Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 10-02-2009, 01:33 PM   #1
SmokinApe
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeremy
Trading: (35)
Bolivar
SmokinApe has a spectacular aura aboutSmokinApe has a spectacular aura about
Default 2007 Hemi Signature Maduro

After a hectic time at the office I decided to treat myself to a nice cigar and relax out front with an adult beverage. Poking around the humi and looking for something different I decided to go the NC route and see what was available. After digging deep and blowing some dust off my premium selection of aged A.Fuente cigars I decided on the Hemingway Signature Maduro...

Given the constant buzz and admiration of many I felt that this was a good cigar to end a busy day with. Now, what to pair this beauty with??? I looked over my extensive collection of tequila, bourbon, rum and various wines and nothing really popped out... I decided to go with an ole favorite of mine... Beer!

Now this isn't just any beer, but a beer the originated in the land of pleasant living... A beer brewed in the old Baltimore style... National Bohemian...

This handsome cigar is draped in a Connecticut Broadleaf Maduro wrapper that is the color of dark semi-sweet chocolate. The cigar feels firm but not hard seeming to be rolled with impeccable attention to detail, in short it's very well constructed.

Effortlessly my Gen2 Palio cutter clips the head of this cigar at the exact spot it should. The prelight draw and sent remind me of an old bale of hay, not necessarily a good thing... However, still possessing a heart full of enthusiasm I eagerly ignite my Steele Blue PB - 207 and gently toast the foot...

My initial impressions are ones of disappointment as I search for words to describe the flavor, I can't find any... I think it is a result of the flatness presented by the Signature. I am detecting faint hints of mild tobacco and a slight maduro profile... I push forward in hopes the there will be some future developments... After a few pulls of Natty Boh my taste buds are refreshed and I dive back into the Hemi...

As I ease into the second third I find myself wondering what went wrong... This cigar has only made a bad day worse... I look to the heavens as ask God "Why? Why me?" Then in an instant, a solution pops into my head... Perhaps a purge will rid this forsaken roll of leaves from the clutches this dank and dampy bitterness! Carefully I blow a slow stream of air into the cigar and nothing happens, still a flat and somewhat bitter cigar. I'd call it one dimensional but that would be too many dimensions. Welling up with anger and despair I throw the cigar to the ground and curse it's creator!

Reflecting on the experience I get a little sick to my stomach when I think about what I spent on this cigar... The only consistent characteristic I have experienced with Fuente's of late is their inconsistency... The lesson learned? "If you have to go Dominican, smoke a Gomez..."

SmokinApe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 02:07 PM   #2
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 2007 Hemi Signature Maduro

Not sure what looks most appealing in this post...
Old 10-03-2009, 02:07 AM   #3
papajohn67
Reprobate From The 101st

Trading: (62)
papajohn67 is just really nicepapajohn67 is just really nicepapajohn67 is just really nicepapajohn67 is just really nice

It's a sad day when the pricy & limited Hemingway Signature Maduro get's shot down. So expensive and hard to find.

I have to admit it is one of my favorite maduro's. Have about a dozen currently in a deep sleep. Have never purchased one having been gifted my stash over the years.

Perhaps that's what makes them so enjoyable.
papajohn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:15 AM   #4
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Gotta love the AF Maduros.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:42 AM   #5
heavyd
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dave
Trading: (22)
RA MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
heavyd has disabled reputation

One of my favorite nc cigars... thanks for the pics

"You can't get to wonderful without passing through alright." ~Bill Withers
heavyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:30 AM   #6
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

First Name: Scott
Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold

I agree, the Hemi maduro has NO taste compared to the traditional cameroon wrapped Hemi.

If it helps, I give you a 10 on review skills!!!
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:36 AM   #7
McSmokey
Feeling at Home

First Name: Justin
Trading: (30)
LGC
McSmokey will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the review
McSmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 06:55 AM   #8
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

I think you had too many beers to taste that cigar. JK

Too bad you didint like it, thanks for sharing. Pretty funny to read!
Old 10-04-2009, 03:42 PM   #9
SmokinApe
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeremy
Trading: (35)
Bolivar
SmokinApe has a spectacular aura aboutSmokinApe has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the comments fellas...
SmokinApe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 05:24 PM   #10
Starchild
SERENITY NOW!

First Name: Andre
Trading: (11)
Montecristo
Starchild will become famous soon enough

I expected much more from the one hemi maduro I've had. Your review is consistent with my experience.

Great pics!
Old 10-04-2009, 07:11 PM   #11
Clampdown
I Cut Like a Buffalo

First Name: Brian
Trading: (12)
RA
Clampdown will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the review Ape. Many years ago I liked the Cuban Belis, and will still smoke an Opus or Anejo once or so a year, but the rest of the Fuentes are overpriced junk in my opinion.
Clampdown is offline   Reply With Quote