Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-12-2008, 02:58 PM   #21
houdini
Life is Beautiful........

Trading: (21)
Trinidad
houdini is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Why the big three bailout is a BAD idea

I own a business....Can I get a bailout if I mismanage and drive it to the ground?

NO BAILOUT - NO WAY.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:06 PM   #22
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperman View Post
Does anyone think that the union has any affect on this, I mean who pays a person 38 buck an hour to tighten four bolts.
Isn't that a days work for government plumbers? US Autoworker jobs fall far less into that category now than 25 years ago. The issue isn't that they don't work hard. Visit a plant sometime. The issue is that alternatives (Honda, Toyota, etc) offer more bang for the buck/quality etc. because they can produce better vehicles at a lower cost. A recipe for extinction unless something changes. What has to change is the retirement costs, wage costs, benefits and work rules. The last contract guaranteed continuing to pay workers when their plant closed fer Christ sake. All the things the unions have fought for and won for 40 years. They won!!! Unfortunately there has to be a viable business entity to pay them. It all flushes unless they (management, Labor and Retirees) agree to something sustainable.... a significant percentage less than now. Otherwise, any money given only for stalls the inevitable and they all eventually lose.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:26 PM   #23
Ace$nyper

Quote:
Originally Posted by houdini View Post
I own a business....Can I get a bailout if I mismanage and drive it to the ground?

NO BAILOUT - NO WAY.
Same but it's tempting to try.

Dear Unkie Sam, so I've been boozed up in Costa rica for past 7 months, um can I get a few mil

it was a marketing error and i swear if it wasn't for the failing econ it would have worked.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:32 PM   #24
maddman

A bail out as it sits is one big money pit if they dont restructure then to heck with them if the UAW is unwilling well get rid of them.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:12 PM   #25
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

What is important to keep in mind, IMO, is that this a problem with further reaching impact than just the assebley line employees of Ford or GM. The tire manufactures, seat belts, air filters, nuts and bolts, salesmen, rental fleet companies...the list goes on and on. All of those companies and their employees would be effected by even one of the major automobile manufactures going under.

I want to be clear that I am not in favor of a "blank check" for the big three. There has to be some kind of restructuring.

I read that the average per/hour pay for a Ford employee is something like $70. And the average per/hour pay for a Toyota employee is something like $35. And I would be so bold as to say that many people would say that Toyota makes a superior vehicle. It seems pretty short sighted that people are not willing to give up a slice of the bread to be able to keep the rest of the loaf.

What it comes down to, to drastically over simplify things, is whether "we" (the royal we) bail out the auto industry now by restructuring the companies and turning them into something that is financially viable and continues to employ thousands of American workers or let the companies go under and put those thousands of workers out of work. And I would have to imagine that a large majority of those workers would need support from the government, in the form of unemployment or welfare or whatever.

The end result is going to be the same, money out of the goverment till. But one path to that is constructive. One is not.

All the "they F**Ked up" talk is totally accurate. Bad decisions were made that impacted the company. But that is done and no amount of finger pointing is going to solve the problem. The only thing to do is look forward and figure out a fix.

My , not that anyone asked.
AD720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 05:30 PM   #26
stitch
Saddle Maker And Cowboy

Trading: (34)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
stitch is just really nicestitch is just really nicestitch is just really nicestitch is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drazzil View Post
When things finally get bad enough to where people finally realize that they and their families are on the street, homeless, jobless, peniless, sick and in debt they will ask "How did I get here?" Americans will realize what has happened over the last thirty years and they will be ANGRY, they will have nothing left and if they want to survive they will have but one imperitive, and one choice. To revolt.
It's Far past Damn time for this ... But I don't think enough Americans have the will or the Backbone for it ... Let us hope.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:40 PM   #27
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperman View Post
Does anyone think that the union has any affect on this, I mean who pays a person 38 buck an hour to tighten four bolts.

Who pays a president who blows smoke and then has been back-peddling since he was elected.

Yes, the UAW needs to take a little cut.
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 05:49 PM   #28
Tombstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch View Post
It's Far past Damn time for this ... But I don't think enough Americans have the will or the Backbone for it ... Let us hope.
Revolution!!!!!
Old 12-12-2008, 05:59 PM   #29
Genetic Defect
difetosso

First Name: Perry
Trading: (5)
VR
Genetic Defect has disabled reputation

and how many billions were used to bail out freddie and fannie
Old 12-12-2008, 06:02 PM   #30
ChicagoWhiteSox

Let them go down. What good will it do to bail them out? Will they restructure their business? Who knows.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:21 PM   #31
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

I will never ever buy an American made car. I am sick and tired of CEO's that make a **** load of money while they make crappy ass cars and then have the balls to ask for money to help their asses. Maybe if they actually made cars that were decent and didnt have salaires that could buy a small country, they wouldnt be in this mess. You don't see great car makers such as Audi, BMW, or Mercedes having problems.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:23 PM   #32
Genetic Defect
difetosso

VR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak View Post
I will never ever buy an American made car. I am sick and tired of CEO's that make a **** load of money while they make crappy ass cars and then have the balls to ask for money to help their asses. Maybe if they actually made cars that were decent and didnt have salaires that could buy a small country, they wouldnt be in this mess. You don't see great car makers such as Audi, BMW, or Mercedes having problems.
VW has issues, all manufactures makes lemons
Old 12-12-2008, 06:25 PM   #33
Rockestone
Anythings Possible

First Name: Greg
Bolivar MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Rockestone will become famous soon enoughRockestone will become famous soon enough

Unions=Bad for Business .
Old 12-12-2008, 06:29 PM   #34
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

I'm a little foggy on all the facts, but I understood this to be a low interest LOAN that the automakers will pay back. How, I don't know as less and less people seem to want to drive American cars.

I'm hypocritical as I frown on Japanese motorcycles, but have 2 Japanese automobiles in my garage that are leased and will be traded in for more Japanese cars when the lease is up.

Last Ford I had blew through 3 trannies before hitting 100k miles. My Japanese trucks and wife's car never need more than an oil change.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:51 PM   #35
Genetic Defect
difetosso

VR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockestone View Post
Unions=Bad for Business .
Battle of the Overpass.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:26 PM   #36
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Vito View Post
VW has issues, all manufactures makes lemons

Yea but you don't see any of them asking their governments to bail their asses out.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:56 PM   #37
BigFrank
5 3 1

First Name: Frank
Trading: (25)
Partagas
BigFrank will become famous soon enough

When the big three go bankrupt and end up being purchased by foreign companies, people will sing a different tune.
BigFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:58 PM   #38
Genetic Defect
difetosso

VR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post
When the big three go bankrupt and end up being purchased by foreign companies, people will sing a different tune.
I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket
Old 12-12-2008, 08:01 PM   #39
piperman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD720 View Post
What is important to keep in mind, IMO, is that this a problem with further reaching impact than just the assebley line employees of Ford or GM. The tire manufactures, seat belts, air filters, nuts and bolts, salesmen, rental fleet companies...the list goes on and on. All of those companies and their employees would be effected by even one of the major automobile manufactures going under.

True a lot of people will lose there jobs, companies wont make the money they use too. But the others Toyota, Honda, etc based here in the US. will now have to produce more which creates more jobs, still need tires, nuts, bolt, parts more sales people the list goes on.

The big three need to decide what is more important to them staying in business or restructure like lower wages better cars. Thats all
Old 12-12-2008, 08:02 PM   #40
Genetic Defect
difetosso

VR

and the circle continued