Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 07-29-2009, 09:17 AM   #541
Steelergar

Default Re: Official MMA Thread

nice post NCradioman, I have only watched part one so far but I guess this was made before they folded?
Old 07-29-2009, 12:40 PM   #542
Steelergar

Vitor Belfort is going to fight a Savati kickboxer in Betetti Combat promotion in Brazil. It is the first mma promotion to be brodcast live on network TV in Brazil. Lil Nog is on the card fighting the self proclaimed Brazilian killer Alex Stiebling. Ricardo Arona is also on the card making his return to mma after 2 and a half years. Paul Filho and Pedro Rizzo is on the card as well. It takes place Sep 12th.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:23 AM   #543
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Anderson Silva has signed to box Roy Jones Jr.

UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson The Spider Silva (24-4) has made it clear that he plans on retiring from the UFC once his contract expires. As of now, Anderson has four fights with the Ultimate Fighting Championships, the most recent on August 8th in Philadelphia against contender Forrest Griffin.

However, according to Anderson himself in a recent conversation with Fighters Only Magazine, he has no intentions of retiring from hand-to-hand combat altogether once hes through in the Ocatagon.

Its been talked about for close to a year now and Silva has recently confirmed that there is no question about it; hes going to box Roy Jones Jr. As a matter of fact, contracts have been inked and its only a matter of time from here.

It is undoubted that I will face Roy Jones, revealed Silva. We have talked too much, have signed some contracts and we want to make it the sooner the better. Its not for money or spotlight, its for my desire.

I watch Roy Jones since he competed as an amateur and in the Olympic Games. Im looking forward to this fight to put in the ring everything I know, to show my students in the future that I understand what I may say over this or that and dont seem a pirate parrot.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

M-1: No Fedor in UFC Without Co-Promoting

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Fedor Emelianenko, the top-ranked heavyweight in the world, will not fight in the UFC unless Dana White and company agree to co-promote with Emelianenkos partners at M-1 Global.

M-1 Global CEO Vadim Finkelstein made that clear Wednesday at a news conference in Anaheim, Calif. Finkelstein confirmed that M-1 Global had negotiated with UFC officials as recently as Tuesday.

We are open, Finkelstein said. We do want to work with the UFC. We do want to work with other promotions.

Finkelstein said the UFC made a new offer to Emelianenko, and M-1 Global made a counteroffer. However, Finkelstein said Emeliananko would not proceed without a co-promotional effort between M-1 and the UFC where they shared expenses and profits.

Finkelstein also communicated that the UFC's representation in the media of his negotiations with the organization has not been accurate. He said Emelianenko has been made completely aware of any deals, past and present, that have been offered.

"I have 100 percent faith in Vadim and M-1 Global," Emelianenko said.

M-1 Global also pressured the UFC by saying they are in talks with other shows, including Strikeforce.

We're not going to wait, Finkelstein said. We have to move forward. It might be that very soon we will be able to announce a deal with another promotion. I'm going to tell you that we're only going to work under co-promotion conditions.

Interesting. Dana would be an idiot not to co-promote with M-1. I can see M-1 and Strikeforce becoming a major, major player.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aleksander Emelianenko Blames Fedor's Manager
By Raj Giri | July 28, 2009
FightLine.com Staff

Aleksander Emelianenko Blames Fedor's Manager For Fedor Not Being In The UFCAleksander Emelianenko, brother of Fedor Emelianenko, feels that Fedor's manager, Vadim Finkelstein, is the reason why the UFC and his brother can't come to terms on a deal. Aleksander believes that Finkelstein is only interested in pushing his own business projects through his brother's fights.

"You can deal with UFC, I know that they have flexible contract system," Aleksander Emelianenko told Sports.ru. "All these talks about 'strict' contract terms with signing with UFC, come ONLY from Vadim Finkelstein, who wants to push his owns business projects through Fedor's fights"

Fedor appeared to be headed to the UFC in June of 2007, however negotations failed after Finkelstein demanded that the UFC work with his Russian M-1 Global promotion and permit Emelianenko to compete in combat sambo tournaments.

The UFC has since stated that they may allow Fedor to continue to compete in sambo to sign him. However, Finkelchtein still wants Fedor's fights to be co-promotional efforts with M-1 Global, a term virtually guaranteed to not be accepted by the UFC.

This is the moment of truth that the UFC has talked about," Finkelchtein told Mixfight.ru over the weekend. "We want to talk to the UFC about having Fedor compete against some of their fighters, but only within the framework of co-promotional efforts with M-1 Global.

Last edited by NCRadioMan; 07-30-2009 at 12:32 AM.
NCRadioMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:04 AM   #544
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
RyJ Army (Served With Honor)
Ken is on a distinguished road

The offer being reported that the UFC is giving to Fedor will be the largest ever done. They will make Fedor and the M-1 morons very rich. 30 million plus PPV cuts and free M-1 advertising and Fedor can go back to Russia and play Sambo. Fedor would be an idiot if he doesn't cut the cord to this guys.

I'm telling you now, if he doesn't sign with the UFC I'll never bother with another one of his fights. If he truely wants to fight the best and prove himself here's his chance. And being led like a dog by M-1 he'll get his 1mil cut out of the whole deal.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:10 AM   #545
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

I think fedors a great fighter....he has proven it time and time again, but i just see ufc as a different animal, even tho he's already beaten like 5 former ufc hw champs, i don't know maybe it's just a feeling i have
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:39 PM   #546
Steelergar

Fedor is part owner of M-1 which is why he wants copromotion. 5 million is a joke compared to the 12 plus million he would get from a copromoted fight. Every mma orginization copromotes except the UFC because their trying to monopolize the sport. There are better matchups out there for Fedor to take anyway. The UFC heavyweight division is still a joke. In my opinion Brock is paper champ that brings more money to Zuffa. and why does it have to be a 6 fight contract?
Old 07-30-2009, 02:14 PM   #547
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
RyJ Army (Served With Honor)
Ken is on a distinguished road

The UFC is offering much more than 5 million. And as far I as know Fedor doesn't own any part of M-1, his manager does. Vadim Finkelstein takes care of the negotiations and Fedor states that he trusts him with what ever decisions he makes.

M-1 brings very little to the table for co-promotion. They could possibly help the UFC into the Russian and Asian markets.

There are 1 or 2 legit fights for Fedor and then he'll be back to the circus. He can go to Dream and fight Barnett as they do not care about roids.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:23 PM   #548
Steelergar

yeah there offering 30 million total but if Fedor wins his first fight, he is worth more than 5 million a fight. and yes Fedor is a shareholder in M-1. Outside of America Fedor is hugely popular while Brock is relatively unknown. M-1 promotes fights all over the world.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:33 PM   #549
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelergar View Post
yeah there offering 30 million total but if Fedor wins his first fight, he is worth more than 5 million a fight. and yes Fedor is a shareholder in M-1. Outside of America Fedor is hugely popular while Brock is relatively unknown. M-1 promotes fights all over the world.
Fedor has next to no mainstream draw. Look at the lame Affliction PPV numbers they were doing. The only reason Fedor would make that kind of money is because he would be fighting what's likely to be the UFC's biggest PPV draw in history, Brock Lesnar. Him headlining 100 did more PPV buys than any other PPV. If he continues to run through opponents like has, there is no doubt he'll be a bigger draw than Chuck and Tito.

In conclusion, Fedor isn't worth more than $5 million a fight, he's not worth close to five million simply because he doesn't have the mainstream draw at this point. The UFC will go on without Fedor and will continue to flourish while Fedor and his insane management go and fight the likes of Brett Rogers. The risk to sign to the UFC is just too much to Fedor. Him and Vlad will go on kidding themselves thinking Fedor deserves to be number one, when in reality, they're ducking the competition that lies in the UFC. If he's so bad, prove it. If not, I could care less about him or any of his future fights as do the rest of the majority of casual MMA fans. The only worthwhile opponents out there that aren't in the UFC I can see are Overeem and Barnett. Hey, maybe we'll get Fedor vs. Jose Canseco on NYE this year!
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:30 PM   #550
Steelergar

Antonio Silva and the guy that beat fedor in combat sambo, and roger gracie are more opponents for him. Who does the UFC have to give him a serious competition?
Old 07-30-2009, 04:41 PM   #551
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

The guy that beat fedor in sambo that's never had an MMA match? Antonio Silva I agree with though. Roger Gracie has had 2 fights, one 3 years ago and one a year ago. Sure he's a Gracie, but that's about it. As far as the UFC, there's obviously Brock. If he gets by Brock, there's guys like Shane Carwin, Gonzaga, possibly Mir in the future depending if he bounces back, Junior Dos Santos if he continues on the streak he's had, and of course Couture. Granted he's aging and the upcoming fight against Nog will tell a lot. All would likely be great match ups and would yield Fedor much more exposure to an audience that he doesn't have than M1 and Dream would.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:43 PM   #552
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

Who knows what to believe?

M-1 COO: Report of six fight, $30 million offer from UFC “completely ludicrous”

Reports have surfaced over the course of the past 24 hours that M-1 Global officials and Fedor Emelianenko turned down a six-fight, $30 million contract offer from the UFC. But in a new exclusive interview with Sherdog.com’s Loretta Hunt, M-1 Global Chief Operating Officer Joost Raimond is quoted as denying that such an offer exists.

Raimond labeled the report as “completely ludicrous” while revealing that talks with the UFC never progressed to a point where a specified number of fights was finalized.

Raimond was also quick to point out that the UFC’s offer did not approach anywhere near the $30 million figure that many claim Fedor and M-1 was offered.

“I can say that the guaranteed — and the word ‘guaranteed’ is of great importance here — the guaranteed offer made by the UFC is less than what Fedor made before,” Raimond told Hunt. “The five-million (per fight) is way, way, way out of range. Half of that is even way out of range of what they offered.”

Regardless of the money, Raimond reaffirmed that a major sticking point in the negotiations is the UFC’s insistence to sign Fedor as a UFC fighter with no connection to M-1.

“We made it clear that Fedor, now and forever is part, even part owner, of M-1 and those two cannot be separated,” Raimond is quoted. “If the rest of M-1 is excluded from any kind of deal, it makes the deal difficult.”

http://www.m-1global.com/lang/en/200...rous%e2%80%9d/
Old 07-30-2009, 04:48 PM   #553
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

Cohiba

The offer that was made to Fedor was not 30 Million as the article somewhat states above, but it kind of was. Apparently the guaranteed amount to actually show up and fight was in the neighborhood of what he was making at Affliction, but a little less. The 30 million figure was an estimated number based on the points he was getting on PPV buys and the cut he was getting off the points that the UFC was giving M1.

Does the current #1 HW fighter in the world deserve to have the highest guaranteed check from the UFC? Absolutely. But to say that he deserves these ridiculous figures is insane. Like I said before, the UFC doesn't need him. Would it be nice to have him? Sure. But in the end, they bent so many of their previous rules and stances they took with fighters to make this happen and M1 continued to be difficult. Good riddance Fedor.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:56 PM   #554
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

I have a feeling that Fedor is already in the UFC and all this is is to get people talking about it. And if you look at MMA boards and MMA news outlets, that's all they are talking about. I wouldn't be surprised to see Fedor in the audience at UFC 101 on the 8th.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:09 PM   #555
Steelergar

If he is, Brock's gonna have a hard time sleeping.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:55 PM   #556
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelergar View Post
If he is, Brock's gonna have a hard time sleeping.
I am one of the biggest Brock fans you will find but I think Fedor would crush him.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:49 PM   #557
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
I am one of the biggest Brock fans you will find but I think Fedor would crush him.
I'm not a Brock fan at all, I think he's an arrogant asshole and he does nothing but piss me off, but I'll gladly bet a box of cigars that Brock wins if they fight.

Honestly, I think it's going to be extremely hard for anyone under 260-270lbs to beat him. He's so damn fast and big that once he's on top of you, it's likely gonna be game over. I wanted Mir to crush Lesnar, but obviously that didn't happen... One person in the MMA world that I think could have a good shot at him would be Overeem. But once again, Brock is so dominant when it comes to wrestling that if it went to the ground, it could be over. I'd really like Brock's next fight to be some that has a great Muy-Thai/Kickboxing background that is a good size and is solid on the ground.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:12 PM   #558
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalMan View Post
I'm not a Brock fan at all, I think he's an arrogant asshole and he does nothing but piss me off, but I'll gladly bet a box of cigars that Brock wins if they fight.
That's exactly what he and Dana wants.

Sorry, I don't bet. No matter the situation, I would lose. Ask Icehog.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:15 PM   #559
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
That's exactly what he and Dana wants.

Sorry, I don't bet. No matter the situation, I would lose. Ask Icehog.

It's true! It's true!!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:30 AM   #560
Steelergar

I think Fedor's too good on the ground to let someone lay on top of him. Plus Brock has been rocked by couture and that knee by Mir and not to many hit harder than Fedor. I see Brock getting his face beat the hell up like Heath Herring did when he faced fedor or victory by leg lock.