Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-28-2016, 10:10 AM   #1
Rmufb71
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Joel
Trading: (1)
Rmufb71 is on a distinguished road
Question Black spots on hartflet beads. HELP!!#

Hey I'm hoping some one can help me. I had my beads in cheese cloth bags. I opened my humidor to see blackish green spots on the bags. I took them put immediately. I emptied the bags into bowls. And saw a good many of the beads had the spots on them too.... can I save them? Should I be worried about my cigars? Can I do anything to protect them? Any advice is appreciated.
Rmufb71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:42 AM   #2
srduggins
Feeling at Home

First Name: steve
Trading: (37)
LGC
srduggins will become famous soon enoughsrduggins will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Black spots on hartflet beads. HELP!!#

I'm not an expert, but I'd say it's time to get new beads. Perhaps you kept them too moist. I did that since I didn't want to keep rehumidifying them as often and that happened to me too. I wouldn't worry about the cigars in your humidor. I do know what not to do. Don't try cleaning the beads with rubbing alcohol and reusing them. That will change the humidifying %. You might be able to do that and recalibrate them in salt or something, but I'd just buy some new beads.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:12 AM   #3
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I agree with Steve, I'd pitch those. Sounds like mold.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:18 PM   #4
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I agree with Steve, I'd pitch those. Sounds like mold.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:29 PM   #5
Rmufb71
Just in from the Storm

Thanks all. The in the trash... gel beads will have to do until the new heartfelts arrive.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:37 PM   #6
czerbe
Just a Traveling Man

First Name: Corey
Trading: (2)
Partagas
czerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura about

What kind of water are you using? Distilled?
Old 01-28-2016, 12:58 PM   #7
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

The active (humidity control) ingredient in many of the bead products is specifically in there to inhibit mold growth.
If they've gone moldy, there's a reason.
With the greatest of respect, Joel, it's pretty much got to be user error.
I only mention it so you can figure out what you're doing and do it differently so they last longer and you get your money's worth.

You should never run water over the beads. That'll wash away the mold inhibiting substances.
You should never over-water the beads. 80% humidity will allow mold growth.
You should place the beads in open air, rather than a box or something.

There are a lot of do's and don'ts.
If you outline exactly how you manage and care for your beads, the guys will easily help you figure out where things are going south.

All the humidity control products are simple to use, but they all have a "don't deviate from the instructions" factor to them. That stuff is there for good reason.
Let's get you ironed out, brother!!!
Old 01-28-2016, 02:05 PM   #8
mncigarguy
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
mncigarguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by czerbe View Post
What kind of water are you using? Distilled?
I would assume not distilled!!!
Old 01-28-2016, 09:07 PM   #9
Rmufb71
Just in from the Storm

I have used destilled.... but I was dunking them in the cheese cloth sack and shaking it out. and then putting it in a small tupaware container and last time I did it they where still pretty saturated... Sounds like I am messing up everywhere. Appreciate the help!

Also i am doing an expirment with a spare and empty tupador and the old beads. Cooked them at 350 for an hour to kill the mold and put them in there to see in a similar set up but not as wet to see if it regrows. I am interested to see if they can be salvaged... if they can't no biggie more are already on the way.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:40 PM   #10
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

For the record I would listen to Scott when it comes to beads, he tends to have to inside knowledge on them. Heh
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 07:00 AM   #11
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

I have used the heartfelt beads for years, but have switched over to the HCM beads as they just work better for me. I see where everyone says not to wet the beads directly, but if you check Heartfelt's FAQs, that actually say you can pour distilled water directly on them.

They also suggest putting in a bowl of water next to the beads until they max out, but the preferred method is to use a spray bottle filled with distilled water.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:54 AM   #12
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Joel, you figured out what you're doing wrong and why.
I'd probably chuck the old beads as soon as the new arrive, but that's just me.
There are a few sensible reasons, but I don't think they're scary enough to mention.
I still think I'd just err on the side of caution, you have a big investment in your smokes!!!

Good Luck, brother!!!
Old 01-30-2016, 09:59 AM   #13
Rmufb71
Just in from the Storm

Thanks for the advice Scott, you make a good point i like to burn my sticks, but not all at once and because of disaster!
Old 01-30-2016, 12:55 PM   #14
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsolomon View Post
I have used the heartfelt beads for years, but have switched over to the HCM beads as they just work better for me. I see where everyone says not to wet the beads directly, but if you check Heartfelt's FAQs, that actually say you can pour distilled water directly on them.

They also suggest putting in a bowl of water next to the beads until they max out, but the preferred method is to use a spray bottle filled with distilled water.
Yah I think I remember hearing that pouring water directly on them can cause the little fractures in them, where as spraying them won't cause the structural damage, something like that anyway.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 02:55 PM   #15
srduggins
Feeling at Home

First Name: steve
Trading: (37)
LGC
srduggins will become famous soon enoughsrduggins will become famous soon enough

I sprayed distilled water on mine, but over wet them and shook the excess off. That's a no-no too. It changes the humidifying % and lead to those same black spot mold.