Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-01-2009, 09:59 PM   #1
wavescrashing
Unofficial CA Boli Ho

First Name: Mike
Trading: (19)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Active)
wavescrashing has disabled reputation
Default Any Sports card collectors here?

I've been collecting autographs, game-used, and rookie cards of baseball and football players for almost ten years now and was just curious if any other CA BOTL were collectors as well.
Lately, I've been selling off some of my lower-end autographs to buy boxes (especially gold medals).
wavescrashing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:02 PM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Any Sports card collectors here?

Sold off my collection of 70s and 80s hockey cards to fund some cigar purchases a few years back. Don't have any left.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:02 PM   #3
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

I was heavy into baseball cards and then sold off most of my non-Yankees cards. Right now they are all in storage until I can dig them out and sell them off along with the rest of my memorabilia.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:05 PM   #4
KidRock
Moped Herf Crew

First Name: Jon
Trading: (17)
Trinidad
KidRock has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavescrashing View Post
I've been collecting autographs, game-used, and rookie cards of baseball and football players for almost ten years now and was just curious if any other CA BOTL were collectors as well.
Lately, I've been selling off some of my lower-end autographs to buy boxes (especially gold medals).
I got some stuff from Roger Maris, Phill Rituzzio, Yogi Bera, Reggie Jackson and Jonny Bench...use to be huge into collecting
Old 11-01-2009, 10:10 PM   #5
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

i used to when I was younger.... should probably go through some of those as I'm sure I have at least a few worth some money..... question is, is if they are in good shape
Old 11-01-2009, 10:56 PM   #6
wavescrashing
Unofficial CA Boli Ho

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Sold off my collection of 70s and 80s hockey cards to fund some cigar purchases a few years back. Don't have any left.
I never really got into hockey cards, but recently sold the few jersey autograph cards that I had laying around. They seem to sell pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicCook View Post
I was heavy into baseball cards and then sold off most of my non-Yankees cards. Right now they are all in storage until I can dig them out and sell them off along with the rest of my memorabilia.
Do you keep your Yankee stuff displayed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidRock View Post
I got some stuff from Roger Maris, Phill Rituzzio, Yogi Bera, Reggie Jackson and Jonny Bench...use to be huge into collecting
I have some stuff of those guys too. I still have a Johnny Bench auto'd baseball I picked up about 7 years ago along with a Berra Rookie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King James View Post
i used to when I was younger.... should probably go through some of those as I'm sure I have at least a few worth some money..... question is, is if they are in good shape
It all depends on the era that you grew up in (as far as value goes).
Old 11-01-2009, 10:58 PM   #7
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Quote:
Do you keep your Yankee stuff displayed?
I use to when I had a place to display it. Now it is all boxed up.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:03 PM   #8
Jbailey
Brewcifer

First Name: Dave
Jbailey has disabled reputation

Same thing. I had a lot of cards from the 80's to the early 90's. Still got the complete set of the first year of upper deck cards.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:04 PM   #9
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbailey View Post
Same thing. I had a lot of cards from the 80's to the early 90's. Still got the complete set of the first year of upper deck cards.
That is the Griffey Jr '89 rookie.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:06 PM   #10
Jbailey
Brewcifer

First Name: Dave
Jbailey has disabled reputation

Yup!
Old 11-01-2009, 11:10 PM   #11
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

LGC

I sold a bunch of my 'money' cards off a couple years ago when I ran out of money. Still have some nice stuff if it has survived storage.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:11 PM   #12
wavescrashing
Unofficial CA Boli Ho

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicCook View Post
That is the Griffey Jr '89 rookie.
Don't forget the Biggio
If it get's a high grading, you'll get some potent wallet candelas for a Biggio rookie.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:36 PM   #13
s0leful0ne
Its Huge.

Trading: (22)
RA
s0leful0ne has a spectacular aura abouts0leful0ne has a spectacular aura about

i have some basketball cards

What's that smell?...Swamp Ash
s0leful0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:54 AM   #14
Poronico
Teh Forever Noob

First Name: Jesse
Trading: (5)
Bolivar
Poronico will become famous soon enoughPoronico will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I have some 70's - 90's baseball and football cards, nolan ryan rookie card also Bo Jackson Rookie. its been YEARS since I have even looked at my collection.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:29 AM   #15
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

HUGE collection here. Avid Kenny Lofton collector and TONS of other players...all baseball. Put it this way, I took out a rider policy on my Lofton collection. Game Used cleats/fielding gloves/batting gloves/bat, autographed card, regular card, inserts, 9 seperate 1 of 1 cards, and tons of other obscure Lofton items. Not a great market here in Virginia or I'd be in trouble...LOL!!! I have tons of auto stuff from other players.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:35 AM   #16
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Did it with my son for quite some time.
He was fortunate to have a mom as a manager in a property where most of the teams stayed when they came to play in the Meadowlands. Has tons of big names in Hockey, Football and Basketball via that access.
Met the likes of Super Mario, Gretzky, Shaq and so on.
Lots of cards also stocked away.

Here is one we got just a few short months before he died, in person. I will die with it hopefully as no intention of ever selling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (44.1 KB, 235 views)
Old 11-02-2009, 07:22 AM   #17
Wanger

AWESOME ball! I used to collect all cards. FB, Hoops, baseball, and a few hockey. Sold most of my BIG cards a while back. One of which was a Jordan rookie (had almost that entire year of Fleer cards, so MANY HOFer rookies). Wishing I held onto that one, now. Used to have a McGwire rookie, Jerry Rice, Clemens, Puckett, and MANY others. I think I had like Jordan's first 8 or 9 regular edition cards that were out, and many of the special edition ones. As a kid, though I grew up never seeing him play, and I lived in MN, I LOVED Mantle. The first early prizes to my collection was a pair of Mantle cards I got for Christmas (a '66 and '68 respectively).

Had several autographed cards that I also sold. It was when the bottom was falling out of the market that I sold my stuff off. I wish I still had some of it, because of what the money went to (stuff that I let my ex-wife keep in the divorce so long ago).

I know I still have some things left. I'll have to see if I have anything of value remaining.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:23 AM   #18
wavescrashing
Unofficial CA Boli Ho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poronico View Post
I have some 70's - 90's baseball and football cards, nolan ryan rookie card also Bo Jackson Rookie. its been YEARS since I have even looked at my collection.
The Ryan is from '68 and carries a solid value if in decent condition. I'd browse through just for nostalgia's sake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
HUGE collection here. Avid Kenny Lofton collector and TONS of other players...all baseball. Put it this way, I took out a rider policy on my Lofton collection. Game Used cleats/fielding gloves/batting gloves/bat, autographed card, regular card, inserts, 9 seperate 1 of 1 cards, and tons of other obscure Lofton items. Not a great market here in Virginia or I'd be in trouble...LOL!!! I have tons of auto stuff from other players.
Yes, another thing to throw in a bomb to you (no Lofton, but I'm sure I have some mets autos!). I did the player collection for a while of Dan Marino and Ted Williams, but only kept a couple autos and patches of each. I started an NFL HOF autograph collection a couple of years ago where my goal was to pick up one auto of every player. So far I'm at 131. Here's a couple pics of some of personal collection stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Did it with my son for quite some time.
He was fortunate to have a mom as a manager in a property where most of the teams stayed when they came to play in the Meadowlands. Has tons of big names in Hockey, Football and Basketball via that access.
Met the likes of Super Mario, Gretzky, Shaq and so on.
Lots of cards also stocked away.

Here is one we got just a few short months before he died, in person. I will die with it hopefully as no intention of ever selling.
That is a fantastic piece of memorabilia. I'd do the same.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:47 AM   #19
jwfish81
Just wandering

First Name: Justin
Trading: (1)
jwfish81 is on a distinguished road

Used to be heavy into basketball cards. I had over 25,000 cards in the late 90's, mostly commons, but sold everything I had except for the Jordans. Then I got serious about the Jordans in the early 2000s, buying lots off of e-bay and stuff. Still have around 3 or 4 thousand Jordans, plus a couple tubs of other stuff; magazines, starting lineups, McD toys, even a playboy from 1981? when he was still at NC. WAY too much stuff!
Old 11-02-2009, 08:59 AM   #20
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Just remembered......anyone ever recall flipping cards against a wall to see who got the closest to the edge? Remember if you if you landed on another card it was "topsies"? If you leaned it against the wall, it was "leaners"? All would try to knock your leaner down. Whoever got the closest won all the cards tossed. We use to play in groups of up to 10 of us. They guy that walked away with the grocery bag fullest or shoe box full of cards ruled.

That all said, it is sad the cards I played that with. I don't want to name the names on my cards when I did this in the very early 70's. Makes me want to cry.