Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 11-14-2019, 04:30 PM   #1
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

First Name: Michael
Trading: (5)
RA
gomeitsmybday will become famous soon enoughgomeitsmybday will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Headley Grange Estupendos

Crowned Heads Headley Grange Toro - picked up some of these last spring and posted that I wasn't impressed initially, after 2-3 months rest. Then, a fellow inmate (sorry, I forget whom) suggested that they really improved with some extended rest and so I decided to set a couple aside. Suffice to say, the aforementioned inmate was absolutely right, it's become a completely different cigar!

Pretty solid medium body and a respectable amount of pepper out the gate...complex, and while I'm not the greatest at discerning specific notes, I get some honeyed tea, toasted oats and a really nice mustiness. Actually, the mustiness kind of reminds me of the profile of the DPG Cuban Classic. I personally would prefer the DPG to the Headley any day of the week, but the Headley is still very nice itself!

1/2 in, it's becoming increasingly creamier with a core note of toasted tobacco. Pepper lingered after each puff the first 1/2, but now pretty much gone. Oh and the construction as been really damned good, burn line has been uneven here and there but never enough for any touch ups, which is always appreciated. Smoke output has also increased immensely, but I can't say that the body has stretched much farther than medium at any given point...

On a side note, I have to say that while I have not tried many offerings by Crowned Heads, I have definitely liked each one I've had. The Le Careme is a great, really unique cigar but I'd say my favorite Crowned Heads to date is definitely the La Imperiosa - that right there is a delicious smoke.

Anyhow, less than an inch to the label, the Headley is finally starting to smoke a little bit bitter and ammonia-y. Manage to get a few last puffs with some purging, but my tastebuds are telling me to put this lil' feller to bed.

All in all, this was a very nice smoke, and absolutely a completely different cigar than it was even 6-8 months ago! While it's not going to be on any of my immediate to-buy lists, I would definitely pick up more if they were on a really good sale. It was complex, easy & fun to smoke, and in general, a great example of why I got in to cigars in the first place.
gomeitsmybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 06:46 AM   #2
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Headley Grange Estupendos

Good review. These definitely get better after a nap.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:30 PM   #3
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the review. I remember trying one and liking it quite a bit. I don't know why I never got any more. Maybe I shall snag a few.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:45 PM   #4
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

First Name: Michael
Trading: (5)
RA
gomeitsmybday will become famous soon enoughgomeitsmybday will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the feedback guys! Hope it helps others if they are on the fence about buying the Headley...
gomeitsmybday is offline   Reply With Quote