Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 08-18-2009, 02:04 PM   #1
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Trading: (0)
Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough
Default Gurkhas G3 Maduro

Sorry, no pictures this time. The ones I took with my phone didn't work.

After smoking several different Gurkhas over the past three years, I can safely say that I am not a big Gurkha fan. I can't put my finger on why exactly, just that the one's I've tried in the past did nothing for me. I just didn't enjoy them.

Last weekend, while I was visiting Jewels Cigars & Pipes in Covington, LA I saw a box of Gurkha G3's sitting in the walk-in humidor. I told the owner that I was unfamiliar with the G3 and asked him about them, explaining that I haven't found a Gurkha that I liked so far. He recommended that I try the G3 and said that he found it to be a pretty good smoke. (Typical salesman).

Anyway I bought three and decided to try one of them this afternoon.

From what I've read this is supposed to be a full bodied, strong cigar. The press doesn't live up to the smoke though as I didn't find it that strong or full bodied. To me it was more of a good mild/medium strength cigar with a nice, smooth flavor. Honestly I didn't find any spiciness until the last two or three inches.

The construction looked good with the exception of one blemish on the wrapper about between the band and the cedar wrapper. It was nice and dark with a pre-light aroma that I found a little floral smelling. I also thought the wrapper had a light sweetness to it. It lit easy and evenly and I picked up a woody aroma. I tried concentrating on the flavor profile but just couldn't pin it down exactly. I found some chocolate, maybe a little licorice but other than that I couldn't readily identify it. However, that doesn't mean it wasn't enjoyable. In fact this was the best of the Gurkhas I've tried. I thought it was cool, flavorful and it produced a decent amount of smoke. And there was no unpleasant aftertaste. Thirty minutes after smoking it I could still smell a pleasant tobacco aroma on my hand.

It burned fairly evenly until it hit the blemish and then I had to touch it up. It didn't burn hot or harsh

The big question is whether it's worth $8.50? I'll have to smoke the other two I have before deciding that question.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:07 PM   #2
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Gurkhas G3 Maduro

This, imho was one of the worst cigars I've seen being smoked. TO me, it smelled like B.O.

But, to each his own.
Thanks for the review!
Old 08-18-2009, 02:19 PM   #3
BC-Axeman

A nice smooth, rich, flavorful, medium bodied cigar that I really enjoy. I love the woody taste it has at the beginning. This and the Vintage Shaggy are the only Gurkhas I have found that I like. Yeah $8+ is pushing it, but you should see the box it comes in.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:17 PM   #4
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the review. I have yet to smoke a Gurkha. Sitting on a few in the humi, just haven't gotten around to torching one yet. Might have to see what all the press (both negative and positive) is all about.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:23 PM   #5
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Trading: (0)
Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
This, imho was one of the worst cigars I've seen being smoked. TO me, it smelled like B.O.

But, to each his own.
Thanks for the review!
That's what I feel about the other Gurkhas I've smoked. But this one was different. Didn't smell like B.O. for sure
Old 08-18-2009, 04:56 PM   #6
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
A nice smooth, rich, flavorful, medium bodied cigar that I really enjoy. I love the woody taste it has at the beginning. This and the Vintage Shaggy are the only Gurkhas I have found that I like. Yeah $8+ is pushing it, but you should see the box it comes in.
Yep. Though I don't think I've had one in about a year.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:02 PM   #7
pgagnon

someone told te that you are either a inconditional of Gurkhars or you hate 'em

there is not in between with those. at least thats what i heard.....

i guess ill have to try several to confirm