Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 11-21-2008, 03:54 AM   #21
newcigarz
Smoke and Mirrors

Trading: (15)
HUpmann
newcigarz has disabled reputation
Default Re: Why Herf?

Nice post Vin. I hope to be added to your list one day.
newcigarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 05:09 AM   #22
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcigarz View Post
Nice post Vin. I hope to be added to your list one day.
You, sir, are ON the list -- what we need to do is cross your name off it!
Old 11-21-2008, 05:47 AM   #23
Cigarcop
Wishin I Was Fishin

Trading: (40)
HdM
Cigarcop has disabled reputation

A great post!

Initially just thinking about attending a Herf could seem intimidating to a new guy. But after reading the post seems as if everyones accepted, finds their way, and is welcomed into the family.
Still nervous about attending my first one but look forward to it as well.
Cigarcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 05:56 AM   #24
BigBruce
Independent

Trading: (4)
Bolivar Army (Active)
BigBruce will become famous soon enough

I know when I look at the pics it looks like a great time. Hopefully when I get home I can go to a stateside herf.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:34 AM   #25
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Great post brother... I know I am not missing next years Ybor event!!
Old 11-21-2008, 06:52 AM   #26
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenor CS View Post
Is it just me, or do cigars actually taste BETTER at a herf?
They certainly do. Whether it's smoking around another or many other cigar enthusiasts. For me, it adds to the experience. Some of my most cherished cigar smoking experiences have been around other BOTLs. Smoking solo pales in comparison.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:04 AM   #27
ahc4353

My first large (more than one other) HERF was with the MASSHOLES. The kindness and generosity that was bestowed upon me by those men and women is a memory that will last a lifetime. Truly a day that I will never forget.

My personal Holy Grail of HERFS is the SHACK. I know of no other event that puts so many people that I would like to meet and say thank you to in one place at one time. One day the planets will align and I will be in attendance. One day.

HERF when you can with one or many it makes no difference.

Nice post Vin.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:02 AM   #28
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

Nice post Vin!

I agree I had more fun meeting and hanging out with everyone than any other part of the trip.
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:05 AM   #29
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Great post Vin and I share many of the same thoughts as you.

I had never been to a herf before, period. So I was a little nervous beforehand. Not in the sense of meeting new people, I love to meet new folks, but in the sense of embarassing myself with such little knowledge of this hobby of ours.

The cigars that are premium to me are afterthoughts to others, I'm not a "habanophile" and know jack-diddly about cuban cigars. I don't have boxes laying around to just dole out to everyone like pieces of gum. So, in that sense I was intimidated as well. I'm sure no one came away from meeting me saying that guy bombed the hell out of me with all these great cigars and I want on his buddy list for sure.

But you know what? I'm not out to impress anyone, I'm out to meet people and live my life. I enjoy a good cigar but I enjoy a good person much more. That I accomplished--thanks to all of you in attendance at this event. I walked away from Russ's house knowing that this herf was the first of many more that I will attend, and that the people that I met and friendships that I started were the reason I was there in the first place. Everything else really doesn't matter.

rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:41 AM   #30
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

Herfs are a great way to put faces on the folks you see here everyday. Its true, its not about the cigars. Its about the people.

I can still remember the SoCal I Herf. It was one of the first real big gatherings I attended. It was a blend of folks from 2 major places. ICG & ASC. There was probably 100 folks in all, and like someone mentioned earlier, I was pretty uneasy at first seeing what these guys brought not only to smoke, but to also pass out to everyone. I felt seriously under gunned. One of the old time ASC folks (Mig) told me not to worry about what cigars others had brought. He told me just have fun, work the room and talk to folks I never met. Following his suggestion gave me something very special. It gave me the beginnings of many friendships that still exist to this day. That was almost 10 years ago.

So my suggestion to those new to herfs or have never attended one before, would be to not worry what other folks have. It dosent matter if their smokes are older or better than yours. It dosent matter if they bring their cigars in a ziplock bag or a custom painted Zero Haiburton. It dosent matter if you brought only 6 cigars and many others brought 200. Your religious, professional, or racial background makes absolutely no difference. It makes no difference if you are a millionaire or just making ends meet. None of this matters.

The one thing that really matters is that you are there. Because if that happens, chances are you'll find others there that you'll bond with over great conversation, good cigars, and it just may be the beginning of some close friendships that will wear on through the years, no matter how far apart you may be.

The only thing that must happen is you need to show up. Everything else will fall into place from there.

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 12:43 PM   #31
auburnfan1980

Great post, brother. Brought a needed smile to my face at the end of the week.

Jason
Old 11-23-2008, 06:59 PM   #32
Sailchaser
Black Ops-SOB

First Name: Chris
Trading: (7)
HUpmann CoastGuard
Sailchaser has disabled reputation

[quote=massphatness;79357]
Then there were the guys I was a little intimated by … in Tampa, SailChaser fell into this category. I don’t know why, but I was always hesitant to really interact with him in any significant way prior to the Tampa herf. Call it what you will. Intimated by his reputation, knowledge, etc. I don’t know, but I was a little nervous about meeting the guy. Turns out, I’m a big stupid head for thinking that way. Chris was one of the friendliest down to earth guys you could hope to meet. It was a true pleasure to get to know him and his wife (Hi again, SailKat!) better.
QUOTE]

Vin , Thanks for the Kind words, The only thing I try and do is pass on what I have learned from others and try to be the best BOTL I can. It also has a lot to do with having a very special partner in Kat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzle View Post
Great post Vin and I share many of the same thoughts as you.
That I accomplished--thanks to all of you in attendance at this event. I walked away from Russ's house knowing that this herf was the first of many more that I will attend, and that the people that I met and friendships that I started were the reason I was there in the first place. Everything else really doesn't matter.

Friendships last a life time

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post

The only thing that must happen is you need to show up. Everything else will fall into place from there.
When you have a bunch of people that gather in one place to share a bond friendships naturally occur. There is not one person that attended the Herf that I did not gain a larger respect for them and what the do. For me it is not about how many, what you have, what your getting it is about YOU at herfs and the only thing that you can share then is you. I am so fortunate to have a partner (SAILKAT)that enjoys my passion for this hobby and allows me to experience and the ability to travel and gain new friends.
To everyone involved in the Ybor Herf I also want to thank for taking my mind off a few issues that I have been dealing with, for that I am Grateful
Look forward to see you all on the board and at future Herfs
Old 11-23-2008, 07:15 PM   #33
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Only been to one herf myself. A small one we had in Jacksonville not too long ago. I really enjoyed meeting the guys. I was going to attend the herf at Vin's in October, but a death in the family caused the plans to change. I can say truly that I so look forward to meeting up with the massholes, because of the support and well wishes they sent our way in our time of need was something that is hard to explain. I mean I haven't even met any of them face to face yet they took time to email call or pm and let us know they were thinking about us. Vin, Al, Bao, Greg, and all the others just know that someday we will hopefully be able to share a cigar, and just fellowship one with another. There was also a lot of yall that aren't massholes, sent messages our way as well, and hopefully we will all be able to meet as well.

Thanks brothers.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:39 PM   #34
SmokinApe
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeremy
Trading: (35)
Bolivar
SmokinApe has a spectacular aura aboutSmokinApe has a spectacular aura about

Nice post...
SmokinApe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:05 PM   #35
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Why Herf?

Because I don't like throwing up in my own backyard!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:23 AM   #36
Coz77
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Mark
Trading: (1)
Coz77 is on a distinguished road

Great thread fellas...I too was intimidated by some of the same reasons, but the below posts have eased my mind. Thanks guys!

I need to herf more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzle View Post
The cigars that are premium to me are afterthoughts to others, I'm not a "habanophile" and know jack-diddly about cuban cigars. I don't have boxes laying around to just dole out to everyone like pieces of gum. So, in that sense I was intimidated as well. I'm sure no one came away from meeting me saying that guy bombed the hell out of me with all these great cigars and I want on his buddy list for sure.
Quote:
So my suggestion to those new to herfs or have never attended one before, would be to not worry what other folks have. It dosent matter if their smokes are older or better than yours. It dosent matter if they bring their cigars in a ziplock bag or a custom painted Zero Haiburton. It dosent matter if you brought only 6 cigars and many others brought 200. Your religious, professional, or racial background makes absolutely no difference. It makes no difference if you are a millionaire or just making ends meet. None of this matters.

The one thing that really matters is that you are there. Because if that happens, chances are you'll find others there that you'll bond with over great conversation, good cigars, and it just may be the beginning of some close friendships that will wear on through the years, no matter how far apart you may be.

Coz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:38 AM   #37
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

First Name: Scott
Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat post Vin. And it was truly my pleasure to meet you as well as the many others who attended this Epic Ybor Herf from across the country. I was in awe. Still am.

Trying to describe the friendships cemented in a herf is simlar to rekindling friendships with high school mates. It feels like you've always known them, now you are just getting the pleasure of seeing them again.

As I planned this event and we hopped from location to location, to location, I can tell you the feedback was nothing less than impressive. My family was impressed with ALL who attended and would welcome us back anytime.

It truly is an experience not to be missed.
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:39 AM   #38
gnukfu
I like cigars

First Name: George
Trading: (27)
LGC
gnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the rough

Great post Vin - I was going to add something brilliant but nothing comes to mind other than great cigars, great food, great drink, and above all great people....

gnukfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:25 AM   #39
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Herfs are a great way to put faces on the folks you see here everyday. Its true, its not about the cigars. Its about the people.

I can still remember the SoCal I Herf. It was one of the first real big gatherings I attended. It was a blend of folks from 2 major places. ICG & ASC. There was probably 100 folks in all, and like someone mentioned earlier, I was pretty uneasy at first seeing what these guys brought not only to smoke, but to also pass out to everyone. I felt seriously under gunned. One of the old time ASC folks (Mig) told me not to worry about what cigars others had brought. He told me just have fun, work the room and talk to folks I never met. Following his suggestion gave me something very special. It gave me the beginnings of many friendships that still exist to this day. That was almost 10 years ago.

Great addendum to Vin's post Mr.Kimura!