Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 01-12-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
Macadron

Default TIM TEBOW .......... lol

Lets here all your thought on the most talked about sports athlete in the nation
Old 01-12-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future
Default Re: TIM TEBOW .......... lol

He's a winner, gotta give him that!
Old 01-12-2012, 09:59 AM   #3
ktblunden
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (6)
RA
ktblunden is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo_5_0 View Post
He's a winner, gotta give him that!
Almost accidentally at times. It's a shame that Cam Newton set almost every rookie qb record in the league this season and he was overshadowed by a guy whose throwing is abysmal and manages to win by the skin of his teeth time and time again. I'm not a fan of either the Panthers or Broncos, but I have to give it to both qbs for having amazing seasons (if for different reasons).
ktblunden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
Macadron

I think I would rather have a qb that can win ugly then a record breaking statistic pounding pretty boy who cant win idk my opinion
Old 01-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #5
tupacboy
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
tupacboy is on a distinguished road

gotta love the kid.. great role model... it may not be pretty... but he wins...
tupacboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:05 AM   #6
ade06
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ade
Trading: (24)
Trinidad
ade06 will become famous soon enoughade06 will become famous soon enough

No matter how bad his throwing arm is, he's getting the job done and his team believes in him.
ade06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:07 AM   #7
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Since you asked, I hated him throughout college. I am not against religion, I just have no use for it
and no use for people that won't shut up about it.
But now that he is a pro, and EVERYONE who claims to know football and some who don't are lining
up to lay out his career on a chart and use words like 'never' and 'impossible' and I kinda started pulling
for him pretty hard. For those who say his throwing is abysmal, I would say it was the most abysmal
one throw overtime in NFL history. Ugly yes. WAY too complicated looking, sure. But however he launches
it down the field, he has been connecting an awfully high percentage of his crappy passes lately, and with
a tiny interception percentage. What he has lacked in accuracy his recievers have made up for with effort.

All that said, not sure if I like him now or not, but I am far past hating him. By the time you get this
far into the season, football has to try pretty hard to be interesting to me. It's kind of like the Saints
or nothing for me. And LSU got....well, there is no truly effective word to properly convey WHAT they got.
But they sure got it. So this Tebow angle at least had me watching a playoff game I couldn't really care less
about.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:09 AM   #8
Dr Voss

The man has no lack of heart that's for sure. He may not be the the most perfect in form but he sure does function.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:10 AM   #9
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

What, no Rex Grossman thread?
Old 01-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #10
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

this week, I'll go with "he's been really lucky". any other week, I don't know/care
Old 01-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #11
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

As a pure QB, I'd put him in 50-60 percentile, but making 2nd round of play-off’s can’t be brushed off like nothing. Let’s see when hopefully they’ll lose this weekend. Last week’s performance was solid and no one should take that away from him. When someone has a shtick like he does, it muddies the water on his true performance as people take it to heart.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:16 AM   #12
Taki
Welcome to the Layer Cake

First Name: Taki
Trading: (38)
HdM
Taki has disabled reputation

http://tebowing.com/

He looked really good against the Steelers (sorry Ken)...well for about 3 or 4 throws
Old 01-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #13
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Brad hit it on the head!
Old 01-12-2012, 10:20 AM   #14
Hem
Feeling at Home

First Name: Bill
Trading: (13)
Partagas
Hem will become famous soon enough

As much as people want to hate on the him, you can't help but admire his drive and heart when he plays. His team believes in him and if that's what it takes to win...then so be it. I would agree with ktblunden saying Cam had a LIGHTS OUT rookie year, imagine if he was on a team that could actually win???
Hem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #15
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

While I could do without all the religious stuff, he sure puts it all out there. Maybe the religious stuff is my issue, not his. Guess it is better than the thug persona....

In the end, he is a winner and appears to be a genuinely good guy....so good on him. I wish him further success.

On the down side, all this winning cost "us" Andrew Luck.... TRADE UP!!!!!
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:22 AM   #16
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taki View Post
http://tebowing.com/

He looked really good against the Steelers (sorry Ken)...well for about 3 or 4 throws
This one made me laugh:

Old 01-12-2012, 10:26 AM   #17
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macadron View Post
I think I would rather have a qb that can win ugly then a record breaking statistic pounding pretty boy who cant win idk my opinion
Denver was 8-8 playing in a division where no one played better than .500.
Carolina went 6 and 10 in one of the toughest divisons in the NFL and lost five games by a td or less.
Cam Newton not only won, he won against greater odds against much better teams and put up numbers that were stellar for ANY veteran qb.
The two don't remotely compare statistically or by skillset.
I won't even throw Newton's numbers up there against Tebow's because it'd be embarrasing to Tebow.
That said, Tebow has huge heart and he's got John Elway to work with him all off-season. He didn't have that benefit this past summer because of the lockout, or I think he'd have fared much better. I think he'll do big things, but in Elway fashion.
Cam Newton is an INCREDIBLE athlete, plus he's a precision passer.
His numbers, both throwing and rushing have put him in a category that has never existed in football. They can't even rank him against the greats because his skillset is wider than any quarterback who has ever hit the field.
By far, his numbers from this season show that he is the most well-rounded quarterback that has ever walked on an NFL football field.
I'm not a Carolina fan and not a Denver fan, but the numbers are what they are and individual performance is what it is. If Cam Newton never played another down, he'd likely be enshrined in the HOF on this season alone, and it's been written about in volumes. His accomplishments are astronomical. Tebow's are not.

Denver is in the playoffs and Carolina is not. Carolina was not prepared to make a run. They're building. Denver has been building for years and they're at the apex of what they've tried to accomplish, yet they backed into the playoffs and got lucky to get there. Denver is a huge football town, Carolina is not. If Tebow comes along in the offseason, Denver is going to make a statement next year.
Carolina will start building a team around Newton to make a run. They'll be competitive next year and likely turn into a powerhouse the year following.

Tebow made the very most of his opportunity against the Steelers and for that, he deserves applause. If he can keep his act together for another game, he'll really deserve some accolades. Beating good clubs in the playoffs is huge, and it'll earn him some deserved respect. If he can beat New England, I will be both shocked and impressed. Then I think he'll have earned some of the suction he's been getting.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:28 AM   #18
Wanger

Not a fan. He's been the beneficiary of the Denver D stepping up and playing ball. By next season, the book will be out on him, and defenses will be able to stop what he does. He works hard, but he's not the only player in the league that works hard.

The most annoying thing to me about him is the whole religion thing. I really don't care for it to be involved in my sports at all. Good for you about your beliefs. It's great that he's supposed to be a good kid. But...meh. One thing I want people to think about...how would you feel if a QB was a Muslim and bowed to Mecca after big plays/games? Would it matter? My feeling for some thing like that is "good for him, but keep it off the field".

Other than that, I think he's a great running back.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #19
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Denver was 8-8 playing in a division where no one played better than .500.
Carolina went 6 and 10 in one of the toughest divisons in the NFL and lost five games by a td or less.
That is a bit misleading, as Tebow was 7-4 as a starter....the first 5 games of the season don't count. Two of Tebow's 4 losses were by a touchdown or less...

If given the opportunity, sure, I'd trade Newton for Tebow tomorrow....but when pulling stats, you have to be fair....

Last edited by E.J.; 01-12-2012 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Tebow's losses
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #20
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanger View Post
Not a fan. He's been the beneficiary of the Denver D stepping up and playing ball. By next season, the book will be out on him, and defenses will be able to stop what he does. He works hard, but he's not the only player in the league that works hard.

The most annoying thing to me about him is the whole religion thing. I really don't care for it to be involved in my sports at all. Good for you about your beliefs. It's great that he's supposed to be a good kid. But...meh. One thing I want people to think about...how would you feel if a QB was a Muslim and bowed to Mecca after big plays/games? Would it matter? My feeling for some thing like that is "good for him, but keep it off the field".

Other than that, I think he's a great running back.
My feelings or anyone elses feelings wouldn't matter because anyone who causes a fuss about would be called out for it... just my