Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-09-2011, 09:10 PM   #1
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough
Default Lowes rant

So, Lowes is doing Stubbs 15# bags of charcoal for $4.25/bag, which is half off. After getting some quick research on charcoal for my WSM, it seems that Kingsford isn't in good favor with many because of the chemicals/fillers used compared to an all natural charcoal like the Stubbs.

Anyway, here is their 20 minute pick up guarantee word for word(exclusions not copied because none of them applied):

With our exclusive 20-Minute Pick Up In Store Guarantee*, you can get what you need, when you need it. Always free, and always fast.

Simply place an order on Lowes.com and select "Pick Up In Store - Free" as your shipping option, and your order will be ready at the store in 20 minutes. Guaranteed*.

I place the order this morning and get a confirmation at 10:30 am that my order for 20 bags of charcoal will be ready for pick up in 20 minutes. I arrive at the store at 7:30 pm (yes, 9 full hours later) and present my pick up confirmation and it hadn't even been pulled. They had to find the d-bag to find the 20 bags (as there weren't that many on the floor) and get it down from 4 rows up on the selves still on a pallet. Then they had to go off to the parking lot to find a cart to put it on.

The Lowe's "20 minute guarantee" is only a guarantee that you'll wait another 20+ minutes for them to actually retrieve your order once you arrive and not a minute sooner. Sadly, there's no meat to to hold them to it in their guarantee like it's free or anything.

Dumbasses anyway...
[/rant]
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:31 PM   #2
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all
Default Re: Lowes rant

I worked at a Lowes several years ago, sadly I think I was the most intelligent person there. That speaks VOLUMES about how stupid of people work there.

Seriously I could rant for hours about how dumb these people were.

Your experience is nothing surprising to me, sorry to hear that happened though.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:46 PM   #3
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Home Depot FTW
Old 04-11-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

20 bags? That's what I'm talking about. You'll be smoking a while on that, bro!
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
bigswol2
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
bigswol2 will become famous soon enoughbigswol2 will become famous soon enough

Dang I missed it. Not on sale in Raleigh.
bigswol2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:33 PM   #6
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation

So what else did you buy while you were waiting?

I can't seem to get out of a big box without some "extras".
Old 04-11-2011, 02:37 PM   #7
J0eybb
Feeling up at Home

First Name: Joe
Trading: (5)
J0eybb will become famous soon enough

I shop at lowes over HD. I usually use a harbor freight, or osh, coupon for %20 off or $20 off $50. Never had a problem, unlike at HD.
J0eybb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:43 PM   #8
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzle View Post
20 bags? That's what I'm talking about. You'll be smoking a while on that, bro!
Yep,that's a butt load of bags.
Knowing I was getting 50% off on that many bags,they'd have to take a hell of a lot longer than 20 minutes to piss me off
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:21 PM   #9
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68TriShield View Post
Knowing I was getting 50% off on that many bags,they'd have to take a hell of a lot longer than 20 minutes to piss me off

I buy 240#-320# of KF at Home Depot every Labor Day and then again at every Memorial Day when they have it for 50% off, and I'm more than happy to do all my own lifting, lugging and standing in line for those prices.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:54 PM   #10
Darrell

Quote:
It's pretty easy to make me mad, but even I am with Dave on this one.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:57 PM   #11
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation

I just can't get upset over things like that. There is obviously a flaw in the system but it's not necessarily the fault of the folks working there. I spent a lot of years in retail and restaurant management and got to know many good people living at the poverty level or below. I would have spent that 20 minutes getting to know some of the people that were working and giving them that little bit of kindness that everybody needs. BTW: Being nice to people in stores and restaurants pays off. They remember you and will go out of their way to help you next time they see you.

MCS
Old 04-11-2011, 05:06 PM   #12
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Consider yourself fortunate... its full price at my Lowes

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:29 PM   #13
TBone
Equal opportunity Bomber

First Name: Paul
Trading: (25)
ERdM AirForce (Disabled Vet)
TBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the rough

I won't shop at Lowes anymore for similar reasons...I purchased a stove from them with free next day home delivery, but apparently I didn't see in the terms at there convience and I went with out a stove for 5 days...I'm now a Home Depot guy
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:04 PM   #14
smelvis
Not part of the Clique

Trading: (16)
smelvis has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly View Post
I just can't get upset over things like that. There is obviously a flaw in the system but it's not necessarily the fault of the folks working there. I spent a lot of years in retail and restaurant management and got to know many good people living at the poverty level or below. I would have spent that 20 minutes getting to know some of the people that were working and giving them that little bit of kindness that everybody needs. BTW: Being nice to people in stores and restaurants pays off. They remember you and will go out of their way to help you next time they see you.

MCS

Brother IMHO this is probably the best post I have seen anywhere in a long time, Good on you!
smelvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:26 PM   #15
thebayratt
Still Watching My Ash

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (11)
RA
thebayratt will become famous soon enoughthebayratt will become famous soon enough

I work at Lowe's....

If your order isn't ready in the alloted time, I think you are supposed to get a discout on the order or something like that.

Customer Care line is:
1-800-44lowes

I'd suggest giving them a call, then they get the store management to call you and kiss-ass....
Raising sand will get you far with them... like I said, they are Kiss-asses when that number gets called.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone View Post
I won't shop at Lowes anymore for similar reasons...I purchased a stove from them with free next day home delivery, but apparently I didn't see in the terms at there convience and I went with out a stove for 5 days...I'm now a Home Depot guy
Thats partly the salesperson's fault & your fault.
They have special order displays on the sales floor. There is a green sign that says "Available in X Days"... But they should have told you that at the time of purchase. Like I said before, call the customer care line!
thebayratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:31 PM   #16
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

I have had issues with both stores. I go with the best deal. It may be HD one day than Lowes the next.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:42 PM   #17
Superbad
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (53)
PL
Superbad has a spectacular aura aboutSuperbad has a spectacular aura aboutSuperbad has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre3239 View Post
I have had issues with both stores. I go with the best deal. It may be HD one day than Lowes the next.

They are across the street from each other, here.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:49 PM   #18
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

I Prefer Lowe's. Seems Like They Have Better Quality & I Have Never Had A Problem Returning An Item.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:00 PM   #19
chachee52
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Todd
Trading: (2)
chachee52 is on a distinguished road

So I ordered a special order door this past fall from Lowes. It was an inside door, and i planned on it taking a little over a month. When i got it, i was told that it would be in by a certain date. A couple days went by after that date and I called just to see what the status was, they told me that it wasn't supposed to be in until the two weeks later. Ok, not a huge deal. So that date came and went, I called on a Friday, was told it was in the warehouse. I said "great, I'll pick it up tomorrow" Was told that the warehouse was in CT (I'm on the NH/MA line) and the truck didn't go to the warehouse on weekends. So now I was a little upset. Asked to talk to a manager to see what I could do because I had someone coming that weekend to put it in. 4 days later the manager called and told me that the door was never in the warehouse, it was still at the manufacturer's!!! I asked why i was told that it was in the warehouse and he told me that he didn't know. I asked if there was a message to call me that weekend, there was not. Anyway, it was going to be another 3-4 weeks now and I did talk him into a discount for every week it was late.
It comes in, my father-in-law and I spent and entire day trying to get it in (we are both pretty handy around the house) and finally gave up. Got a friend who's a contractor to come over, he had the same problem. After much sratching of the head, we found out that the door, with glass window was warped and because of that couldn't close. By this time i had already chopped the bottom off because I was going to do that anyway because I don't have clearance in the ceiling so I couldn't return it.
Sent an e-mail to complain and let them know that I wasn't happy. Got a call and was told they are going to have a meeting with the store about the poor service and how to give me the best information next time and he was going to call the manufacturer.
So after 2+months of waiting, i have a warped door that I then had to sand the corners down so it would shut.

Now saying that, I also have bad things to say about HD as well!!!
So the moral of the story........ Shop at your local mom and pop lumbar/hardware store. They usually have everything that you need and the knowledge that you need about any project that you have as well.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:56 AM   #20
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
To me, if you're going to have a "it's ready in 20 minutes guarantee" and it's not ready when you come in 9 full hours later, we have a problem. I was already stressed out enough as I was just taking what I thought would be a short break from studying and I thought I'd be back in time for my son's bedtime routine, but he was already asleep when I got home.

Did I get a good deal? Yes...I'm happy with that. I'm just not happy that someone advertises something and completely fails to deliver it. Would I have been upset to show up 20 minutes after the confirmation and they had at least been in the process of getting it down? No. The upsetting part was that over the course of 9 hours, nobody even knew about the order and had to search all of the rows to even find it on the 4th row.

In the meantime, I did just get a response from the store from my submission to the store about my experience and he's offering me a $25 gift card for their mistake.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote