Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 08-10-2011, 11:04 AM   #81
Jbailey
Brewcifer

First Name: Dave
Trading: (17)
Jbailey has disabled reputation
Default Re: What Was Your First Box Purchased?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiceTheJava View Post
5 Vegas Gold Maduro churchills, which I then promptly destroyed by putting a humi-pillow in the box for several days, awaiting room in my humidor. Horrible burn problems later (as in, it wouldn't stay lit even under constant flame from a dual torch butane lighter) I realized just how wet they had become. After dry boxing for a week I can sort of smoke one, with 'only' 20 or so relights. Yep, I messed them up that badly!
I would bury those for at least a month in your humi Greg. Since they won't burn right your not going to be smoking them anyway. Say goodbye for a bit and let them rest in a stable environment.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:52 PM   #82
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
Well many people go out and buy samplers and singles of cigars before they buy boxes. My first real buy was Illusione 88 because I had a bought singles of them here and there and decided they were box worthy. I would be surprised if there were a majority who didnt buy premiums as their first box TBH.
The majority do not buy premiums as their first box. The majority buy White Owls, Dutch Masters, etc...

In fact, the overwhelming majority of cigar smokers buy such cigars by a significant margin. (OK, who has the numbers out there?)

My first box was a box of Arturo Fuente Rothschilds for which I paid around $20 for a box of 25 (back in 1981).

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:13 PM   #83
Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
The majority do not buy premiums as their first box. The majority buy White Owls, Dutch Masters, etc...

In fact, the overwhelming majority of cigar smokers buy such cigars by a significant margin. (OK, who has the numbers out there?)

My first box was a box of Arturo Fuente Rothschilds for which I paid around $20 for a box of 25 (back in 1981).

I don't know why but your little tag at the end of "Peace of the Lord be with you reminds" me of Cato the Elder and how he would end his speeches with "Carthago delenda est" (Carthage must be destroyed) regardless of the topic. Yours is much nicer though.

Anyways, I tried searching for the number of US machine made cigars sold in US annually to no avail.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:45 PM   #84
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallbright View Post
I don't know why but your little tag at the end of "Peace of the Lord be with you" reminds me of Cato the Elder and how he would end his speeches with "Carthago delenda est" (Carthage must be destroyed) regardless of the topic. Yours is much nicer though.

Anyways, I tried searching for the number of US machine made cigars sold in US annually to no avail.
I also believe that my tag is nicer that Cato's.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:26 PM   #85
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallbright View Post
I don't know why but your little tag at the end of "Peace of the Lord be with you reminds" me of Cato the Elder and how he would end his speeches with "Carthago delenda est" (Carthage must be destroyed) regardless of the topic. Yours is much nicer though.

Here is the link to one item. It doesn't mention how many premium hand-rolled cigars are sold, but in 2009, 12 billion of what I'd call "drugstore cigars" were sold by the big three. Here's a link, you can scroll down. http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_stat...cs/econ_facts/

Another link speaking about cigars gives a better idea when it talks about the billions of cigars and the millions of premium cigars. You can read here. http://business.highbeam.com/industr...ts/food/cigars

Here's a paragraph from another source that gives an idea about the premium -vs- machine rolled cigars from the 1990s. (I assume that percentages haven't changed all that much - although I may be wrong.)

By 1994, the scarcity of premium, brand name products caused a horde of start-up companies, some foreign. As many as 150 small manufacturers of inferior cigars sprang up to meet the new need to provide smokers with the perishable product they desired, inundating the American market with lower-quality cigars. These "Don Nobodies' sold for as much as the better quality, better known brands due to a supply and demand imbalance. The established premium companies, whose products accounted for 40 percent of sales in dollar terms (ten percent of product sold), faced further competition from another set of foreign companies, mostly Caribbean, that used the shortage to establish a bigger foothold in the United States for their handmade cigar brands.

Another note. In 2009, the two leading cigar companies in the United States had more than 60% of the market:
•Swisher International (i.e., nearly 50% of the U.S. market share with Swisher Sweets® and Swisher Little® brands)
•Middleton (i.e., about 13% of the U.S. market share with Black & Mild® brand)

Hopefully this helps.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:15 PM   #86
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

A box of 5 Vegas Miami.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:01 PM   #87
gnbikes
Feeling at Home

First Name: Garry
Trading: (3)
RyJ
gnbikes is on a distinguished road

CAO Gold Robusto's
gnbikes is offline   Reply With Quote