Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 03-08-2010, 06:51 PM   #381
BigFrank
5 3 1

First Name: Frank
Trading: (25)
Partagas
BigFrank will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fart

I tend to keep blends separate. I've found that extremely strong tobaccos, usually aromatics tend to bleed into others. I'm still pretty newb at this, but I would just keep em separate. Main thing is plastic allows things to bleed out. Glass or tins not so much.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:23 PM   #382
Neuromancer
Will work for Boli GM's

First Name: Marc
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Neuromancer will become famous soon enoughNeuromancer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyrayvalentin View Post
I just landed a sampler in the Newbie Pipe Tobacco Trade with English blends, Aromatics, and Vapers. I remember reading something about certain pipe tobacco's soaking up the aromas in the air around them.

Is it okay to keep several different blends in close proximity to each other as long as they are all in their tins or zip locked?

Would there be any reason to separate certain blends from the rest?

Could several different blends be kept together in a mason jar or other sealed container as long as they are all individually zip locked?

Thanks in advance.
I have to agree...for a short time the baggies will be fine...I wouldn't put them altogether in a mason jar or humidor or anything like that...I got the C&D Sampler (1 oz. or so of about 10 different blends) and stuck them in a small empty humidor to keep for a few days and totally forgot about them for ages...when I opened it up again I had a pipe tobacco smell in the humi that I still am working at to get out, and all the blends smelled the same and tasted the same...here an idea...go back to the Newbie Pipe Tobacco Trade thread and you'll see a few links and pics I posted for you showing little humidifiers for pipe tobacco...they use pg solution or distilled water...the best buy and best for your purposes would be the little round button ones...buy two packs of those...10-12 or so...then go to the grocery store or wherever they have canning supplies, and get yourself a box (12) of the smallest mason jars they have...I found half-pint ones that hold what I'd guess to be 2-4 ounces of tobacco in each...use those to dump the contents of the baggies into, drop in a humidifier button and you're good to go...I think it was only a few dollars for the canning jars, and they may even have ones that are half the size of the half-pint ones but I'm not sure as I'm not a maven on canning jars...just looked at what would fit my use for some bulk tobacco I was blending and storing...

PS - or you could just buy the smallest size canning jars and stuff one baggie into each individual jar...the baggie should help keep it moist enough in the jar for a short while and the flavors wouldn't blend...
Old 03-09-2010, 08:27 AM   #383
Gary
waiting for my next smoke

First Name: Gary
Trading: (0)
Gary is on a distinguished road

ok, here's a question:

had my first pipe experience recently, a MacArthur Corncob, tried Westminster, and Billy Budd, and Frog Morton Across the Pond. Tried all 3, and all had a very similar taste, the taste of a mixture of burning plastic and a BBQ pit. Weird. I did see a YouTube review saying the Westminster tasted like burning tires. The wife said it smelled like burning wood.

Wondering if I should try another tobacco, or stick with the 3 that I have?? Quite different than the cigars I've been smoking.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:23 AM   #384
Curly Cut
Not Scary

Trading: (9)
Curly Cut is on a distinguished road

if i recall, all 3 of those are "latakia" blends. i'm guessing on the "billy budd", never heard of it. but i do know that Frog and Westminster are heavy on the latakia and have some oriental as well.

they will be very, very similar in taste due to the amount of latakia in there.
if one were a light english, or a light oriental blend, where there were more Virginias present, you could then taste a little bit of difference between the light ones and the 3 you currently have.

there are other genres of pipe tobacco as well, that don't taste anything remotely close to the 3 you have (amen to that).
right now, i'd say you're smoking full english blends, heavy in latakia, generous helping of orientals, and not as much VAs.
you may want to try different blends in different genres. the problem is, if you're still smoking cigars regularly, and those heavy latakia blends, then a light VA based blend might only taste like hot air to you.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:38 AM   #385
Jack Straw
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (3)
Jack Straw is on a distinguished road

I think a full flavor VA or VAPer stands up to the amount of flavor in a cigar, sometimes more.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:43 PM   #386
BigFrank
5 3 1

Trading: (25)
Partagas
BigFrank will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Cut View Post
if i recall, all 3 of those are "latakia" blends. i'm guessing on the "billy budd", never heard of it. but i do know that Frog and Westminster are heavy on the latakia and have some oriental as well.
Billy Budd:
A heavy Latakia blend with rough-cut burly and bright Virginia flake and a good amount of rough-cut Connecticut and Wisconsin maduro cigar leaf.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:32 PM   #387
Aron
Owner of the Crab Hat!

First Name: Aron
Location: Home: Lexington, MA // Vacation: West Tisbury (on Martha's Vineyard), MA
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Aron is on a distinguished road

I dare say this has become my favorite thread on CA. Congrats, Mr Moo, you have left me thoroughly entertained =D

I'll ask a question as soon as I van get to a proper computer.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:50 PM   #388
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aron View Post
I dare say this has become my favorite thread on CA. Congrats, Mr Moo, you have left me thoroughly entertained =D
Nice to know folks can still get service with a smile these days. And by the way, if you have read all 388 posts there is no way you have a question that isn't answered already. Go back. Read them ALL you lazy slacker.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:09 PM   #389
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
Nice to know folks can still get service with a smile these days. And by the way, if you have read all 388 posts there is no way you have a question that isn't answered already. Go back. Read them ALL you lazy slacker.
based on the picture that kid texted me a few days ago, I wouldnt count on it
Old 03-18-2010, 05:31 AM   #390
Mister Moo

Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrrr View Post
based on the picture that kid texted me a few days ago, I wouldnt count on it
I suppose a few things haven't been well covered yet.

Pipe with a prickly pear cactus growing out the bowl? (How did this happen?)

Pipe dangling from the empennage of a B-52 in flight? (How do I safely reach my pipe? Will 15 hours exposure to -50* damage my pipe?)

Pipe on the deck of the Titanic? (Will great-grandpaws pipe still smoke OK when Ballard brings it up?)
Old 03-18-2010, 02:50 PM   #391
Aron
Owner of the Crab Hat!

Location: Home: Lexington, MA // Vacation: West Tisbury (on Martha's Vineyard), MA
Partagas

Quote:
I suppose a few things haven't been well covered yet.

Pipe with a prickly pear cactus growing out the bowl? (How did this happen?)

Pipe dangling from the empennage of a B-52 in flight? (How do I safely reach my pipe? Will 15 hours exposure to -50* damage my pipe?)

Pipe on the deck of the Titanic? (Will great-grandpaws pipe still smoke OK when Ballard brings it up?)

Mr. Moo, you have NO idea what you've just gotten yourself into.

Prepare to laugh at me, because this is a good one:

From my very first pipe, ever.

Name:  IMG_0151.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  59.0 KB

Let's just say the match flame got a little too close to the bowl for a little too long. And it was so hot there was no safe way to extinguish the smoldering pipe with my fingers.

Needless to say, I smoked roughly an eighth of my new pipe along with the rest of the tobacco.

I've been doing much better since then
Old 03-18-2010, 03:14 PM   #392
wrench turner 85
I'm the Ocho Cinco!

Trading: (0)
Partagas
wrench turner 85 is on a distinguished road

crap happens
Old 03-18-2010, 03:51 PM   #393
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Did the smoke have delicate notes of corn and missouri heartland?

Old 03-18-2010, 04:04 PM   #394
Aron
Owner of the Crab Hat!

Partagas

Amazingly, I didn't really taste any of the corn. And sadly, it was a generic corncob, not a Missouri Meerschaum. I do, however, have these on the way, which I just won from eBay!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
Old 04-06-2010, 05:03 PM   #395
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrrr View Post
pipe oil or anything for that matter.
I cannot say this is great, cause I am a newbie, but all this talk about beeswax made me go
and get an old beeswax candle kit and make a chunk out of it. I rubbed some onto the wood
and polished it with a cotton cloth. The more friction the cloth made, the easier it took to the
bowl and the more lustrous the bowl became. As the bowl would warm, the beeswax chunk applied
now and again applied much easier and smoother. Looks and feels nice.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:39 AM   #396
Mister Moo

Quote:
Attention new pipe smokers!

All pipe and tobacco questions answered.
All pipe and tobacco problems solved.

Terms of Service: to ask you have to have a serious question; to reply you must have a minimum two years pipe smoking experience. (No snob zone.) There are no stupid questions. Nobody can beat someone with a "Use the search funtion" lead pipe. There will be no rude replies no matter how many times your question has been asked - nosir, not in THIS thread. Maybe a little tiny bit of sarcasm though, just to keep it interesting.

Bring it on.
Top post review.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:46 AM   #397
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

How do you guys store your open tins of baccy? I use mason jars but it's kind of annoying having a new mason jar for every new tin I open. Maybe a cooler-dor for pipe tobacco? My other means of storage is a tupperware with baccy in zip loc bags and a humidification device. I don't really like this as it isn't very organized.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-07-2010, 05:58 AM   #398
rhmalone
Still Watching My Back

First Name: R. Harrison
Trading: (5)
rhmalone will become famous soon enough

I keep the tobacco in the ziplock pouch the store puts it in (they label what it is), then I keep those pouches in an old cigar box (an AF 858 box -- I only keep about 6oz or so on hand, about 2-3 different blends).

For what it's worth...
Old 04-07-2010, 06:31 AM   #399
Mister Moo

I try to keep no more tins open than what I'll smoke in a month or so - that way it may dry out a bit but, mostly, only enough to make it improve. Beyond that the plastic-bag thingie works for a few weeks but, in my experience, I leave stuff in a baggie longer than I plan to and it turns to dust. Hard to beat those little glass jam-jars with rubber seals on the lid.

If you try to keep small amounts of tobacco moist with a water-soaked clay button or a (thin-thin) slice of apple you need to be careful not to over-moisten - it's easy to generate mold if you don't sweat the H2O details.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:07 AM   #400
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

In addition to what Dan has mentioned, I use the Libby type glass jars for storage. The lids generally have a soft plastic seal and snug real tight when placed on the jar. You can see an example here:

http://www.nextag.com/Libbey--2700000/glass-jar-with-lid/brand-html

Look for Libby 70995 15oz at the bottom of the page.

You can find these at a very cheap price at your local thrift shop or 99 cent store (hey, they're actually 99 cents too!). Mine will hold around 3 oz each, and the one I recently purchased at the Salvation Army store cost $2.95 and easily holds 8oz+.

Hope this helps you...