Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-07-2011, 09:04 AM   #1
RHNewfie
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (15)
Partagas
RHNewfie is a jewel in the roughRHNewfie is a jewel in the roughRHNewfie is a jewel in the rough
Default Finally Getting a New Hip!

Well, after years and years of the docs telling me to "hold off as long as you can" the time has come, time to get a shiny metal hip put in! I wonder if I can get a bionic one that plays some sort of theme song April 21st can't get here fast enough!

Anyone have experiences with this? Greg (NCRadioMan) and I have spoken about it as our hip conditions are similar and we are both young (I'm 36) so just wondering if there are any other semi-bionic folks around here!! Share your experienc!

And if all goes well I should be back up and moving just in time for herf season!!!
Old 03-07-2011, 09:10 AM   #2
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of
Default Re: Finally Getting a New Hip!

Congrats on the new hip Jeff.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:16 AM   #3
MidnightMonkey

That's great Jeff! I'm 33 and probably on the same pace. I'm actually looking forward to hearing about your progress and your experience once you get the new hip.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:18 AM   #4
SNKBYT
PATRIOT and VETERAN

First Name: Alex
Trading: (30)
Partagas Army (Disabled Vet)
SNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to all

congratz on the new hip..... just don't miss a payment & get it repo'd
Old 03-07-2011, 09:22 AM   #5
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Great to hear, Jeff!

If you are anything like me, you will want to go punch all the doctors that told you to wait.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:29 AM   #6
RHNewfie
Have My Own Room

Partagas
RHNewfie is a jewel in the roughRHNewfie is a jewel in the roughRHNewfie is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
Great to hear, Jeff!

If you are anything like me, you will want to go punch all the doctors that told you to wait.
Funny you should say that... Based on the last CT scan they said "hmmm your femur has gotten thin because you are not weight bearing... I hope there is enough bone mass to do it..." Grrrrr
Old 03-07-2011, 09:35 AM   #7
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Congratulations Jeff!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:37 AM   #8
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

All the best, Jeff. I'm not so much bionic as I am battery operated these days!
Old 03-07-2011, 09:57 AM   #9
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Didn't Wolfgang just had his hip replaced earlier this week?
Old 03-07-2011, 10:01 AM   #10
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Congrats Jeff! You'll be back to doing this and this in no time.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:27 AM   #11
TBone
Equal opportunity Bomber

First Name: Paul
Trading: (25)
ERdM AirForce (Disabled Vet)
TBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHNewfie View Post
Well, after years and years of the docs telling me to "hold off as long as you can" the time has come, time to get a shiny metal hip put in! I wonder if I can get a bionic one that plays some sort of theme song April 21st can't get here fast enough!

Anyone have experiences with this? Greg (NCRadioMan) and I have spoken about it as our hip conditions are similar and we are both young (I'm 36) so just wondering if there are any other semi-bionic folks around here!! Share your experienc!

And if all goes well I should be back up and moving just in time for herf season!!!
Jeff, I just had my second hip replaced 27 Oct 2010. Are you getting Titanium or Ceramic? Ceramic is said to last about 5-8 yrs longer than the titanium. My only recommendation is to do the Physical Therapy to the fullest. Yes it will suck and will hurt (alot) but in the long run you'll be better off. I had my right hip done Jun 09 and have had nothing but pain for failing to do the PT. I wish you a quick recovery my friend and being pain free isn't a bad thing either.

PS: find out who the maker of the prostetic is, if it's DePuy they are having recalls on them due to failure. Both of mine are made by Striker.
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:34 AM   #12
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Good news, bad news, Jeff. Wish you didn't need it but glad that you have the option. I have a couple friends with "hip upgrades" (their term, but I laugh every time I hear it) and they are very happy with the long term results.

If I recall, the reason for the wait is because of the chances that you will need another one eventually. I've been told recently, however, that the joint technology is reducing the wear out problem significantly. My brother's company makes devices / parts in this arena, so I hear quite about it at times.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:15 AM   #13
RHNewfie
Have My Own Room

Partagas

As of right now ceramic is the plan unless it doesn't fit this "situation". I will see if I can find out who the manufacturer is. Longevity is key of course, don't really want to have to get a revision if I don't have to!
Old 03-07-2011, 11:21 AM   #14
fissure
DHC Black Ops

First Name: Steve
Trading: (48)
Partagas
fissure has disabled reputation

Good luck Jeff!! Hopefully they will insert the newest technology so it can last as long as possible before needing the replacement replaced
fissure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #15
IBQTEE1
Crazy K

First Name: Kristin
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
IBQTEE1 has disabled reputation

Glad to hear the good news Jeff.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:54 AM   #16
BloodSpite
He Who Dares...WINS!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (1)
HdM Army (Disabled Vet)
BloodSpite is on a distinguished road

I've two. my first one was put in while I was in Hereford thanks to a small issue of finding that the law of gravity was still in affect after a training jump that went really bad. They gave me the good ol metal on metal variation.

When I got discharged the VA decided they didn't like the British work and replaced it with a crosslinked style.

The biggest difference between the two I've found is the weight. The poly is much more like a real hip, whereas I always felt off kilter with the metal.

To each their own I reckon
BloodSpite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:57 AM   #17
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

I just got home yesterday from my second hip replacement. Both on the same side. Had to get redone because of infection. My particular hip is a custom job done by a local Doctor. If possible ask for the muscle sparing surgery recovery is much much faster.

As Tbone said dont fluff off on PT. As annoying and seemingly never ending as it may be years after you will really be glad when your leg functions properly with strong muscles. For the record I am 22 years old and had my first hip done at 19.I diddnt take PT seriously and my muscles are severely impeded and this time around PT will be hell.

As for ceramic sockets while they potentially offer greater longevity of the hip they also have a much higher risk of cracking or shattering. One other I wouldn't call it a downside, but some people who get the ceramic sup their hip will squeak when they walk. Kinda funny, at first I'm sure.

If there are any questions you may have shoot me a PM. Im always on.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:13 PM   #18
RHNewfie
Have My Own Room

Partagas

You had to mention infection now didn't you! I know the instances are rare but here you are! I am having a custom built modular hip because I have hardware that needs to be removed that will leave holes in my femur, hence I have to have the full length incisions so not sure how muscle sparing that will be! I know the importance (and annoyance) of physio but will make sure I keep it up!!

Thanks for all the input folks, I really appreciate it!

Oh, and it is looking like I can get an epidural instead of having to go under general anesthetic!
Old 03-07-2011, 02:31 PM   #19
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHNewfie View Post

Oh, and it is looking like I can get an epidural instead of having to go under general anesthetic!
I got both and cant imagine it any other way.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:32 PM   #20
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Hoping it brings you a much improved quality of life, Jeff!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote