but if you watch him after every called third strike, he could be tossed out of the game. He is a chronic complainer and is eventually going to piss off every umpire in the game. He needs to get his emotions under control. To be fair, Youk has the same problem and could have cost us a game last week when he got tossed.
For my part, I want ball players who are emotionally as well as mentally in the game.