Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 02-18-2020, 05:04 PM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default OK, why?

Hopefully that beginning got your attention. If you are here reading this, I guess it did. What I am hoping here is to be educated a bit. (But you need to read to through my preamble to get to the question)

I am a big fan of the tried and true. I cut my teeth on cigars in back in 1976 when I snagged a cigar from a dude I was caddying for...he had a whole box of Dutch Masters Presidentes in his golf bag. I figured since I had to carry them around, I deserved one! (I was 14, cut me some slack)
Well, when I was in college, I got to try some great smokes and they became regulars in my rotation.
Arturo Fuente: Rothschildes, Chateau Fuente, and Heminway Short Stories ($63 a box). (as I hung out with John Nitschke, I brought Mr. Nitschke an AF Chateau in the maduro and asked him to forgive me for taking one of his DMs. He laughed, we enjoy a beer and a cigar, and he informed me he enjoyed his DMs more.)
El Rey del Mundo Robustos were a wonderful smoke, and when I picked some up a couple years ago, I lit one up for a walk in the woods after grouse, and was amazed as the flavors and side-slip smoke transported me back, it was incredible how consistent they were.
Punch Rothschilds were the other ones that were a regular part of my rotation.

A few Partagas would slip in once in a while, or maybe a Hoyo de Monterrey. Padrons were another that made it in on a regular basis.

That's how it went until the '90s and lots of new brands came around Nick Perdomo was putting out some good stuff, Litto Gomez came on the scene, and thousands of other wanted to cash in on the boom. Some were good, some were awful, and some made awful seem really tasty.

I got skeptical very fast and didn't try new things unless someone I knew (who had some money to afford the $10 Don Whodahell's latest offering) said that it was a great smoke. And I might plop down the cash to try it.
Opus X came out, and they still don't burn straight.
Partagas 150s were excellent... I bought a box of the robustos when I had saved up the cash from a couple weddings and a funeral.

Since 1980 I have seen a lot of cigars come, and many of them go. So, I am hesitant to try new things. I have developed a few new favorites over the years since then. Recently I am enjoying a few of the Curivari lines, and I really enjoy The Tabernacle (in different wrappers). There are also a few others, but those are the most recent.

OK, here it is.

What cigars have appeared on your radar in the last 3-5 years that are new to the market that you are really enjoying? And why are you now a fan?

Thanks!

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:17 PM   #2
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: OK, why?

Any Dunbarton cigars. They’re not cheap, even the Umbagog. Steve Saka has a great palate for his blends, which I find I like. I’ve smoked quite a few boxes, but they’re not an every day smoke at the prices he commands.

The HR Robaina, white bands. KidRock turned me onto them. You can get then fairly cheap at Famous. Just a unique flavor that’s different then most.

Warped Futuro’s are another. Again, unique flavor in a moderately priced stick.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:44 AM   #3
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

First Name: Michael
Trading: (5)
RA
gomeitsmybday will become famous soon enoughgomeitsmybday will become famous soon enough

Haha I have had the same experiences with the Opus X, crooked burns and for way too much money.

I haven't had a bad stick by Southern Draw. Particularly I suggest the Jacobs Ladder Brimstone if you enjoy a full body.

Also, I know the brand certainly isn't as new as Southern Draw but I absolutely love every single cigar by 601. Every one is jam packed with peppery spice and so much flavor.

I'm also with Bob, the Warped Futuro is great, I also really like the Corto by Warped as well as the La Hacienda - that one is a great am smoke with coffee. On that note, there is a lot of good stuff made with Aganorsa tobacco, the Guardian of the Farm natural and maduro and Sabor Aganorsa is a personal favorite.

Last, another newcomer that really knocked my socks off lately was the Crook of the Crown by Stolen Throne. One of the most potent cigars I've had this year and immense flavor, the kind of cigar that grabs your attention. Not cheap, about 10 a piece but I'm hoping CigarFed has another sale soon because I'll buy a box worth to set aside to age.

There certainly is a heck of a lot of options out there these days and it can be tough to separate the over hyped crap from the really good stuff, but I've found by watching what others suggest and review well here at the asylum is usually a safe bet.
gomeitsmybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:01 AM   #4
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I like Michael's call on the Southern Draw, Todd, had a couple Rose of Sharon and really enjoyed them.

The NC company that really attracted my attention last year (though they have been in business since 2014) is Caldwell. The majority of things I've tried have been excellent, and the Long Live the King even has a "semi"-regular spot in my current rotation. The King is Dead, Young Savages, and several other lines by them have been good for me.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:48 AM   #5
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I had some Caldwells (can’t remember which vitolla) recently and they were excellent!

Mostly smoking small stuff right now and I really like the Ashton Half Corona’s, RG Perlas, HU Half Coronas.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 11:47 AM   #6
Beagleone
Feeling at Home

Trading: (18)
JL
Beagleone will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Any Dunbarton cigars. They’re not cheap, even the Umbagog. Steve Saka has a great palate for his blends, which I find I like. I’ve smoked quite a few boxes, but they’re not an every day smoke at the prices he commands.
Curious, what are you paying for Umbagogs? I find them for around $6-$9 a stick at my B&M. I like them and they are in my wheelhouse. I am also big into Tatuajes, particularly the Fausto line right now. Caldwell are good. The Tabernacle like are pretty tasty and full bodied. Aledino cigars by Julio R. Eiroa are really well constructed, but are also in my NC rotation right now.
Old 02-19-2020, 01:06 PM   #7
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Thanks for the tips guys.

Michael, if you want the Opus X dream (a Dominican puro, including wrapper) but without the outrageous price tag... and with all the flavor, and none of the burn issues? Then try the La Flor Dominicana Litto Gomez Diez line. If you can find them, they are all that Opus X aspires to be.

601s have been around for quite a while. I remember the Blues being very good, but their quality has slipped.
I've heard and seen stuff about Dunbartons, but that was one which the price was quite prohibitive.
(The Tabernacle was like that too - and I had no expectation of trying any until someone here gifted me a couple.)
As for Caldwell, I saw some good stuff about them, some questionable stuff, and then I did not know which ones were the ones to consider.

Finally, Tatuajes... There are a few that I really, really enjoyed, but they are not what they once were. I really grooved on the brown label Noellas, they had a great draw, burn, and incredible flavors so I got a couple boxes that I found on special quite a few years ago. Well, another special came up just a year or two back, so I got some more (since the others were gone) and was thoroughly underwhelmed - they were not at all the same cigar.

Anyway, keep the ideas coming.

Old 02-19-2020, 02:11 PM   #8
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

I wholeheartedly agree with the Dunbarton's. Everything is great especially the Sin Compromiso. It's expensive but soooooo worth it!

Also, AJ Fernandez is producing tons of great cigars. The New World Cameroons is smooth as silk. Altadis gave him the opportunity to his version of Hoyo, Punch, H. Upmann, Monte & several different Romeos. They all are fantastic. The standouts are the Punch Diablo an H Upmann by AJ. The Crafted by AJ Monte's and RyJ's are especially tasty, too. He also produces a line called "The Last Call". Nothing in the line is over 46rg. Love 'em! And one more, La Gran Llave is a favorite maduro.

Aganorsa Leaf is making some good stuff these days too! JFR Lunatic Robusto, Guardian of the Farm Natural and Nightwatch plus the Lunatic figurado's with the exclusive Corojo Maduro wrappers are nice.
NCRadioMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 01:06 AM   #9
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Dave
Trading: (21)
RA
Weelok has a spectacular aura aboutWeelok has a spectacular aura about

Ezra Zion All My Ex’s Maduro
Ezra Zion Jamais Vu
Ezra Zion Eminence
Black Label Trading Company Last Rites
Black Label Trading Company Santa Muerte
Black Label Trading Company Bishops Blend
Black Works Studio Sindustry
Crowned Heads La Careme
La Mission du L’Atelier
Fratello Bianco
Roma Craft Neanderthal
Enclave Broadleaf and Habano by A J Fernandez
Cigar Fed Mexican Hot Chocolate
Cigar Fed Leche de Mama
Cigar Fed HendriX
L’Atelier Identite Melamge
Casa Fernandez Guardian of the Farm regular and Night Watch
Agamorsa Leaf Signature Selection

Why am I a fan? Great flavors and consistent construction.
Old 02-21-2020, 04:53 AM   #10
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

RA
gomeitsmybday will become famous soon enoughgomeitsmybday will become famous soon enough
Red face Re: OK, why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
Thanks for the tips guys.

Michael, if you want the Opus X dream (a Dominican puro, including wrapper) but without the outrageous price tag... and with all the flavor, and none of the burn issues? Then try the La Flor Dominicana Litto Gomez Diez line. If you can find them, they are all that Opus X aspires to be.

601s have been around for quite a while. I remember the Blues being very good, but their quality has slipped.
Thanks for the tip! I have not had much by LFD aside from the Double Ligero Chisel, (which is awesome) so I will definitely keep my eyes peeled for that one.

I keep hearing that about 601. I should explain, when 601 was being made by DPG I was still a casual cigar smoker and just bought the occasional recommended stick at nearby B&Ms - so I never got to try the DPG 601s. Oh, how I wish I had, considering the amazing stuff I have heard about them though,

So with that in mind, I'm not sure what they were like when they first made the switch to AJs factory, but all the 601s I've been buying over the last year have been great, especially the the habanos. If you'd be interested Todd, feel free to pm me your address and Ill send you a 4-5er of 601 stuff!
Old 02-21-2020, 06:41 AM   #11
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomeitsmybday View Post
Thanks for the tip! I have not had much by LFD aside from the Double Ligero Chisel, (which is awesome) so I will definitely keep my eyes peeled for that one.

I keep hearing that about 601. I should explain, when 601 was being made by DPG I was still a casual cigar smoker and just bought the occasional recommended stick at nearby B&Ms - so I never got to try the DPG 601s. Oh, how I wish I had, considering the amazing stuff I have heard about them though,

So with that in mind, I'm not sure what they were like when they first made the switch to AJs factory, but all the 601s I've been buying over the last year have been great, especially the the habanos. If you'd be interested Todd, feel free to pm me your address and Ill send you a 4-5er of 601 stuff!
I will give you my addy, so long as you give me yours. I will send a LGD (with a bit of age), and some stuff that has been around forever, and maybe an aged cigar.

Capriciously giving you my address without an exchange in place?

PM me with addy if interested.

Old 02-21-2020, 06:57 AM   #12
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Dave, I have had some of the Roma Croft stuff, Neanderthals included, but not remembering the size right now...also had some Intemperance (EC & BA) and Cromagnam.

As you might guess, the Bishop'S Blend has an intriguing name to me.

Thanks for the list of things to watch for, and as I see them, to get a couple to sample.

Old 02-21-2020, 01:59 PM   #13
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I like Michael's call on the Southern Draw, Todd, had a couple Rose of Sharon and really enjoyed them.

The NC company that really attracted my attention last year (though they have been in business since 2014) is Caldwell. The majority of things I've tried have been excellent, and the Long Live the King even has a "semi"-regular spot in my current rotation. The King is Dead, Young Savages, and several other lines by them have been good for me.
For most of the ones you suggest, I could see a single to try, and maybe 5-er, but as far as getting into my rotation...well, a bit steep for my consideration (at least at a quick glance).

Old 02-21-2020, 02:18 PM   #14
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagleone View Post
Curious, what are you paying for Umbagogs? I find them for around $6-$9 a stick at my B&M. I like them and they are in my wheelhouse. I am also big into Tatuajes, particularly the Fausto line right now. Caldwell are good. The Tabernacle like are pretty tasty and full bodied. Aledino cigars by Julio R. Eiroa are really well constructed, but are also in my NC rotation right now.
If I order from The Party Source, they’re around $6/stick. There’s only one B&M locally I go to that carries them. IIRC, closer to $9+.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:13 PM   #15
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomeitsmybday View Post

I would be happy to do an exchange. I have a LGD I could send a couple of the old brands, and a few with some aged stuff.

If interested, send me a PM.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:17 PM   #16
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
I would be happy to do an exchange. I have a LGD I could send a couple of the old brands, and a few with some aged stuff.

If interested, send me a PM.
Pm sent!
Old 02-25-2020, 01:44 PM   #17
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Anything Caldwell. They are the next Curivari. No one buys them much right now so I can usually get the 5pack sampler for $10 on CBid

La Barba - Same as above.

Mi Querida are fantastic and still flying below radar even though they were a top 25 on CA this year.

Plus one on Dunbarton. I find the Sobremesa to be similar for (usually) cheaper.

Some of the A Fernandez blended General/Altadis stuff is great-- Upmann & Allones specifically

Everything from Crowned Heads - La Careme and Headley Grange are both really good. La Careme has a creamy sweetness to it. Again....they are cheapish right now and can be found on a deal. La Imperiosa are always in rotation. The Las Calaveras EL stuff is also quite good (green label in 2018, i think it is red in 2019) but can be spendy.

Todos Las Dias is another budget friendly smoke from Steve Saka
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:01 PM   #18
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
Anything Caldwell. They are the next Curivari. No one buys them much right now so I can usually get the 5pack sampler for $10 on CBid

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote