Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

View Poll Results: Are you an "oblivious smoker"?
No, I don't smoke in the streets. 49 55.68%
Yes, I smoke in the streets. 39 44.32%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-06-2014, 02:32 PM   #1
ColdCuts
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dave
Trading: (10)
HUpmann
ColdCuts will become famous soon enough
Default Are you an "oblivious smoker"?

I was just watching an hour-long documentary called The Havana: Cigar Of Connoisseurs (2005). It's a good documentary and it's free if you're an Amazon Prime member. In any case, on the program they interview a number of habanos dignitaries, one of which is Jose Luis Vilallonga. I had to Google him. He was a Spanish aristocrat and bit-part actor who co-starred with Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's. He passed in 2007. Anyway, he had this to say about cigars...

"I smoke two cigars a day. One after lunch, and one after dinner. Sometimes when I go out at night I smoke another one. Three altogether. But, I never never smoke when I'm out on the streets. I never smoke driving a car. I smoke, like many other Spanish do, during the bullfight, which is barbaric, because you don't savor the aroma or taste the cigar." He goes on to explain that he smokes at the bullfights simply because it's tradition.

The documentary immediately cuts to a scene in Cuba of a man puffing away while driving a car. The posh sounding narrator says, "Almost everybody smokes cigars here, whatever the time, whatever the place."

Toward the end of the documentary, Vilallonga continues, "The Americans are what I call oblivious smokers. Oblivious smokers, because they smoke in the streets. They smoke when driving a car. They don't have this european sense which is more civilized, really. Smoking a cigar is like taking a break in the day. I sit here and, three-quarters of an hour, an hour, I smoke a cigar."

This got me thinking. I want to know how it is for you. For me, if I didn't smoke on the streets, it would cut my cigar smoking in half. And, as it is, it's difficult for me to make time for a cigar. I don't smoke inside my home either. Perhaps that's part of it. I guess I admire this guy. If I could sit everyday for an hour after lunch and an hour after dinner and smoke in my opulent living room, I suppose I would. So, are you guys like me, or are you guys like Jose?
Old 06-06-2014, 02:36 PM   #2
RWhisenand
Feeling at Home

First Name: Rob
Trading: (7)
Punch AirForce (Served With Honor)
RWhisenand will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Are you, like me, an "oblivious smoker"?

I can't help but find it ironic that he smokes during a bullfight, but considers Americans less civilized then Europeans.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:39 PM   #3
CdnStogie
Fooore!

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (2)
RyJ
CdnStogie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Are you an "oblivious smoker"?

I tend to smoke anywhere but 'walking around on the street'... I smoke cigarettes though.

I find cigars are more for a relaxation time for me - I'll light one up on my porch, camping, fishing, golfing... if I have a long drive in front of me I sometimes will have one... But walking downtown - nope.

Has to be 'the right moment' for me to enjoy.
CdnStogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:08 PM   #4
jhedrick83
GO VOLS!

First Name: Jesse
Trading: (0)
jhedrick83 is on a distinguished road

I typically only have time to smoke at home. I prefer to smoke at home anyway as it is all about relaxation for me and forcing myself to slow down and enjoy life.
jhedrick83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:13 PM   #5
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

I tried the walk the dog and smoke a cigar while doing it a couple of times and just didn't enjoy it. I do like to just sit and smoke when I have the time to enjoy it. The only exception would be on the golf course as I can drive the cart and smoke at the same time.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:19 PM   #6
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhedrick83 View Post
I typically only have time to smoke at home. I prefer to smoke at home anyway as it is all about relaxation for me and forcing myself to slow down and enjoy life.
Yep. 99.9% of the time, my cigar time is "me" time. It's not just the cigar for me (well, SOMETIMES it is). More often than not, it's the de-stressing/relaxing/therapeutic effects that the hour-or-so of reflection time spent smoking that I get the most benefit. Smoking cigars - I think - IMPROVES my overall health.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:22 PM   #7
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWhisenand View Post
I can't help but find it ironic that he smokes during a bullfight, but considers Americans less civilized then Europeans.
I'm with you on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsolomon View Post
I tried the walk the dog and smoke a cigar while doing it a couple of times and just didn't enjoy it. I do like to just sit and smoke when I have the time to enjoy it. The only exception would be on the golf course as I can drive the cart and smoke at the same time.
Same here. If I smoke while walking the dog I find I can't focus as much on picking out nuances in the cigar. I can light a cigar, walk the dog, find the cigar boring without much flavor, get back home 15-20 minutes later, sit down on my porch, and suddenly that same cigar has depth of flavor.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:23 PM   #8
baust55
AUSTIN

First Name: JAMES
Trading: (1)
baust55 is on a distinguished road

I smoke in my enclosed court yard with a fire in the evening , on the porch/deck admiring the plants , flowers , my fig trees or in my Billiards room/ Cigar Lounge .

Occasionally at a Cigar lounge Like Jakes or the Havana Garage. It's all about relaxing!

AUSTIN
S.E.Nebraska !
baust55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:35 PM   #9
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

The majority of my smoking is done while sitting around relaxing....in my home, at a lounge, at a herf.....but if I am driving anywhere that takes longer than 30 minutes to get to, I am smoking in my truck. Takes the edge off driving for me if there is traffic, and makes it more relaxing/enjoyable in any circumstance.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:38 PM   #10
the MacDonald
Grey beard, funky wierd

First Name: Joe
Trading: (9)
Trinidad
the MacDonald will become famous soon enough

I used to be an oblivious smoker, but these days I'd agree with Vilallonga. A cigar is an event, not a time killer or an accessory.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:43 PM   #11
Sweet_Leaf_PDX
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jason
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Sweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enoughSweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enough

Most of my smoking time is done while sitting around and relaxing. When the weather is nice it's in my back yard and when the weather is bad I will go to one of my local cigar bars or B&M's that have a smoking lounge.

Sometimes I will smoke while playing golf or doing some sort of group outdoor activity. But that is usually if others are smoking so it's more of a social smoke. I find that when I smoke this way I don't get as much out of the cigar, so I try to pick a lower priced cigar that I am familiar with.
Sweet_Leaf_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:56 PM   #12
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Guilty as charged...

I enjoy a cigar anytime I have an opportunity; sitting on my deck, on the boat fishing, walking the dog, at the archery range, etc. But then again, I've been accused a few times of being a barbarian
Old 06-06-2014, 04:21 PM   #13
RUNYYFan
Life, Liberty, Happiness

First Name: Marc
Partagas
RUNYYFan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by the MacDonald View Post
I used to be an oblivious smoker, but these days I'd agree with Vilallonga. A cigar is an event, not a time killer or an accessory.
Agreed.

Back in the early to mid-1980's, I can recall attending Yankees games in the old stadium where the older gents would have no problem lighting up whatever they wanted. While most of the cigars were the "stogie" type, there was one guy who I remember would always wait until the second out in the bottom of the 9th to start his cigar. And he would sit there in the 300-level as the rest of the fans left just smoking the cigar as if that would be his last night and he was going to enjoy it forever.

To this day, I cannot tell you what the name of the cigar was. But I remember it being a wonderfully rich aroma that was, at least to a kid in his early teens, just great.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:42 PM   #14
8zeros
What's this button do?

First Name: Roger
8zeros will become famous soon enough

I was once on a business trip that had me in San Fransisco. I proudly walked around smoking the biggest cigar I had. I was not oblivious at all.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:42 PM   #15
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

First Name: Garry
Trading: (39)
CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

I smoke to enjoy and relax. In a car, I only do it on my longer trips and when I am alone.

So, to answer the question; No, I am not an oblivious smoker.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:00 PM   #16
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

First Name: Neil
Trading: (26)
Partagas
nutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nice

A stroll in a park with a cigar is a rare pleasure.
Probably soon to be banned.
nutcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:04 PM   #17
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

First Name: Neil
Trading: (26)
Partagas
nutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nice

I spoke with the lady in Barcelona who used to sell the meat from the bullfights. Apparently it was tough and quite revolting. Forutnately bullfighting is now banned in Catalonia.

Smoking a cigar is hardly barbaric compared to torturing a creature for entertainment.
Now that's barbaric.
nutcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:06 PM   #18
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Me, I Aqualung. So, no.

Or yes, depending on how one defines it.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:04 PM   #19
RobR1205
Starting a new chapter

First Name: Rob
Trading: (19)
HUpmann Army (Disabled Vet)
RobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura about

I accidentally picked the wrong answer in the poll, but I prefer to sit and smoke. I walk fast and take long strides, so I've found that I smoke much faster based on past experiences. Plus I find it harder to monitor the burn when I'm smoking.
RobR1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:41 PM   #20
timj219
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Trading: (15)
Partagas
timj219 will become famous soon enoughtimj219 will become famous soon enough

I usually smoke on my deck and try not to do anything else though I will sometimes read a book. But I only smoke on weekends or when on vacation. So maybe two or three per week. I used to smoke a cigar while doing yard work but now I smoke a pipe if anything.