Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 09-22-2010, 08:24 PM   #1
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough
Default Most Highly Recommended - The Road to Escondido

I'm listening to The Road to Escondido for the umpteenth time; a 2006 collaberation between JJ Cale and Eric Clapton. IMO this is truly a memorable album; one of the great song writers of the 20th century, working with one of history's greatest guitar players. This is a wonderful bend of blues, jazz, and honky tonk, with 11 of the 14 songs written by JJ Cale. There are some big name supporters here too, including Billy Preston, John Mayer, Steve ordan, Derek Trucks, Taj Mahal, and Albert Lee. Clapton has publicly said that he thinks Albert Lee is the worlds greatest guitar player. I genuinely recommend this album to you, worth many listenings to catch all the subtleties. Do it. Download it and listen to something very special.

Here is a portion of the review written by Tom Watson, editor of Modern Guitar magazine:

"Point is, most honky tonk music is direct and raw. J.J. Cale and Eric Clapton guitar fans should love Escondido. Want to hear what these two guitarists (and several of the guest artists on the album) sound like with guitar, amp and nothing in between - direct and in your ear? This is the album. Drop the pre, post and software effects - plug in and play. You're not going to get more pure Clapton guitar work unless you catch him noodling at home."

Last edited by BlackDog; 09-22-2010 at 08:36 PM.
BlackDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:06 PM   #2
dannyboy
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Daniel
Trading: (31)
Trinidad
dannyboy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Most Highly Recommended - The Road to Escondido

Yes, this is a fantastic album. I bought it for my dad right when it came out, as he is a huge Clapton and Cale fan. I heard it once and burned a copy for myself. Some great stuff on there and not an album I every here anyone talk about often.
dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote