Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 02-15-2018, 07:03 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Famous Nicaragua 3000 Gordo

For years I’ve seen raving testaments about the Famous Nicaragua 3000 series on my favorite cigar forum www.cigarasylum.com but since Famous doesn’t ship outside the USA and I buy in local stores when I’m in America I never paid much attention to it. Now I read people guessing where the cigars were made, theories about what factory including the theory that Oliva made a Series X, sold them for a few weeks before Carlito Fuente talked to Jose Oliva about the X, since Fuente is famous for the Opus X and Oliva agreed to take them off the market and sold them as private label to Famous, creating the Famous Nicaraguan 3000 blend but thats a story I have never been able to confirm.

Well, in 2015 I was at Tavicua, which is the factory owned by Rocky Patel in Esteli, Nicaragua and I thought I solved the mystery when I saw Famous Nicaraguan cigars being made. But just now, while looking up some information on the cigar, I found out that there are several series of the Famous Nicaraguan line and the 6000 series is made at Tavicusa, so the mystery of the series 3000 continues.

The box pressed 6×56 cigar looks intimidating due to the sheer size and shape, but that might be me, since I don’t like big ring cigars. The cellophane started to discolor a little bit and I guess I have had this cigar in my humidor for about 5 years after a friend gave it to me at a cigar meeting in Ocala, Florida. The medium dark brown wrapper is very leathery, it looks like leather, it feels like leather and the cigar has a strong aroma of forrest smells and soap. The construction feels good although the cap is applied a little hasty as it seems. The ring is simple, two tone green with the Famous logo in golden, Nicaragua Selection in golden too and golden 3000 on the side. The print quality is good.

I cut the cigar with a guillotine cutter. The cold draw is fine. I taste spicy sultanas and black pepper. After lighting I taste coffee with extra sugar. After an inch I taste spicy greens like rucola with extra added black pepper. After a third I taste minty leather with lemony spice. Halfway the cigar is spicy with wood and pepper. The final third starts with mint, wood and nuts.

The draw is a little loose yet it doesn’t influence the amount or thickness of the smoke which is great. The dark ash isn’t very firm. The burn is straight. This is a medium bodied medium flavored cigar and the ring gauge makes it a not dynamic cigar. The smoke time is two hours.

Would I buy this cigar again? Not in this vitola, a Robusto or thinner I would try.

https://cigarguideorg.wordpress.com/...ua-3000-gordo/