Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-26-2009, 08:33 AM   #21
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Samsung Omnia i910

I really wanted this phone but didn't get it as they make you get the monthly internet package. Got the LG Dare instead which is still a cool phone but doesn't have the capabilities as the Omnia.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:09 AM   #22
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak View Post
I really wanted this phone but didn't get it as they make you get the monthly internet package. Got the LG Dare instead which is still a cool phone but doesn't have the capabilities as the Omnia.
My wife has the LG Dare. I like it, but you're right. It doesn't have the same capabilities. Being a Windows guy now having purchased and tweaked my first Windows based phone I doubt I will ever go back. Active Synch with Exchange e-mail alone is enough reason for me.

The Dare is one of the better non-WindowsMobile phones IMO. It's very easy to use, touchscreen, and has a 3.2MP camera.

Nothing against those who like them but, I can't stand BlackBerry phones. Work makes us pass one around for on-call. What a turd. I know it's not the latest hardware, but that's not the biggest problem. The menus and settings are counter intuitive. I would expect settings for something to be in on place and it takes me 10 min of screwing around with it to find it's real home. It drove me crazy whenever I had to carry that thing. Now I just forward it to my personal phone as well as the special e-mail notifications for on-call. *Rant Over*
Old 03-26-2009, 09:43 AM   #23
smokeyandthebandit05
Feeling at Home

First Name: Rich
Trading: (1)
smokeyandthebandit05 is on a distinguished road

I still love my Dare. Everyone told me I would get tired of the touch screen after a few weeks of playing with it. Ive had it since I guess August and still love it. I wish I waited and got the Omnia just because I feel its better. I couldnt believe how fast the internet was on the Omnia compared to the Dare
Old 03-26-2009, 11:57 AM   #24
Jason
the thing under the thing

Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Jason will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
I've registered with HowardForums.com and Madoco.com

I'm registered at modaco as yayson I believe, never was a regular poster, just registered when trying to mod an earlier winmobile device

Please let me know what kind of cable you have/made to do the TV out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AUDIO-VIDEO-TV-OUT-AV-CABLE-GPS-SAMSUNG-i900-Omnia-i908_W0QQitemZ250393996547QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPDA_A ccessories?hash=item250393996547&_trksid=p3286.c0. m14&_trkparms=72:1234|66|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301 :1|293:1|294:50 There is another cable out there that is a junction hub for USB, tv out and headphones, may be a better idea (charge while you watch a movie)

Please let me know if you find any cool new tweaks or need help with any. I've done a dozen or so, so I might have done the one you're looking at already.

The links I posted previous to the SPB software really are outstanding. Samsung's ROM has improved a lot of things like finger gestures and stuff that have made winmobile more touch friendly so there's some standard SPB stuff I don't think I'll need. So far I have just installed MOBILE SHELL (much better today(now)screen, speed dial and menu shell) and WALLET (256bit encrypted wallet that syncs with desktop). I think that these 2 are going to cover the majority of my useability needs in tandem with the samsung improvements but SPB has a ton of other great winmobile software. Phone Suite and Pocket Plus are really useful as well but some of the features overlap between all the stuff I have going now

This is a huge list for both i900 and i910. Be careful as there are quite a few that are for the i900 that will not work on your i910.

actually ended up getting the 900

Another excellent forum I use to find more tweak info:
http://www.xda-developers.com/

That is a GREAT place for HTC stuff, I got the Custom Schaap ROM for my HTC Hermes there, best rOM for a touch screen phone ever, best today screen anyway, everything I wanted right there and beautiful still

Being a Windows guy now having purchased and tweaked my first Windows based phone I doubt I will ever go back. Active Synch with Exchange e-mail alone is enough reason for me.

you can actually do some admin with winmobile and wifi on windows domains, you're hooked for life
this thing is like an iPhone, only useful!
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:36 PM   #25
Jason

Bolivar

I've been using finger suite for a few weeks now and it's really nice, specifically the Windows menus augmentation, a lot fatter touch areas

I have this phone loaded down already, it's crazy how many functions it performs for me nowadays. Still cannot heat a room or inflate a tire though =\
Old 04-11-2009, 06:41 AM   #26
Will herf for food

VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Well my i910 GPS was disabled by Verizon unless you paid $10/month for their Navigator service. They released a statement that they would unlock in the first half of 2009. Well the ROM was leaked, I loaded it and now my GPS works. Woohoo!!!

I downloaded FingerSuite, but I haven't tried it yet. Thanks for the opinion on it. I will give it a try. Have you loaded Advanced Configuration Tool? It allows you to modify the scroll bars and arrows for all WinMo windows. You can do it manually in the registry, but its easier in the GUI. If you search HowardForums or MoDaCo you can find it easily. It does 100s of commonly modified settings all in one GUI. It's a great freebie tool.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:06 AM   #27
Will herf for food

VR

ROM leaked by Verizon includes unlocked GPS. AGPS is not working so it takes a little while to get a good lock. I also have toyed with tethering, which is sharing your phone's data connection to your PC/laptop. It works like a champ with a certain cab file install and you don't have to pay VZ $15/month for it.

If anyone has one of these phones and needs info on how to do this stuff, shoot me a PM or post here in this thread. I'm lovin my Omnia (i910).
Old 04-23-2009, 10:35 AM   #28
Jason

Bolivar

I've had a bit of a bother with this thing and was about to start looking for a solution or hack:

bluetooth, my previous HTC could bluetooth files automatically (it would turn bluetooth on when needed and off when finished transferring).

I'm forever bluetoothing files on this i900 only to realize that I haven't turned the bluetooth on, d'oh! This is irritating according to the habits I'd formed from my previous phone.

I have found out that I can leave the bluetooth on all day long and it doesn't eat 10% of the battery. Nice to know and didn't have to add anything on top to solve the problem.

FYI
Old 04-23-2009, 11:29 AM   #29
Will herf for food

VR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I've had a bit of a bother with this thing and was about to start looking for a solution or hack:

bluetooth, my previous HTC could bluetooth files automatically (it would turn bluetooth on when needed and off when finished transferring).

I'm forever bluetoothing files on this i900 only to realize that I haven't turned the bluetooth on, d'oh! This is irritating according to the habits I'd formed from my previous phone.

I have found out that I can leave the bluetooth on all day long and it doesn't eat 10% of the battery. Nice to know and didn't have to add anything on top to solve the problem.

FYI
If you use the "Samsung Today 2" today screen, it has a settings button that gives quick access to BT, Wireless, Flashlight, etc. It's not listed in the today items by default, but it is installed. You have to add a few registry entries and then it'll show up. Modaco has instructions, or I have a reg file if you want to try it.

Mike
Old 04-23-2009, 11:35 AM   #30
Jason

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
If you use the "Samsung Today 2" today screen, it has a settings button that gives quick access to BT, Wireless, Flashlight, etc. It's not listed in the today items by default, but it is installed. You have to add a few registry entries and then it'll show up. Modaco has instructions, or I have a reg file if you want to try it.

Mike
SPB Mobile Shell (my preferred GUI) gives quick enough access, it's just not like me old phone that spoiled me by requiring no input from me at all! Next best think I know of is a registry tweak to toggle BT tied to a hardware button.

but really, leaving it on at all times is perfect. Never seen a phone where it didn't consume a lot of battery tho, this one it does not!