Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 07-14-2011, 07:53 AM   #101
merry12

Default Re: Cigar Smoking Technique

Again, let nature take it's course. Once a cigar has run its course, it should naturally extinguish itself. It's poor cigar etiquette to "butt out" a cigar as it will create an unpleasant odor for everyone around you.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:54 PM   #102
Duke9192

Thanks for the post. Great info.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:10 PM   #103
Angry_Pirate
Traveler

First Name: J.T.
Trading: (40)
Cohiba
Angry_Pirate is on a distinguished road

Good to know I'm not doing too much wrong
Angry_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:25 AM   #104
scotch&stogies

I've been smoking cigars on and off for about 5 years and never did the nose exhale. When I read the OP it made a lot of sense that exhaling through my nose would be an important part of experiencing a cigar to the fullest.

With that in mind, I smoked an awesome Cohiba last evening and tried to exhale some of the smoke through my nose. I was definitely struggling with this and only had limited success. That being said, when it did work, I did notice the flavors of the cigar came to life on my palate.

I guess I need to keep working on my technique and hope I figure it out sooner rather than later. Any suggestions?
Old 08-11-2011, 11:29 PM   #105
Moose6026
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dan
Trading: (1)
Moose6026 will become famous soon enough

Fairly new to cigars...soooo much to learn
Old 08-12-2011, 12:12 AM   #106
Aporschaguy
Two sheets to the wind!

First Name: Adam
Trading: (0)
Cohiba
Aporschaguy is on a distinguished road

Great post... I agree a sticky for sure...
Old 08-12-2011, 12:25 AM   #107
dannyboy
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Daniel
Trading: (31)
Trinidad
dannyboy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotch&stogies View Post
I've been smoking cigars on and off for about 5 years and never did the nose exhale. When I read the OP it made a lot of sense that exhaling through my nose would be an important part of experiencing a cigar to the fullest.

With that in mind, I smoked an awesome Cohiba last evening and tried to exhale some of the smoke through my nose. I was definitely struggling with this and only had limited success. That being said, when it did work, I did notice the flavors of the cigar came to life on my palate.

I guess I need to keep working on my technique and hope I figure it out sooner rather than later. Any suggestions?
Continue the attempt. I was nowhere near perfect at this technique when I first tried it and had to concentrate very hard to get a bit of smoke out the nose. Practice make perfect, or at least good enough. After about a month of conscious effort to nose exhale it became habit and I now I find it impossible to mouth smoke only.
dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:51 AM   #108
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Nice post and I need a better cutter, I picked up a cheapy for $1.49 and I hate it, cuts at an angle. I was taught to cut then light, but after seeing the cigar aficionado's youtube on the 3 match light I really want to try this......seems it will make my smoke more enjoyable.

Other than that I'm pretty much following by the rules heh. Thanks again, lots to learn, and right now I'm a sponge.
irratebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:52 AM   #109
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

First Name: Týr
Trading: (8)
VR
LasciviousXXX has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by irratebass View Post
I need a better cutter, I

Buy a Palio. You'll never need another

Its pretty much all I ever use.
LasciviousXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:00 AM   #110
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by irratebass View Post
Nice post and I need a better cutter, I picked up a cheapy for $1.49 and I hate it, cuts at an angle. I was taught to cut then light, but after seeing the cigar aficionado's youtube on the 3 match light I really want to try this......seems it will make my smoke more enjoyable.

Other than that I'm pretty much following by the rules heh. Thanks again, lots to learn, and right now I'm a sponge.
I believe there was an entire thread about that 3 match thing. If I'm not mistaken the verdict was if you use good butane, there is/was no noticeable difference. Especially to make it worth spending several minutes to light a cigar.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:29 AM   #111
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Ty'r will have to do some looking.

Bill I'm sure there was, I tried this technique with my new butane last night and it way too long and I ended up burning my finger a bit, I still want to try the 3 match trick.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:03 PM   #112
lukemoney

i use a zippo usually to light my cigars.. i have a butane but have not found easy way to fill the lighter to use.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:09 PM   #113
Lonely Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukemoney View Post
i use a zippo usually to light my cigars.. i have a butane but have not found easy way to fill the lighter to use.
Ugh, Zippo fuel tastes terrible. I wouldn't like a nice cigar with that.

This is a great thread.

I tried the 3 match thing using cedar spills. It took a while, and I swear the cigar had more woody taste to it, and seemed to not be as harsh as the one I had before it. It could (probably) just be that I was taking my time.

I guess I'm not doing too many bad things, seeing as how I've only been smoking cigars for about a month now. I figured the exhale through the nose thing on my own, seeing as how taste has to do with the nose...it still took me a while to figure out *how* to do it without swallowing smoke or inhaling. The first few times I wound up with an upset stomach and belching ashtray flavor...Ugh that was bad.

As for cutting, I'm finding I prefer the punch for everything with a smooth cap. The pigtails and the like I'm using a cheap $2.50 cutter. If I still with cigars, I'll probably pick up a nice boutique cutter. I'd also like to try one of those shurikin (sp?) cutters, but I'm not a cigar biter, so I don't think it will work with me.

Again, great thread!
Old 04-04-2012, 10:52 PM   #114
Eros
Just in from the Storm

Eros is on a distinguished road

So I tried to do the nose exhale or retrohale (are they the same thing?) technique. I didn't notice too much of a difference. I had a Liga Privada Undercrown, a Padron Prinicpe, and an Ashton 898 and some others while on my spring break. These cigars are very different from each other I'm sure. But the only differences I noticed were burn characteristics and smoke output. Some VERY slight flavor pickups but that's it. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, and I am considering dropping the habit. If they all "taste" the same to me, then what's the point? I heard that I may be "clenching shut". But I don't exactly know what that means. Any pointers?
Old 04-04-2012, 11:05 PM   #115
Pseudosacred
What will your verse be?

First Name: Nick
Trading: (1)
Pseudosacred is on a distinguished road

Do what I did. Put one cigar in one hand and one in the other. Smoke them both at the same time. No matter what sticks they are, you WILL notice the difference in the two.

While it may not be recommended by anyone else here, it definitely worked for me. I now know what to look for when comparing one cigar to another.
Pseudosacred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:29 AM   #116
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eros View Post
So I tried to do the nose exhale or retrohale (are they the same thing?) technique. I didn't notice too much of a difference. I had a Liga Privada Undercrown, a Padron Prinicpe, and an Ashton 898 and some others while on my spring break. These cigars are very different from each other I'm sure. But the only differences I noticed were burn characteristics and smoke output. Some VERY slight flavor pickups but that's it. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, and I am considering dropping the habit. If they all "taste" the same to me, then what's the point? I heard that I may be "clenching shut". But I don't exactly know what that means. Any pointers?
It is possible that your cigars are dry or you are smoking too fast. Slow it down a bit, swish the smoke in your mouth, then retrohale.
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:50 AM   #117
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eros View Post
If you can't notice the difference, smoke the cheaper ones.
Your palate will improve some over time.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:56 PM   #118
SmokeyMtns

This is a great thread! As others have already stated, I am going to have to try the nose exhale. Would not have connected the two, thank you!
Old 08-20-2012, 11:21 PM   #119
ThePict
Is it time for SoCal yet?

Partagas
ThePict is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotch&stogies View Post

Tuck your chin up against your chest. It helps to open your sinuses and makes it easier to learn the habit.
Now, a word of caution! Take it easy at first. The smoke will feel strange running through your nasal cavities and, depending on the strength, can sting a bit. Remember this is for part of your exhale, not the entire puff. Take it easy and learn to enjoy the experience, or be like me ans overdo it at a herf the first time and spend a few minutes in the bathroom deciding if you want to revisit your last meal. A lovely fact that your very best friends will continue to remind you of for years and years to come. LOL
ThePict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #120
dozer
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Justin
Trading: (4)
Cohiba
dozer is on a distinguished road

Wait...there is a technique to this??
dozer is offline   Reply With Quote