Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-05-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Project Of The Day : Weeze's Office

I just started working on a whole new office for the Queen of my double-wide.
I've done a bunch of this type of thread, but I don't think I've ever taken one from concept forward.
When I look at projects, I always ask questions about how guys came to their idea, what inspired them, how they designed and laid things out, things of that nature. That's how I learn more and more about designing/building things.

Initially we thought we wanted cabinetry. I gathered up a bunch of info, laid everything out, priced it out, set it aside for about 6 months, and lost all the paperwork.
Then I thought I'd like furniture far more than cabinets. Custom, matching stuff that we can take along with us if we move, or sell if we don't. It'll all be heirloom quality stuff and it'd fetch a very good price.
Then we decided on cabinets again.
Then we switched back to furniture again.
Now I'm designing all the pieces of furniture.

There will be 2 desks, each 5 1/2 feet long. Then there's a cabinet that's essentially be a print center. There's a massive corner piece for storage.
The corner piece pretty much drives the bus. I have to mock it up on the floor to see how it'll work, make adjustments, then design it.
The desks I can design in my head and take them right to software. The print stand is easy, too.

Once I've designed each piece, I'll do what's called "taking off material". I'll lay out exactly the sizes of lumber I need, itemize them, and head to the mill for half a day of picking.
When I get the lumber home I'll start making sawdust.
I'll build all the parts for the 2 desks first, build and finish one, take it in the house, then build and finish the other. Subject to change.

That's all for now, I'll just drop one pic of concept and layout and check back in later.
I've never built any of these things, so go easy on me.

Weeze did not dig the Han Solo in Carbonite desk that was the obvious first choice.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Project Of The Day : Weeze's Office

Cant wait to see what you build. You sir are a craftsman
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:02 AM   #3
Gophernut
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Trading: (15)
Diplomatico
Gophernut will become famous soon enoughGophernut will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post

Weeze did not dig the Han Solo in Carbonite desk that was the obvious first choice.

Women. If I live to be 100 yrs old, I'll never figure them out. Looking forward to watching this thread!
Old 01-06-2013, 09:41 AM   #4
chaase321
ZOTL's mmmmm brainssss

First Name: Cole
Trading: (81)
Partagas
chaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the rough

Gonna look really nice Scott! Can't wait
Old 01-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #5
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Excited to see what you come up with Scott!
Old 01-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #6
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

All my elevations are finished. The cool thing about this software is that once I've created every elevation, I can take off a parts list relatively easily. I do have to remember to add a couple inches to the tenoned pieces because I didn't reflect them in my drawings.

The "parts list" will reflect every single piece of wood in this desk, as well as each piece's dimensions. If someone else wanted to build this desk, they could easily do it with a picture of the finished desk, the elevations, and the parts list.
I could find desk plans that I could purchase. They don't include elevations, or they are very poor and basic. They're almost always wrong, too. That generally comes from drawing things on paper with dimensions. It's really hard not to transpose a number or get a wrong dimension because you can't stack parts in your head as you build, or easily back-check, or keep a fast workflow where you don't forget things.
When a designer begins cutting parts they'll normally catch it, but don't go back and adjust plans because it's a huge amount of work. Then the parts list doesn't match the drawing at that point, so things become a bit messy, but they'll still sell the plans because they're within a margin of error that's considered acceptable.
With plans, I can't build exactly what I want, either. So I just do everything from scratch. It's easier.
If I weren't so lazy I'd take notes along the way, and when I build the desk, take notes and explain how I put stuff together. That would make for the best plans in the world and I could sell them very easily. I don't want to.

I may take off the parts list today, but I have the flu and I'm stupid. I'll probably forge ahead, then check my work when my head clears.
Then I can figure out how much lumber I need and head to the Amish Sawmill, not get enough lumber, come home, start working, and wish I'd have gotten more lumber.

I have to build two of these desks. Mine is going to be a little different than Lisa's, but I probably won't draw it.
There are a lot of huge panels in this project, so it'll be slow going. I'm looking forward to seeing how long it takes by tracking progress in this thread.

Here's a couple pics of the elevations. I'll add a parts list later just to give you an idea of what it takes and how it's done.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:37 AM   #7
x man
Opus lover since 1995

First Name: X
Trading: (24)
Montecristo
x man will become famous soon enough

wow
x man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:53 PM   #8
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

I finished up the parts list. Next I'll print it and try to lay out my board footage. That's gonna be tough. There's a LOT of lumber in these two desks. Heck, there's a lot of lumber just in the desktops.
Once I get that list together I'll go fetch my trailer and head to the mill. Maybe tomorrow.
Thing is that it's up to about 45* here now and the roads are going to be a sloppy mess. I'll have to wrap this lumber or let it get all muddy, not that that matters. It'll just dull my planer blades, that's why it's best to keep it clean.

Anyways, here's a parts list just to give you an idea of how easy it looks. It takes a lot of brain time to get from concept to parts list. Now I can just go back to being a dimbo and watch Family Guy and sports radio all day while I work.

Oh, I wanted to mention what the "g" means in the measurements. It's just a note for me so that when I make the piece I get the grain correct. The grain is intended to span that specific dimension.
Ya can't have grain running left and right where it's supposed to go up and down, it looks awful. That'd be a lot of wasted work and the piece would get cut up for smaller parts. I try to avoid that, but I screw up every now and then. It's hard to think of all that stuff all the time while you're working.

Large Panels

8 - 26g x 25.5 x .75
sides and centers for 2 desks, 4 get panelized
2 - 26g x 28 x .75
center Fronts for 2 desks, get panelized
4 - 26g x 18 x .75
left and right front, 2 desks, all get panelized
2 - 68g x 26.5 x 1.0
desktops, get routered reveal, top ground for bartop
4 - 26.5g x 20.5 x .75
pedestals for 2 desks, get routered reveal
2 - 28g x 24 x .75
center drawer frame bottom, 2 desks

Small Parts

8 - 19.5g x 2.25 x .75
base fronts and backs, 2 desks, get 45'd, make long
8 - 25.5g x 2.25 x .75
base fronts and backs, 2 desks, get 45'd, make long
4 - 28g x 3 x .75
center drawer fill, top and bottom, 2 desks
4 - 3.5g x 3 x .75
center drawer fill, left and right, 2 desks

Face Frame Parts

8 - 26g x 1.5 x .75
left and right risers, 6 receive mortises
14 - 15g x 1.5 x .75
all receive tenons, make 2" long

Drawer Fronts

6 - 17g x 5.625 .75
3 - 17g x 11.75 x .75
1 - 24g x 17 x .75 (door front, my desk)
2 - 27g x 4 x .75

Drawer Glides and hardware

11 - pairs Knapt & Vogt 24" glides (3 sets over 100 pounds)
22 - Anachrome front brackets
22 - Anachrome rear brackets
1 - pair socket hinges (or create wood hinges)
56 - 1" screws (center drawer fill)
Old 01-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #9
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

Looking good, Scott.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:18 PM   #10
chaase321
ZOTL's mmmmm brainssss

First Name: Cole
Trading: (81)
Partagas
chaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the rough

oh to have your imaginative talents! About the time you are finishing this they will be finished with building my house..you can come make my office
Old 01-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #11
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

I wasn't in the shop last week, I wasn't feeling good, so no updates to mention. I just studied and did a couple software instructional vids for the guys at at the CNC board where I learn tons of stuff.

I took the boy to fetch lumber this morning. I got a crazy deal on 3 1/2' shorts, like $1.25 a bd/ft for cherry. It's around $4.00 bd/ft when I buy long boards and cut them up.
The cool thing is that all my panels are like 28" tall, so this not only saved me money, but a LOT of work. It's only like 1/16" over 3/4", so I have to plane it very little.
I dragged home a good $2000 of lumber for $600 cause I hit a few discounts for volume, too.
I didn't expect there to be any shorts at all because I cleaned them out last time I was there. When I saw how many were there, I couldn't believe it.
I'll have enough to do both desks and start the the other two pieces I have to do. That's a kickass Monday, right there.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #12
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

I forgot to post a pic of the giant pile of wood that I'm so tickled about...

Old 01-21-2013, 04:03 PM   #13
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Nice score, Scott.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:45 AM   #14
Zane
Have My Own Room

First Name: Zane
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Zane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura about

Can't wait to see it finished!

COO BlindMan's Puff
Zane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #15
IBQTEE1
Crazy K

First Name: Kristin
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
IBQTEE1 has disabled reputation

Looking forward to watching this project.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:39 AM   #16
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

I got that whole crazy pile planed down to 3/4". It's all within .002, I didn't think that was possible. I recently tore the planer apart, cleaned it up and put new blades in her. What a difference!!!
I did leave a pile of stuff at .85" for drawer fronts. I'd like them to be a little thicker than my last ones. That extra tenth of an inch will help a lot. I'll keep any graphics I do shorter, so the whole drawer front will have a nice, heavy feel. I got away with light drawer fronts on the lingerie dresser, but it's not gonna fly here.

Now I have to surface each side of these boards. I'll cut every edge off a couple times to square them. It's gonna take a long time, but then all the lumber will be "grab and go". I won't have to set up to saw or plane except when I make the desktops.

Here's the stuff all cleaned up. I took 8 giant green garbage bags of sawdust off of these boards. That's a lot of sawdust.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:24 PM   #17
Infecting Via PM

First Name: Brendon
Trading: (35)
RA
363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about

Nice!
Old 04-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #18
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Hmmm. New links at photobucket. Let's see if this works after I tweak it...

Here's a pic you can compare to the pile of lumber above. They're all the parts in the parts list, short one top. Almost enough parts to build two giant desks.
I've decided to put a little shelf in the foot space, but it'll get screwed in. I can do that later.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #19
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

This is a pic of parts. Specifically the face frames. These are the panels where the drawers will slide in someday. Probably around July at the rate I've been moving.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:09 PM   #20
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

I try to make myself bleed at least once a day. I keep bandaids right in front of me here at my desk in the shop just to make sure I don't bleed out on any specific day. Actually I don't care about that at all, sanding blood off of panels is just extra work.