Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 05-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
FUEL
Just 6 days...

First Name: James
Trading: (0)
Partagas
FUEL is on a distinguished road
Default Who's been your biggest cigar influence on & offline?

Thought this may or may not be an interesting topic...time will tell.

When it comes cigars, who online and offline has been your biggest influence if you will? For the sake of all responding with Cigar Asylum lets exclude the site as a whole but feel free if you would like to name a specific member or clan of members.

Before I becoming active here, for me online it was Halfwheel. Being a psychological fact that males are visual first, I was drawn to Brooks photography, followed by the more in-depth aspects of the cigar, blend, manufacturer and enjoyed how un-"CA" they were. I enjoyed how they would follow up with with a redux or two as well. To me their UGI just makes sense as does their methodology behind the mayhem. And I get a very non-commercial vibe.

Offline, IRL, a local BOTL at my home B&M we'll just call "Steve" is an immense wealth of information and seems to know just about everything in a "jack of all trades, master of none" sense and he influenced me to go beyond the band and dive into the subtleties and the "romanticism" of cigars beyond a casual smoker.

He got me into as odd as it may sound, actually deeply studying cigars and all their components from the different types priming's of a plant, aging, curing, blends, regions, flavor and strength profiles, notes, profile shifts related to RG size, how to select the prime sticks at a B&M, the men and women behind the band and on and on and on. I've smoked on and off for 20 years but only the last few really got into it and my pallet became very and sorry if its a arrogant way of saying it but is not intended as such "sophisticated." By that I mean I can pick up a lot of the notes and flavors easily that some of my friends cannot. If it tastes good to them then its good enough but I like to go beyond that to pick up specifics if you will, but not quite to the annoying CA level of tasting toasted cedar of a 2' x 2' patch of earth under bessie the cows right hoof with a hint of barnyard and sweat of a 60 year old field worker named Juan.

He also influenced me on how cigars transcend or connect people into so many other hobbies or walks of life out there that under normal circumstances one would not necessarily connect or interact. Example being cigars as a shared experience in connecting a person with hobby "A" or walk of life "A" with a person of hobby "Z" or walk of life "Z" that would normally have no interaction with each other but through the leaf there is that shared experience that draws parallels and perpendiculars from the "A" to "Z" barrier so to speak.

That's my idea for a holiday weekend topic. Anyone else care to share?

to all S/BOTL and please be safe this weekend!

Double to all our brave men and women serving in the military as without you and your courage we would not be here today to enjoy this fine weekend coming up.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:36 PM   #2
Simple1
Livin' the dream

First Name: Brian
Trading: (14)
ERdM
Simple1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Who's been your biggest cigar influence on & offline?

Online and offline, I blame it all on Conch Republican. He's the one that had been such a "bad influence" on me, as well as introducing me to many enablers.
Simple1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:19 AM   #3
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

It all went "downhill" for me after meeting Dave Klugman.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:14 AM   #4
ArgusP2
It's Smokin' Time!

First Name: Angel
Trading: (13)
RA
ArgusP2 is a jewel in the roughArgusP2 is a jewel in the roughArgusP2 is a jewel in the rough

Aaron (lostark374), Carl (rennD), Mo (MoTheMan) and the S.H.I.T. Herfers did me in.

Thanks guys!

-Bdawg
ArgusP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:17 AM   #5
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

It's been a lot of different guys here and back at CS that influenced me, and continue to influence my choices.
I can't break it down to a specific individual because as I did research I'd make posts asking questions about certain cigars and types of cigars, and the whole of the brotherhood would work to educate me.
I also lean(ed) heavily on reviews here.

A few guys I can think of off the top of my head who have made a big impact are Dball, sofaman, icehog3, akumushi, kelmac04, daklugs, lenguamour, blueface, and many, many more.
Each step of the way someone has jumped in to help me learn and experience that particular portion of my slide.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:36 AM   #6
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

For me, it was Dball, hands down.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:06 AM   #7
Zane
Have My Own Room

First Name: Zane
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Zane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura about

I have a friend Mark who started me down this path. However my Zombie brothers really shoved me down the hill.

COO BlindMan's Puff
Zane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:30 AM   #8
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

Dad
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:31 AM   #9
sofaman
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
sofaman is on a distinguished road

One day I was just minding my own business smoking a White Owl Grape and then I met Shilala and things haven't been the same since
sofaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:41 AM   #10
Coach Deg
C O W eieio.

First Name: Mike
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
Coach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of light

Since I can't use CA as a whole, for about the last 6-12 months my taste has been leaning toward Mac and his Maduro Banter.
Coach Deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:49 AM   #11
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

That's him... The one on the left!

Yeah. That's the guy!

Bobarian!!!

Smoke what you like!!!

Last edited by Skywalker; 05-25-2013 at 06:57 AM.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:01 AM   #12
big_jaygee
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Jason
Trading: (59)
big_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to behold

it started when a guy at work handed me a cigar and i smoked it.....hated it. but it got me thinking there has to be better out there so i started looking around.....

found this place and started sliding faster. started listening to a guy named Mac and things have never been the same ever since

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Deg View Post
Since I can't use CA as a whole, for about the last 6-12 months my taste has been leaning toward Mac and his Maduro Banter.
big_jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:25 AM   #13
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Ahbroody(Mike) has been a very bad influence.
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:44 AM   #14
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

Skywalker taught me Arganese are top shelf. I'm now some what of an Arganese snob.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:51 AM   #15
cort
◤◢◣◥

First Name: Gary
Trading: (41)
cort has disabled reputation

My uncle got me in to cigars but things got really bad when I met the S.H.I.T crew, especially my good homie Carl (rennD). I love that dude.
cort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #16
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

offline: Trent Lott and Mike Mansfield
online: the banter crew at Club Stogie
Old 05-25-2013, 09:01 AM   #17
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Offline: I blame it all on George from Pipes by George. Bastid got me started with a Hemingway Classic, and had me smokin a PAM64 Principe for my third ever cigar. It was all down hill from there. Here I am a short ~3.5 years later, having worked in a shop for over 2 of those, and knowing more about cigars than I'd say most anybody my age does(it makes it fun to see the look of shock on peoples' faces when a 22 year old is able to rattle off all that info on any particular stick).

Online: Gotta hand it to the folks a halfwheel. I swear I'm on that site 4 times a day just checkin for new info
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:03 PM   #18
MrClean
Bald Man

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (28)
Montecristo
MrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the rough

Online: I totally blame Scott (shilala)
Offline: my coworker and good friend Ben. We smoke together once a week, usually at my house in the country, where we can shoot guns, then appreciate a good adult beverage and stick.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #19
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Offline: 1976, Ray Nitschke from whom I got my first cigar. 1980-82, the staff at Iwan Ries, they introduced me to premium cigar. My uncle Gary introduced me to Cuban back in 1984-85. Then, Dennis at Riegels in Ft. Wayne in the late '80s into the early '90s. A number of other people have been cigar companions over the years, from who I also learned much.

Without a doubt, there a many from cigar boards who I have learned from, especially CA, but to name them? I would name one and remember a dozen others later on.

Peace of The Lord be with you.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:28 PM   #20
ChicagoWhiteSox

Club Stogie