Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 07-10-2014, 11:20 PM   #1
jpb437

Default Is there a fix for a tcrack in the wrapper?

Sorry if this is a newb questions but... I was just looking looking at some cigars I have and one has a 3/4" (19mm) crack near the foot and a 3/8" (9.5mm) crack near the band. Is there any way to repair a crack in the wrapper or should I just try to cover lower crack with my finger and attempt to smoke it anyway? They need some time to rest but I would like to get a handle on this as quickly as I can. Any suggestions?
Old 07-10-2014, 11:41 PM   #2
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation
Default Re: Is there a fix for a tcrack in the wrapper?

Go to the grocery store and buy unflavored pectin. Should be in the canning section or maybe with the gelatin. Go to the cosmetics area and buy a selection of very small brushes, if they have one; otherwise get something that looks about the right size to paint the crack in the cigar. It won't be big.

Go home and put about a teaspoon of distilled water in to a clean plate (I use a small saucer). Slowing sprinkle a little pectin in to the water and mix it well with the brush. When if gets a glue-like consistency, but not thick, you are ready.

The next part is all about touch and is hard to explain in writing. You need to use the pectin mixture as a glue for the wrapper. If you use too much or the mixture is too runny, well, kiss that cigar goodbye, but it was a learning experience. Too dry and you just have to add a drop or two of water to the mixture to thin it out.

You may just need to paint over the crack or daub under the wrapper a bit to make it stick first. A very light coat and wait for it to mostly dry. If it still looks fragile, you can put on more. Repeat until it looks like it will hold, but don't overdo it. You can repair while smoking if necessary.

Some people here make and market the cigar glue. I have used some of theirs and it works well, but I don't recall their usernames. You may also be able to find it at a cigar shop, but I have never bought from a shop so can't speak to how well it works.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:31 AM   #3
jpb437

Fantastic!! I have pectin and distilled water in the pantry already. I was worried I would have to toss a fantastic sounding cigar. I will give it a couple days to rest then I will get to fixing it. Hopefully I don't screw it up.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:58 AM   #4
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

First Name: Neil
Trading: (26)
Partagas
nutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nice

Artists gum Arabic (Windsor and Newton) from your local art supplies with a small brush.
nutcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:44 AM   #5
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I found the best way to deal with cracked and banged up cigars is to save them up in a bag and give them to sofaman. He's got the patience to fix them up and smoke them.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:57 AM   #6
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

First Name: Neil
Trading: (26)
Partagas
nutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nice

I've also seen blokes cut cigars into bite sized chunks and smoke them in a pipe! Cheapskate and very effective. Better than throwing them out!
nutcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:42 AM   #7
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpb437 View Post
Fantastic!! I have pectin and distilled water in the pantry already. I was worried I would have to toss a fantastic sounding cigar. I will give it a couple days to rest then I will get to fixing it. Hopefully I don't screw it up.
Unless it's a Gurkha, just toss that b!tch
Old 07-20-2014, 10:45 AM   #8
Xolotal Mungin
bon vivant

First Name: Xolotal
Trading: (0)
Xolotal Mungin is on a distinguished road

The acacia (gum Arabic) is definitely the way to go. It's what is actually used on cigars. You can even use a finger. I keep a little glass bottle mixed up on the shelf. Put a little on, let it dry and smoke away!
Old 07-24-2014, 08:08 PM   #9
azar
It is what it is!

First Name: Mack
Trading: (18)
azar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
Doesn't even have to have a crack in it for that to work!
Old 07-24-2014, 09:12 PM   #10
jpb437

I haven't got the courage to try this yet but I think this weekend I am going to sit down with one cigar and work on the other. I'll take some pictures and show how it works out.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:26 AM   #11
Dude Here
I'm the Dude...Man!

First Name: Steve
Trading: (3)
Army (Served With Honor)
Dude Here will become famous soon enough

How deep is the crack? Is it the wrapper and binder that are split or just the wrapper? If it's just the wrapper then you shouldn't have much to worry about since the binder will still hold everything together. I've smoked plenty of cigars with cracks in the wrappers and performance wasn't effected at all.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:39 AM   #12
RobR1205
Starting a new chapter

First Name: Rob
Trading: (19)
HUpmann Army (Disabled Vet)
RobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura about

Something ive done (several times with success) for cracks in my cigars is to carefully slide the cigar band down to the foot of the cigar over the crack. As you smoke the cigar and the heat causes it expand, the band acts like a tourniquet and prevents the crack from getting larger, and ruining the rest of the cigar. When the ash gets close to the band, slide the band up little by little until you've smoked past the damaged part of your stick.
RobR1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:26 AM   #13
mjdx88
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
mjdx88 is on a distinguished road

I have used the band for repairs in the past, usually because I messed the cut up and the wrapper comes apart. But this works great for other cracks, just as Rob has suggested.
mjdx88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:27 AM   #14
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
I thought we were supposed to send all Gurkhas to Mike...They said Mikey would smoke anything
Old 07-25-2014, 01:54 PM   #15
jpb437

It is just the wrapper that is cracked. It shouldn't be hard to fix. I just don't want to mess up a good cigar.