Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 03-02-2011, 11:47 PM   #1
Throb
Out of the Ocean!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (0)
HUpmann
Throb is on a distinguished road
Default Dead VinoTemp 28

I come looking for help. I have a VinoTemp 28 (VT-28TEDS) that has been running well for over 5 years. Unfortunately it seems the cooling unit has died. I still hear the fan going but the temperature is reading 80! My hygrometers are only reading 75 but that is too close for comfort for me.

I went to the VinoTemp site and they say the cooling units are on back-order until December which leads me to believe they meant 2010 and haven't updated the site.
http://www.vinotemp.com/View.aspx/33...-2Z--VT-28TEDS
My questions are:

1: Other than Vinotemp's site, does anyone know where to get a cooling unit? I've checked Amazon, Ebay and Google without success.

2: How difficult is it to replace the cooling unit? Are there instructions somewhere out on the web that I just couldn't find?

3: Is about 5 years typical for a cooling unit (especially in Florida?) or is this more the result of a power surge? My unit is plugged directly into the wall and has no surge protector.
Throb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:50 PM   #2
bvilchez
En búsqueda.....

First Name: Bolivar aka Jay
Trading: (76)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Active)
bvilchez has disabled reputation
Default Re: Dead VinoTemp 28

Call them up and see what they say. I had an issue with mine last year where we had a power surge and it fried the control board. $35 later I'm back up and running.

BTW are you using it as a humi or for it's original purpose?

If you're using it as a humi don't even plug it in. Throw some beads in there and you'll be fine.
bvilchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:06 AM   #3
Throb
Out of the Ocean!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (0)
HUpmann
Throb is on a distinguished road

Yes, I'm using it as a humidor, but the room its in gets a bit hotter than the rest of the house especially during the upcoming summer months.

I don't think its the circuit board as the digital readout works along with the internal light.
Throb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:03 AM   #4
earnold25
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (8)
Bolivar
earnold25 is on a distinguished road

Here's a link to their tech support manuals.

link

I'd double check your circuit board with a multimeter, just in case you need to order one of those too. If you took a surge or something there's a chance your output for the cooling unit is fried.

I think in those manuals as well there is instruction on how to swap out the peltier, but if not, I've done it and its easy enough. Just a bunch of screws really. I think its actually hard wired into the board as well, but you can either resolder it or use wire nuts / morrets to reconnect.
earnold25 is offline   Reply With Quote