Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 12:18 AM   #5121
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all
Default Re: First Firearm Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
Look what I got....

Untitled by emopunker2004, on Flickr
Yes Francis, Pins
Old 02-13-2013, 12:34 AM   #5122
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
yes francis, pins
derp
Old 02-13-2013, 12:48 AM   #5123
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Yep pretty much
What up?
Old 02-13-2013, 01:33 AM   #5124
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

not much, winding down the evening. Lowers arrive tomorrow... can't wait
Old 02-13-2013, 01:43 AM   #5125
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Can't wait til Saturday to go shoot the shotgun!
Old 02-13-2013, 01:53 AM   #5126
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

don't think I have any shooting in my near future.. heck, don't even think I'll be building that lower anytime soon.... but we'll see.

Moving in a month, starting to get super busy with packing and prep...
Just about done with gunbroker, only a couple more things to sell off while the market is still simmering.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:01 AM   #5127
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

ever get that ammo deal worked out?

I think I should pick up a sling mount for my shotgun.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:43 AM   #5128
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
ever get that ammo deal worked out?
I think I should pick up a sling mount for my shotgun.
nope, he's ducking my emails...

I like slings
Old 02-13-2013, 05:28 AM   #5129
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

I have a magpul ms3 on my ar
Old 02-13-2013, 07:45 AM   #5130
Bondo 287
Runaway Train

First Name: Mikael
Trading: (0)
Cohiba
Bondo 287 will become famous soon enough

FedEx:
Apparently utilizing Kentucky to get a 4 oz part from a warehouse in Ohio to a destination in Pennsylvania.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:52 AM   #5131
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo 287 View Post
FedEx:
Apparently utilizing Kentucky to get a 4 oz part from a warehouse in Ohio to a destination in Pennsylvania.
Doesn't matter if going down the street.
Everything goes to central facility.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:22 AM   #5132
Bondo 287
Runaway Train

First Name: Mikael
Trading: (0)
Cohiba
Bondo 287 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Doesn't matter if going down the street.
Everything goes to central facility.
I actually thought maybe it was going to hop a plane, then arrive in Pitt

Yeah, that makes sense though. It comes tomorrow anyway.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #5133
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brian
Trading: (1)
Brian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Yes Francis, Pins
Emopunker, I shot at bowling pins for several years. Not everything will penetrate that plastic hide, use caution. For that which does not get thru the skin, has an annoying tendency to bounce back at the firing line, if not the shooter himself.

Would take too much time to list off what's safe versus not, but I can lay out a few basic parameters:

With pistols, .38 special/9mm makarov and smaller are non-nos for the most part. 9mm parabellum has plenty of velocity, at least from a service length barrel.

Don't go smaller than #4 shot with the 12 or 20 gauge shotguns, buckshot and of course slugs are fine. (Believe it or not slugs will not completely penetrate the pins, but boy do the pins look like jet fighters leaving a carrier deck when hit by them!)

.22 L.R. is okay out of either handgun or rifle, but not .22 shorts or the Aguila primer-power-only fodder.

I've never seen a centerfire rifle round fail to bite into the wood core, but can't say that applies to every caliber you might try. The high velocity stuff goes right through as you might expect, but the bullets probably change direction a little bit afterwards. Use a wide/tall enough backstop.

And in all cases, wear eye protection! One time at a match I was the only one shooting and hit a pin dead solid with a .45acp reload. It spun the pin around and sent a .357 bullet that was already in the pin straight back at my shin! Left a welt that didn't go away for a couple weeks. Wouldn't have been a "Throw some dirt on it and man up!" moment if that bullet had headed for my face, and probably would have done some real damage to an unprotected eye. Fortunately I never shoot without appropriate glasses.

Hope this doesn't come off as me being a safety ninny, just trying to share several years of being around pin shoots.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #5134
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

If anyone sees a good deal on a complete Magpul CTR kit for my new lower, that is such a great deal that I should further risk life and limb, not to mention being shot with my own weapons, by my "can no longer be tolerant of all my recent purchases" wife, please be sure to let me know.
Life without some degree of risk is just not fun.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:06 PM   #5135
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

Quote:
If anyone sees a good deal on a complete Magpul CTR kit for my new lower, that is such a great deal that I should further risk life and limb, not to mention being shot with my own weapons, by my "can no longer be tolerant of all my recent purchases" wife, please be sure to let me know.
Life without some degree of risk is just not fun.
Gun Show this weekend, pay cash, throw receipts out the window. Only hard part is sneaking the parts in the house without getting caught.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #5136
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphysLaw View Post
Gun Show this weekend, pay cash, throw receipts out the window. Only hard part is sneaking the parts in the house without getting caught.
stick em at the bottom of your range bag and bring them in with all the other meaningless gun parts
Old 02-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #5137
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian D. View Post
Emopunker, I shot at bowling pins for several years. Not everything will penetrate that plastic hide, use caution. For that which does not get thru the skin, has an annoying tendency to bounce back at the firing line, if not the shooter himself.

Would take too much time to list off what's safe versus not, but I can lay out a few basic parameters:

With pistols, .38 special/9mm makarov and smaller are non-nos for the most part. 9mm parabellum has plenty of velocity, at least from a service length barrel.

Don't go smaller than #4 shot with the 12 or 20 gauge shotguns, buckshot and of course slugs are fine. (Believe it or not slugs will not completely penetrate the pins, but boy do the pins look like jet fighters leaving a carrier deck when hit by them!)

.22 L.R. is okay out of either handgun or rifle, but not .22 shorts or the Aguila primer-power-only fodder.

I've never seen a centerfire rifle round fail to bite into the wood core, but can't say that applies to every caliber you might try. The high velocity stuff goes right through as you might expect, but the bullets probably change direction a little bit afterwards. Use a wide/tall enough backstop.

And in all cases, wear eye protection! One time at a match I was the only one shooting and hit a pin dead solid with a .45acp reload. It spun the pin around and sent a .357 bullet that was already in the pin straight back at my shin! Left a welt that didn't go away for a couple weeks. Wouldn't have been a "Throw some dirt on it and man up!" moment if that bullet had headed for my face, and probably would have done some real damage to an unprotected eye. Fortunately I never shoot without appropriate glasses.

Hope this doesn't come off as me being a safety ninny, just trying to share several years of being around pin shoots.
From someone who has never shot pins before, thanks for the very useful info regarding their safe safe handling, it never hurts to be armed with more info!
Old 02-13-2013, 12:32 PM   #5138
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphysLaw View Post
On my calendar and was thinking of going.
How much should a complete mil kit go for?
Old 02-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #5139
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

Quote:
On my calendar and was thinking of going.
How much should a complete mil kit go for?
Francis and Justin would probably know better at this point, I built my RRA so long ago that I don't even remember what I paid for parts.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #5140
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Palmetto was selling magpul CTR LPKs for $200 a few weeks ago.