Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-23-2011, 06:10 PM   #1
smokin5
Have My Own Room

Trading: (69)
Bolivar
smokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nice
Default smokin5's Blind Shilala Stick Reviews

For those who don't know, Wayner123 & I were chosen to do 5 BTT
(Blind Taste Test) reviews of the same mystery sticks.
See "2008 Blind Smokes Review Reward Contest" in the Contests section.
So as not to influence each other's opinions, Wayne & I are posting our
reviews in separate threads, and we've agreed not to read each others'
reviews until we're done with all 5 cigars. Reviews will be in numerical order.

Here's my review of Blind Smoke No.1:

A box-pressed 6"x50 ring with mottled maduro wrapper.
Packed nicely, there's just a bit of give when lightly squeezed.
Prelight smell is faint - a hint of coffee and socks. Yes, I said socks.
Prelight draw is good, though very faint flavor of tobacco & sweet coffee.

I start with just water, figuring I'll switch to something more complementary once I get a handle on the cigar's flavors. That, and it's 1:00 PM & pretty warm here. Throw on an Allman Brothers mix & sit back.
OK, let's light this Bad Boy!

Initial flavors are disappointing. One-dimensional tobacco & faint coffee, with a flat finish of sharpness; not pepper, more like ammonia. Leaves an oily feel in my mouth. There's just not much to this one. Strength is medium, edging into medium-full. The smoke smells acrid.

After the first 1", I switch to coffee, hoping it will perk up some flavor in the cigar. No dice, the cigar just provides bitter instant coffee taste with a flat finish. On the bright side, draw & burn are good.
I soon try switching back to water, but it doesn't help.

At 2", the bitterness fades. Or are my taste buds getting numb? Whatever, it's soon back anyway. If this weren't a review, I'd pitch the cigar right now. It tastes like that look I got from the prune-faced bun-haired old lady at the supermarket last week when I set down my purchase: 2 big bourbon bottles, 6 wine bottles, a jar of peanuts & a turkey baster. Don't ask.
I soldier on, despite the flat old coffee & bitter bite continuing with every puff. Can I say "puff" here? OK, "draw" it is.

There's no appreciable change or improvement through the second half, though it is stronger. My mouth has a sharp tang of acidic charcoal. And not in a good way. Taste buds are logging onto Craigslist to find a new place to live. There's 1-1/2" left - can I put this down yet? Is anybody looking? (glance over my shoulder) Cool! I pitch it into the ashtray, and grab a cigarette for a better flavor.
End time, 2:50 PM. 1 hour, 50 minutes of discomfort.

Umm, I guess you could say I do not like it. Not one bit.
It hurt my tongue. It taste like sh-- (take that, Dr. Seuss!).
While construction was good, giving no problems in draw or burn, it never delivered in the flavor department; what little taste it gave was unpleasant.
A yardgar to avoid, for sure. It's been a very long time since I've had an El Mejor Espresso, but this reminded me of one. Shilala warned us there was a questionable cigar in the bunch - I sure hope that was it.

I'm not going to give this one a number rating, as I'm afraid any rating I give it might encourage someone to smoke it, and I don't want to be responsible for inflicting such damage to a Brother here. Suffice to say, it is NOT GOOD.
When I find out what it was, I'll post it here.