Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 08-05-2009, 04:18 PM   #1
Mr.Maduro
In Domino Confido

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (83)
HUpmann
Mr.Maduro has disabled reputation
Default Padron Millennium

When I began smoking cigars roughly 5 years ago, it was a Padron Anniversary Maduro (1964 Torpedo) that really got me hooked. I immediately began to buy them whenever I came across them and as many as I could afford.

I searched high and low in B&Ms and online. While searching online I learned of the Padron Millenniums. I had to have one. I think some of my first posts ever on internet cigar forums were "Who has Pardon Millenniums?" I had one response from someone in Missouri (I think) saying his local B&M had them for $60 each. I was so new too cigar forums that I didn't trust it and thought $60 was way too much for a single cigar! Needless to say, I never pulled the trigger and never thought I would come across one.

Imagine my excitement last week when someone on this very forum announced he was selling some. I immediately inquired and he was nice enough to sell me the two I was looking for and for a lower price I was expecting.

They arrived Monday... I can't remember the last NC I've had but was going to review this one no matter what.

The cigar is a beauty to behold. Like any Padron, the quality is top-notch. Sad to say, that was the best part. After I cut it and lit it, my expectations were shattered. The cigar's burn and draw were typical of Padron - perfect. The smoke was thick and bountiful. The flavor - not so much. The first 2-3 inches had a slight perfume aftertaste - not pleasant like florals that are sometimes tasted in cigars, but kind of like old-lady perfume. It was slight, and this was a cigar I've been wanting to try for a long time so I kept on. The perfume taste disappeared (thankfully) and not much else happened after that flavor wise. It was a decent smoke, but no where even close to other Pardon’s I've had even in their regular line. I kept on but finally laid it to rest realizing nothing else was going to change my experience.

Am I sad this cigar sucked? Very much so.
Am I happy I got to try one? Very much so.
Am I starting to think I'm spoiled by Cubans? Very much so.
When will I smoke my other one? Not for a while.

Here are some pics for posterity.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:26 PM   #2
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Padron Millennium

Patrick I'm sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the cigar but thank you for the review.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:27 PM   #3
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Whoa, that's a kick in the pills huh? Sorry about the bad experience.
Scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:34 PM   #4
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Life's a real beach at times, ain't it. Sorry for the dream dashed, but thanks for the review. And your are right about that cigar being a beauty - by the picture, it looks too good to smoke.

Hey, maybe that's the trick!
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:36 PM   #5
themoneycollector
Nicotiana Tabacum

Trading: (108)
Bolivar
themoneycollector has disabled reputation

Sorry that it was a bit of a disappointment. I was extremely tempted when I saw the sale thread. Maybe the next one will make up for this guy.

Thanks for the review
themoneycollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:45 PM   #6
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Sorry the experience wasn't up to your expectations, Patrick, but a Beautiful Cigar, nonetheless!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:46 PM   #7
Jason
the thing under the thing

Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Jason will become famous soon enough

Patrick, I've had much the same experience with older Padron anniversary-quality cigars, more often than not they've been flat for me.

I had a much better success rate on them if super fresh, I don't recall a bad fresh one in fact so maybe 100%

I haven't had one in a year or more, I should revisit them too! Thanks for the reminder
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:55 PM   #8
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Man, I'm sorry that the Padron was a let down! Thanks for the Review Though!

It's a good thing I didn't review it. I think from simply being a Padron whore that excludes me from doing an un-bias review!
Old 08-05-2009, 07:00 PM   #9
GAW
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (9)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
GAW is on a distinguished road

Nice review Patrick - maybe the cigar or maybe your palate has just changed. It happens Cubans or not ! The 64's were the shiz for me a few years ago also - then the 26's came along and were never as good for me. The 40th's were a major dissappointment - just strong and bland so I gave up on Padrons. I have heard it around that they lose flavor upon aging and have experienced it with a few boxes - the tobacco in their premium sticks is worked alot before rolling so maybe fresh is better with them - but who knows! The good news is you've got all those Cubans so smoke away and let bygones be bygones.

Last edited by GAW; 08-05-2009 at 07:13 PM.
GAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:04 PM   #10
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry the stick didn't live up to expectations...but thanks for the review.
kelmac07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:30 AM   #11
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

Thanks for the review! Too bad the stick wasn't for ya. I'll take the rest from you
Adriftpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:35 PM   #12
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Thanks for the honest review!!!

The cigars looks beautiful!!! Too Bad!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote