Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-07-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default A Wurst rant

OK, so I have a huge pet peeve and it goes like this.

A wurst is defined as a medium or large sausage.

Now then, Bratwurst are specific type of wurst, and are made by mixing ground meat (usually pork, but maybe adding other meats) to a specific style seasoning which gives it a typical brat flavor.

Now, there are all sorts of places which are making different kinds of brats. In fact, a local store boasts of over 30 different types of brats. So, being curious I inquired, expecting such things as beef brats, venison brats, chicken brats, turkey brats, etc... The meat might change, but the seasoning remained the same.

But no, that's not it at all. They had Cajun-brats, jalepeno brats, cheddar-brats, pepper jack-brats, chili-brats, and others. I asked, "so, do they all have the normal brat seasonings in them? To which I was informed they do not. OK, so since when did -brat become the new -wurst? It seems rather simple that since a brat is a specific type of wurst, how did brat come to be the new replacement for wurst?

Since wurst means sausage, and a brat is only one specific type of sausage, shouldn't they sport wurst name for sausage? cheddar-wurst, Cajun-wurst, chili-wurst, pizza-wurst, etc...

I think they are trying to say that they are smaller sausages that go on a bun, but still, they are not brats. I mean, they have brat patties next to the bratwurst, and they have the same seasoning as their regular brats. I am OK with that, for they use the typical brat seasonings.

OK, so this just frustrates me, and I don't know why. But thanks anyway for letting me rant. I feel better.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:25 PM   #2
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice
Default Re: A Wurst rant

Not enough Germans left in the US for it to be used correctly. Welcome to bastardization 101. You think Indian Fry Bread is Indian? FWIW it bugs the hell out of me too. But if the place has good beer by the end of the meal I forget why I was mad.

P.S. Frieden des Lords mit Ihnen.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:35 PM   #3
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
Not enough Germans left in the US for it to be used correctly. Welcome to bastardization 101. You think Indian Fry Bread is Indian? FWIW it bugs the hell out of me too. But if the place has good beer by the end of the meal I forget why I was mad.

P.S. Frieden des Lords mit Ihnen.
Hey, this was a butcher shop - owned and operated by the same family for a couple generations. They even have a guy who speaks with a German accent.

P.S. Unt mit dir!
Old 05-07-2010, 02:42 PM   #4
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

That's the wurst rant I've ever read!

Der Frieden Gottes mit dir, mein Freund!
Old 05-07-2010, 02:59 PM   #5
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

'Cause nobody knows what a Wurst is Todd. Most people know what a Brat is though.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:08 PM   #6
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

Thats it! From this point on I will embrace my German heritage and start correcting these fools and their Brat-Errors!

OK, so other than my Grandfather being stationed there, my family hasn't lived in Germany since the late 1600's, but I shall endeavor to persevere!

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:52 PM   #7
Vorb
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (7)
Vorb has disabled reputation

Well, it's like how all fru-fru drinks served in a martini glass are all
somehow <chocomintafruitrollup>-tinis...

Bugs the heck out of me too.
Vorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:21 PM   #8
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

Oh man, makes me want to go check the fridge for some liverwurst.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:27 PM   #9
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratters View Post
I thought I was the only one.
My wife thinks it's disgusting that I consider liverwurst a snack food...
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:20 PM   #10
SeanGAR
Crotchety Geezer

Trading: (3)
SeanGAR has disabled reputation

And raisin bread ... for *&^% sakes, they put raisins in it of all things.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:55 PM   #11
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanGAR View Post
And raisin bread ... for *&^% sakes, they put raisins in it of all things.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:59 PM   #12
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

If they still use the bratwurst meat but then add other special goodies like japalenos and cheese, can they still be classified as brats? Or are you strictly a purist where only unmolested bratwursts can have the preface of brat?
Old 05-07-2010, 09:45 PM   #13
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
If they still use the bratwurst meat but then add other special goodies like japalenos and cheese, can they still be classified as brats? Or are you strictly a purist where only unmolested bratwursts can have the preface of brat?

That's not a brat - sorry. A bratwurst should taste like a bratwurst, and not like something else - it shouldn't taste like a cheddarwurst, or liverwurst, or weisswurst, or mettwurst, or knackwurst, or anything else. With those seasonings you list, and the casing it is put into to make it a sausage, it can most definitely be a wurst, in fact it might be the best-wurst ever, but a brat(wurst) has specific parameters for seasonsing.

There are all kinds of places that make brat patties. Yes, shaped like a burger to go on a bun. They are rightly brat-somethings because of the seasonings.

I make a venison (or other wild game)/jalepeno/cheddar-wurst that also has a bit of pork, I even add some of the brat type seasoning (and some others) and make it about the same size as a brat, and intend it to be eaten on a bun. Often, the recipe varies, adding onions, or cajun seasoning, or all sorts of stuff. Sometimes we make the same recipe twice. Some recipes we keep around and make regularly. Sometimes, we've even tried to come up with a name for the great-wursts we make around our home, but we don't call it a brat.

But again, this is only my personal proclivity and nobody else is bound to my opinion on the matter.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:46 PM   #14
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorb View Post
Well, it's like how all fru-fru drinks served in a martini glass are all
somehow <chocomintafruitrollup>-tinis...

Bugs the heck out of me too.
Amen brother, preach it. Might be a tasty drink, but they ain't martini. And by the way, I am not a fan of martinis whatsoever. But it just ain't right!

PAX
Old 05-07-2010, 09:55 PM   #15
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Oh, I love the stuff. Mostly I just spread it on saltines. It's like salt in paste form. My fiance swore she hated it until I made her try some. Now she loves it.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:13 PM   #16
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratters View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Nothing better than having a couple slices of rye bread. No, make that dark rye with mustard and mayo. Pile on several slices of your favorite liverwurst, and then top it off with several slices of muenster cheese. A good beer is manditory and life is good
Old 05-07-2010, 11:32 PM   #17
joeobx
just playing in the storm

First Name: Joe
Trading: (4)
joeobx will become famous soon enough

I think a lot of it is marketing.... brat is easer to sell than wurst, which reminds people of liver.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:34 AM   #18
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post

Now then, Bratwurst are specific type of wurst, and are made by mixing ground meat (usually pork, but maybe adding other meats) to a specific style seasoning which gives it a typical brat flavor.
and this is where you go wrong Rev
Quote:
A bratwurst (pronounced [ˈbʁaːtvʊɐst] De-Bratwurst.ogg (help·info)) is a sausage usually composed of veal, pork or beef. The name is German, derived from Old High German brätwurst, from brät-, which is finely chopped meat and -wurst, or sausage. Though the brat in bratwurst describes the way the sausages are made, it is often misconstrued to be derived from the German verb "braten", which means to pan fry or roast.[1] Bratwurst are usually grilled and sometimes cooked in broth or beer.
Brat is finely chopped meat, not the seasoning.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:43 AM   #19
pmwz
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (0)
pmwz is on a distinguished road

let me as geman guy explain you what bratwurst means:
Bratwurst comes fom the geman words Brät = chopped/ground beaf + wurst =sausage. If the sausage made out of brät you can call it Bratwurst.
pmwz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 03:43 PM   #20
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

It's time for a cigar! I think I will have a corndog on a stick with that...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote