Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 12-26-2018, 03:56 PM   #1
asantiago
Cigar O'clock yet?

Trading: (0)
asantiago is on a distinguished road
Default Brands that you stay away from.

So we all like to talk about brands or particular cigars with in a brand that we enjoy but I never really see any posts regarding brands we don't like, enjoy etc. For me I stay away from anything Romeo Y Julieta cigars, used to enjoy the Reserves Churchills but not anymore. I did try the new Nicaragua and enjoyed it but not enough to revisit the brand. Another brand is Rocky Patel, I smoked countless Decades when they originally came out but then something happened to the blend and its just not the same cigar. I did try the new Sun Grown and enjoyed it very much and will definitely smoke them again.
asantiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 04:31 PM   #2
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Brands that you stay away from.

Gurkha. I've probably smoked 10 different varieties, mainly due to them being included in samplers and I bought a lot of samplers when I was getting into cigars. A couple of them were very, very good. Others...ummm, not so much. But probably three out every four had some kind of construction issue. So much so that I won't even think of buying any of the two I liked.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:56 PM   #3
asantiago
Cigar O'clock yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
Gurkha. I've probably smoked 10 different varieties, mainly due to them being included in samplers and I bought a lot of samplers when I was getting into cigars. A couple of them were very, very good. Others...ummm, not so much. But probably three out every four had some kind of construction issue. So much so that I won't even think of buying any of the two I liked.
Agreed! The Centurian might be the only one I enjoy once in a while.
Old 12-26-2018, 06:55 PM   #4
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Perdomo. Just never got into that line, or anything they roll. I used to love the CAO Maduro until Perdomo took it over.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:56 PM   #5
Tio Gato
Uncle Kitty

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Tio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really nice

Agree with those mentioned. For me any Acid or Lars Tetens. Certainly any house brands from Thompson.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:21 PM   #6
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Rocky Patel & Punch for me. Only thing I've ever liked was the Rocky Patel Original Sumatra (for which they've long since changed the blend) and the Punch Royal Coronation Maduro Tubos. Everything else I've smoked from these lines did not turn me on in the least. I've tried tons of their sticks, just not for me.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:04 PM   #7
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about

CAO (2 bad boxes back to back)
Rocky Patel (3 boxes in a row with poor construction)
Oliva (used to be a fan but their quality has taken a nosedive recently)
Gurkha (tried a few fivers, all with construction/blending issues)
Victor Sinclair (whoever blends their cigars has the palate of a goat)
Anything Eiroa (90% of their cigars have a draw looser than an 80 yr old hooker)
Old 12-26-2018, 11:46 PM   #8
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Gurkha
Cremosa
Tamboril
Baccarat
Don Mateo
anything infused

There's another brand I smoked several of in the early 2000s, every one tasted like dirt (not earthy...dirt), but they were very popular at the time. Not sure if they're still around, but I can't remember the name for the life of me right now.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 07:14 AM   #9
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Gurkha
Perdomo
Graycliff
NC Cohiba
Old 12-27-2018, 08:10 AM   #10
asantiago
Cigar O'clock yet?

Perdomo has been hit or miss for me. I loved their ESV's and the Edicion de Sylvio a few years back. The 20th anniversary is a good stick.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:56 AM   #11
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

First Name: Michael
Trading: (5)
RA
gomeitsmybday will become famous soon enoughgomeitsmybday will become famous soon enough

Perdomo and Gurkha are the primary brands...
I don’t know what it is with Perdomo, on paper, I should really like their stuff, but when it comes down to actually smoking one? From memory, i haven’t had one that I’ve liked yet.
gomeitsmybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:41 PM   #12
Fig_Nasty
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Nelson
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
Fig_Nasty is on a distinguished road

For me anything infused gives me the spins and pretty much destroys my palate. I’ve given them a shot, but it’s a hard pass for me at this point haha.

It’s a shame most of you got turned off by Perdomo because they’re local to me and have SOME solid sticks. I guess it’s hit or miss with them these days. If you feel a change of heart PM me and I’ll send some over. Just let me know what might tickle your fancy.

Cheers
Old 12-27-2018, 06:55 PM   #13
mjcujo
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Mathew
mjcujo is on a distinguished road

Oliva, of late, has been very disappointing. Construction and consistency are severely lacking. And I've yet to try a Graycliff that was worth smoking.
mjcujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 07:44 PM   #14
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

RA
gomeitsmybday will become famous soon enoughgomeitsmybday will become famous soon enough

I’m curious to those that avoid Graycliff, have you tried the 30 year vintage? I’ll admit that is the only Graycliff I’ve tried to date, but I love it. For a breakfast/early morning smoke, I think it’s wonderful with coffee...I’ve maybe noticed the occasional construction issue but nothing to make me avoid the entire brand, yet! (I emphasis yet!)
And Nelson, what are some of your favorite Perdomos? I’d be willing to add a 5 pack or two on one of my next larger online orders....
Old 12-27-2018, 08:59 PM   #15
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

I always keep some Perdomo Lot 23 Maduro Robustos on hand; I really enjoy them. But the others I've tried from them have been "meh".
Old 12-27-2018, 09:45 PM   #16
The camaro show
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Chayse
Trading: (1)
VR
The camaro show will become famous soon enough

Man you guys really make me think twice about what’s a good brand and a bad brand, I’ve had 2 Olivia’s and loved both and have had probably 10 caos and I’d say 8.5 of 10 were good one had a pretty crazy burn and the other was just terrible.
The camaro show is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:34 PM   #17
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

RA

Chayse don’t let anyone’s opinion make you think twice about any cigar you like, if you enjoy it, smoke it. Especially if it’s on sale, hehe.
And ftr I like quite a few from both Oliva & CAO. Just not the flavors.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:18 AM   #18
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

Quote:
Originally Posted by The camaro show View Post
Man you guys really make me think twice about what’s a good brand and a bad brand, I’ve had 2 Olivia’s and loved both and have had probably 10 caos and I’d say 8.5 of 10 were good one had a pretty crazy burn and the other was just terrible.
Smoke what you like and like what you smoke and don't let someone else's opinion turn you off of a cigar you enjoy.

Oliva V is one of my favorite smokes and I always have some on hand. The O and G line are pretty good as well. I really enjoy the Brasilia and Flathead lines from CAO but haven't had many others I've enjoyed.
Old 12-28-2018, 05:10 AM   #19
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Trading: (48)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
Smoke what you like and like what you smoke and don't let someone else's opinion turn you off of a cigar you enjoy.
Very wise words there. I would only add that try new cigars at your leisure and I usually try to avoid the reviews till after I have smoked it so I can form my own opinion.