Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 11-27-2008, 11:33 AM   #21
duckmanco
Can't stop whats coming

Location: that forsaken stretch of wood they call Whiskey Grove
Trading: (10)
duckmanco is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tatuaje to Release Economy-Priced Cigar

If MSRP is $4.00-$5.00 then I am betting these will be in $3.00 range or so, something like a lot 23 or the Partagas Black price points, which I might not call economy, but certainly not out of control price wise. I love 3-5 dollar cigars as both my everyday and any reason, including special occasion smokes.

The way I see it, its better than yet another 8.00 -10.00 Pepin smoke.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:41 AM   #22
Celt
Conservative in Exile

Trading: (0)
LGC
Celt is on a distinguished road

Dont get me wrong I really like Tats and DPGs but I do think that a lot of what you get now a days is about the name not so much quality and consistency as it was before they became so popular.

I will always try them when they come out with a new one and continue to smoke the ones I like but I am finding it harder and harder to justify some of the more expensive smokes over Oliva's stuff now a days.

Between the Oliva O Habano and the Vs its becoming increasing hard to find more consistently good cigars.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:35 PM   #23
Buena Fortuna
Feeling at Home

First Name: Sam
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Buena Fortuna will become famous soon enough

Not interested. 2 words...La Raquezia
Posted via Mobile Device
Buena Fortuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 07:52 PM   #24
Snake Hips
Götterdämmerung

First Name: Tyler
Bolivar
Snake Hips will become famous soon enough

Hmm...the not-so-economy economy cigar. Why is it that Oliva makes such great cigars at their price point and no one else seems to want to try? I'll try these, $4.50 is pretty "economy" where I live, and I might like them. But why those two sizes only? I'm not a fan of either of those sizes...
Snake Hips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:43 PM   #25
Celt
Conservative in Exile

LGC
Celt is on a distinguished road

My point exactly!

If you can show me a better tasting cigar then the Oliva O Habano at $3 I'll suck your toes!

Well maybe not really suck your toes
Old 11-27-2008, 09:59 PM   #26
Mark
Tarheel.

First Name: Mark
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
Mark will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
Ashton Benchmade and Holt's Fumadors. Less than $3 a cigar.
I had a couple fumadores a while back and other than them falling apart on me shortly after lighting, I found then generally uninteresting and slightly ammonia-y

::end threadjack::

cant wait to try these, although they are not quite an 'economy' smoke on my college-student-with-a-girlfriend budget
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:38 AM   #27
sofaman
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
sofaman is on a distinguished road

I am going to try them but if they are not any better the the Tat P1's I will stick with the P1 for $69 for a box of 31 they cant be beat
sofaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:25 AM   #28
MithShrike

I doubt these will be any good. Pete mentioned B and C grade tobacco in the article I read which isn't a bad thing it just means these will be ugly. What does concern me is that he admitted that not all of the tobacco is completely fermented. From my experience and the knowledge I've gained, a cigar that is made from improperly fermented tobacco will have a lot of ammonina and nicotine and should be very harsh. I don't do harsh.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:01 PM   #29
Totemic
Still Watching My Back

Totemic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MithShrike View Post
I doubt these will be any good. Pete mentioned B and C grade tobacco in the article I read which isn't a bad thing it just means these will be ugly. What does concern me is that he admitted that not all of the tobacco is completely fermented. From my experience and the knowledge I've gained, a cigar that is made from improperly fermented tobacco will have a lot of ammonina and nicotine and should be very harsh. I don't do harsh.
What will make it worse is that there are a LOT of great cigars at the $4.75/$5 price range (including other Pepin blends like 601 red/black and even DPG black 1979). These will be competing directly with those and if they don't measure up, I doubt they'll make much of a splash.

Although, there will always be some folks who are swayed by the Tatuaje branding so who knows.
Totemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 05:34 PM   #30
duckmanco
Can't stop whats coming

Location: that forsaken stretch of wood they call Whiskey Grove
duckmanco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totemic View Post
What will make it worse is that there are a LOT of great cigars at the $4.75/$5 price range (including other Pepin blends like 601 red/black and even DPG black 1979). These will be competing directly with those and if they don't measure up, I doubt they'll make much of a splash.

Although, there will always be some folks who are swayed by the Tatuaje branding so who knows.
I agree, the cigar will, as any other have to be judged on its individual merit. Its going to be tough on it as the mentioned price point is one hell of a broad playing field, and there are some serious contenders in it.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:43 PM   #31
doctorcue
BABOTL - VP of Drinking

First Name: Danny
Trading: (2)
VR
doctorcue is on a distinguished road

Who am I kidding... I'm totally going to buy some. I'm a sucker for Pete & Pepin blends.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:17 AM   #32
Clampdown
I Cut Like a Buffalo

First Name: Brian
Trading: (12)
RA
Clampdown will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celt View Post
Dont get me wrong I really like Tats and DPGs but I do think that a lot of what you get now a days is about the name not so much quality and consistency as it was before they became so popular.

I will always try them when they come out with a new one and continue to smoke the ones I like but I am finding it harder and harder to justify some of the more expensive smokes over Oliva's stuff now a days.

Between the Oliva O Habano and the Vs its becoming increasing hard to find more consistently good cigars.
Are you saying Tats quality has gone down over the past two years? I actually think the complete opposite. Ill grab any PAM/PAN, AVO, TAT, DCM, LADC, VSG and Illusione and stick it next to any Oliva on quality. Sure the price may be higher but in terms of quality, it doesnt get much better then those.
Clampdown is offline   Reply With Quote