Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 05-27-2010, 09:50 AM   #1
Zoomschwortz
I'm back

Trading: (3)
Zoomschwortz is on a distinguished road
Default How or where can I find pipe values?

Is there anyplace online that has pipe values?

Thanks
Ken
Zoomschwortz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:00 AM   #2
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: How or where can I find pipe values?

For estate pipes?
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:15 AM   #3
Zoomschwortz
I'm back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Quan View Post
For estate pipes?
Both estate and new.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:34 AM   #4
the MacDonald
Grey beard, funky wierd

First Name: Joe
Trading: (9)
Trinidad
the MacDonald will become famous soon enough

Pipe values are so subjective it is hard to say if I have a brand “x,” it is worth “y.” Pipes being handmade and made of a natural material, each one is slightly different. It’s probably not what you’re after for advice, but I generally keep eye on ebay, and see what e-tailers are selling a comparable pipe for. If I see a few comparables in the same range I can be pretty confident in a value.
the MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:56 AM   #5
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

What do you mean by pipe value? An estate KKKK Sea Rock Castello for $175 is a great value, but that may not be for you. But, the the new one for $330 might be.

Of course, maybe what you mean by a value pipe is a new Stanwell for $70.

Or, you might want a genuine Missouri Meerschaum for $5.25

So, I guess you might want to help us clarify what you mean by "value pipes."
Old 05-27-2010, 02:34 PM   #6
Zoomschwortz
I'm back

Well, lets take Ebay for instance.

If I see a pipe made somewhere in the 50's that is in nice shape, how do I place a value on it?

Another case, I bought a beautiful freestanding J shaped Giorgio Orsini with silver on the stem and on the top of the bowl. The fit and finish is very nice and it smokes great.

I bought it in Munich in 2007, don't remember what I paid for it, but I believe it was somewhere in the 150-250 Euro range.

Did I get a good deal or did I get ripped off?

Where would I go to find out?

Thanks.
Ken
Old 05-27-2010, 05:30 PM   #7
Zoomschwortz
I'm back

I know it is very hard to get an idea of a pipes value with a picture, but it is almost impossible without one, so here is a picture of the pipe I bought in Munich.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Munich Pipe.jpg (107.2 KB, 428 views)
Old 05-27-2010, 05:48 PM   #8
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomschwortz View Post
Well, lets take Ebay for instance.

If I see a pipe made somewhere in the 50's that is in nice shape, how do I place a value on it?

Another case, I bought a beautiful freestanding J shaped Giorgio Orsini with silver on the stem and on the top of the bowl. The fit and finish is very nice and it smokes great.

I bought it in Munich in 2007, don't remember what I paid for it, but I believe it was somewhere in the 150-250 Euro range.

Did I get a good deal or did I get ripped off?

Where would I go to find out?

Thanks.
Ken
Watching pipes on e-bay will give you an idea of what their value is on the open market. Also, you do searches for estate pipes of the same make and era.

Quote:
I know it is very hard to get an idea of a pipes value with a picture, but it is almost impossible without one, so here is a picture of the pipe I bought in Munich.
As for the Orsini, from what I know, you got a decent price for the pipe.

Ultimately it comes down to this. Do you think you got a fair price for the value of the smoking experience you are getting from the pipe.

For example, I have yet to have a Dunhill that I thought was worth $50, much less the $300+ pricetag on them. Thankfully, I never bought one, but they were all estate pipes given to me. And others thing Dunhills are the cat's meow - whatever. Therefore, if you'd have said you paid $300 for a new Dunhill, I'd have said you were ripped off.

To sum this all up - you need to satisfy your own tastes and base your analysis for value upon that. It is kind of like your tobacco and cigars. If you like what you are smoking, and really enjoying it, who cares what anybody else thinks. If it is in your price range and makes you happy, then it is a good value.

That's my

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:27 PM   #9
Zoomschwortz
I'm back

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
Watching pipes on e-bay will give you an idea of what their value is on the open market. Also, you do searches for estate pipes of the same make and era.

As for the Orsini, from what I know, you got a decent price for the pipe.

Ultimately it comes down to this. Do you think you got a fair price for the value of the smoking experience you are getting from the pipe.

For example, I have yet to have a Dunhill that I thought was worth $50, much less the $300+ pricetag on them. Thankfully, I never bought one, but they were all estate pipes given to me. And others thing Dunhills are the cat's meow - whatever. Therefore, if you'd have said you paid $300 for a new Dunhill, I'd have said you were ripped off.

To sum this all up - you need to satisfy your own tastes and base your analysis for value upon that. It is kind of like your tobacco and cigars. If you like what you are smoking, and really enjoying it, who cares what anybody else thinks. If it is in your price range and makes you happy, then it is a good value.

That's my

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Thank you very much and I am glad that you mentioned the Dunhills because I have seen them listed and was having a hard time understanding why they cost so much.

I hold my pipes and cigars in my hand and rarely have them clamped in my mouth, so for my pipes I seem to be attracted to heavier pipes.

Thanks again.
Ken
Old 05-27-2010, 08:12 PM   #10
Zoomschwortz
I'm back

Are there any books that give pipe values?

I seem to be baffled by pipe prices.

I was just checking ebay and found a Peterson's Tankard that they want $110 for. I picked up a restored one at Tinderbox, out of their estate box for very little money, maybe $20.

I need to start educating myself.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:38 PM   #11
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Thank you very much and I am glad that you mentioned the Dunhills because I have seen them listed and was having a hard time understanding why they cost so much.

I hold my pipes and cigars in my hand and rarely have them clamped in my mouth, so for my pipes I seem to be attracted to heavier pipes.

Thanks again.
Ken
I like to sit a puff while doing other things, so I prefer pipes that I can "hook." That is when the top button on the bit is against my upper teeth and resting lightly in my mouth - gravity keeps it from falling out. Clenching give me a jaw ache.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:53 PM   #12
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

There is nothing out there on the web or in print that is a "Blue Book" type price guide. With Thousands of carvers and tens if not hundreds of thousands of lines it would be imposable to do.

For good condition estate pipes a decent guideline is they can be bought for half of what they cost new. If your selling or trading one to a B&M expect to get 1/4 to 1/3 of what it cost new.
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:42 PM   #13
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Understanding Ken' question right off the bat, I knew that he was looking for a 'blue book' of pipes or a web page or two for the value of certain pipes.

Pipe values, unlike antique oil lamps, game bird plates, or coins, I believe are based more on intrinsic values. In essence, people may place a certain value on the carver (domestic/foreign), pipe style (apple, billiard, poker...), type of wood (domestic/foreign briar...), is it smooth, rusticated, age and condition of the pipe, sentimental value (gee, looks just like the pipe good ol' uncle
Bert use to smoke...), and blah, blah, blah, and blah....

Best bet is to monitor *bay and other web sites dedicated to selling estate pipes (and there are many of them) to get a good idea of the potential value of a particular pipe.

Hope my 3 cents helps you out...

ps. I haven't done this yet, but possibly walking into your local pawn shop may produce a beauty of a pipe as well
Old 05-27-2010, 10:45 PM   #14
Neuromancer
Will work for Boli GM's

First Name: Marc
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Neuromancer will become famous soon enoughNeuromancer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Are there any books that give pipe values?

I seem to be baffled by pipe prices.

I was just checking ebay and found a Peterson's Tankard that they want $110 for. I picked up a restored one at Tinderbox, out of their estate box for very little money, maybe $20.

I need to start educating myself.
This is such a difficult subject...you start cruising the online pipe e-tailers and ebay, and you sorta begin to get a feel for it...dunno any other way...
Old 05-28-2010, 09:35 AM   #15
Zoomschwortz
I'm back

Thanks everyone for your help.

Looks like I need to do a lot more surfing of the web and I might even hit some of the pawn shops. I might even hit Packwood Washington this weekend for their swapmeet. Every Memorial and Laborday weekend the whole town turns into a swapmeet.

Take care and have a safe and fun Memorial weekend guys.
Ken
Old 05-28-2010, 09:45 AM   #16
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

There are valuation formulas for used pipes (which I have read elsewhere, hell if I remember where) that are quite specific. Professionals routinely work with percentage rates off MSRP to determine value. If you're in the business the values do not include guesswork.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:35 PM   #17
Curly Cut
Not Scary

Trading: (9)
Curly Cut is on a distinguished road

yep, no place i've seen has a guide on values... and if they did, ebay and estate pipe retailers online would destroy it with 2 minutes worth of searching.

one week you'll see a Stanwell in great condition, old one, reg'd #'s and all, go for $20 on ebay. the next, you'll see one that's the same age, bad condition, it'll go for $65.

i snagged an almost brand new Larrysson Pipe (could still see the wood on the walls) for $127, when it was just bought earlier that year for probably close to $275-300 range.

one guy can find a brand new Ser Jacapo on ebay for $90 if they're lucky... and then turn around and see another for nearly $300.

just depends on the market and if "the guy" in that market sees your pipe for sale, or if you are the only guy to see what you're in the market for.