Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 12-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #941
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Being a Hockey Parent

^^^^Awesome!

Hockey players or just students helping with the camp?
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #942
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
^^^^Awesome!

Hockey players or just students helping with the camp?
All the girls left after the initial check-in were skaters and somehow involved with the camp. There were a ton of students helping with the check in, but most left right after that. Same thing with the Selects Hockey camp in Buffalo, they use UofB students to help campers get to their rooms, check in, etc etc.

Cam pointed out a girl at check-in that looked exactly like Mila Kunis. The resemblance was uncanny. She had gone home before this pic was taken, or he would have had her in it

The Mila-lookalike wasn't a skater, but both of these girls were, and were there the whole week.

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:43 PM   #943
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Haven't gone through the pics tonight.... Crushed a team from up North.... It was a nice win and the boys played well and did just what they should have against this team. Could have scored 17-20....

Liked this off the bat... Just saying thanks to the other kids....

Old 12-24-2012, 05:56 AM   #944
Perpmor
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Perpmor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
So this post has 2 parts.....

First.... The Little Man went away from Eagle gloves.... Don't know why this is disappointing to me, but it is all the same. He has had a pair on since he was 7 and now TPS.... Like always, I tell him, fit and function is key....and tossed him what was sure to be his next gloves(Eagle PPF's). Told him to try on a few pair of gloves while I chased his sister around, who was trying on every piece of equipment in the place. Anyway, came back and he had his gloves picked out... I am sure I must have given a look, because I got the response "They are what fit best, I LIKE THESE." Dad was just overruled for the first time in an equipment purchase..... (I still think the Eagle's felt better)

Second..... Just paid for this years USAHockey fee this morning. Purchased a new helmet(just because), shield(his old fishbowl was hammered), gloves and shin guards this afternoon...... Saturday I will pay this years rec hockey fees(his last year) and expect to hear shortly what this season of high school hockey(his first regular season, has been playing this Summer with the JV team) will be costing me.... It is a good damn thing I love this sport and being at the rink, because it is not exactly easy on my wallet.

Guess there could be worse things, right....I could be paying for travel leagues... (He also is going to make it into the new season in last years skates, so that is a nice treat)

In the end, I could not be happier to be working my way through this and cross my fingers that his sister catches the bug as well....

P.S. I'll get a box of cigars worth of cash out of his old stuff at the skate swap....

P.S.S. 2 more years and I don't have to taxi him to practices, drop in and stick & puck.
Thanks for sharing your experience you have nice son to keep you busy.
Perpmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #945
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Thanks!

Reading that brings back funny memories.... How things have changed in 2 years. The Little Man does now drive himself to practices, games and dryland.... It is quite a change, in a good way. Though now I am paying travel fees, though at a lower level. What is a few extra K on top of the rest....

Now helping coach the Little One....which takes up that time that I save not having to drive the older one around.

Still love doing this....
Old 12-25-2012, 12:02 AM   #946
Perpmor
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Perpmor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks!

Reading that brings back funny memories.... How things have changed in 2 years. The Little Man does now drive himself to practices, games and dryland.... It is quite a change, in a good way. Though now I am led bulb paying travel fees, though at a lower level. What is a few extra K on top of the rest....

Now helping coach the Little One....which takes up that time that I save not having to drive the older one around.

Still love doing this....
You have some great memories thanks for sharing it
Perpmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:00 PM   #947
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Well, the boy is in Phoenix and I'm not there.....or going. First tourney I'll miss.... They are VERY, VERY shorthanded. Have caught the injury bug and have at least 2 kids that had other Holiday obligations.... I think they will have 9 skaters, not kidding......

Going to be ugly.....but I just encouraged the LM to have fun and play hard, whatever happens....just give your best.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:06 PM   #948
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

.....and what do you know.....Jr. Grizz beat the Jr. Kings in game 1. LM gets the game winner!
Old 01-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #949
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

AMAZING crowd last night at the game. We played a team that I wouldn’t really call a rival or even someone we consider an afterthought. They are having what has to be their best hockey season ever and feel like a State title is within reach. They are one of the two biggest schools in the State, about double the population of our student body and historically are VERY good at the major sports.

Anyway, they brought the house, arena was PACKED. Lots of noise, atmosphere that I have never seen at a regular season game. That intensified after they scored the first goal of the game, about 3-4 minutes into the first.

It went downhill from there for the opposing team. We CRUSHED them(9-3), but it was still nuts. I love that type of atmosphere for the kids & I know they revel in it.

No pics at work, will throw some up later....
Old 01-10-2013, 12:40 PM   #950
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

The Little One had the opportunity to go practice with the U14 Lady Lightning and their U14 Developmental Team the other night. It was apparent that she was clearly out skilled/sized/strength by most of the girls(she'll be 8 this month), she really held her own with some of the others.

They split the girls up by ability after a bit and went to an ADM practice, where she did just fine. On the flip side, I don’t know what girls were there that were actually guests and what girls were on the developmental team(it was obvious who were actually on the Lady Lightning team). Wish I knew.

She had such a great time, it being the first time she has just practiced with girls. I ask her what her favorite part was, her response "The whole thing." It was also nice that there was a girl on the LL team that she had met before, her brother plays with the Little One's brother on the Jr. Grizzlies.

Took a couple pictures, as I tend to do. VERY strange to have her be the small kid…..

Old 01-11-2013, 06:18 AM   #951
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

Love those pics E.J.

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:15 AM   #952
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
Love those pics E.J.
Thanks, Scott....

Quote:
No pics at work, will throw some up later....
Some from Wednesday nights game....

This is actually with just a few minutes to play.... The game was already chippy and he is being VERY vocal about keeping their cool, that he doesn't want something stupid to happen that could cost them games in the State Tournament.

Who doesn't love celebrating....

More celebrating...

Old 01-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #953
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Is there any wonder why he leads the team in PIM.... WTF???? I sent this to him as a visual learning lesson. These pics are taken about 30 seconds apart....

YOU DO THIS......

YOU END UP HERE........

He's 3rd on the team in scoring, so he's not just gooning it up....but sometimes I shake my head.....
Old 01-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #954
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

Love the pics of Abbs. Thats so awesome. I have some of micah when he was 5 with first year squirts. Crazy size difference.

The flu is ripping through our house and the boy is falling. The West Coast NARCH Winter Nationals are this weekend. Teams from Hawaii and So Cal are coming. At this point I hope he will be able to play in a game by Sunday or Monday. He is already getting sad he may miss this. Horrible timing. They are supposed to go to LA in the spring and summer for thr jr olympics, but this is a big one.
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:02 PM   #955
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

As for the penalties, dont know what to say.
My kid has been glossed the little $hit and last weekend was told to go after a kid who kept jabbing at the goalie after he froze the puck. He apparently got his pound of flesh from the kid and it stopped. . I was told none of the second years were able to handle the job so the first year took care of it. The coaches were talking about how he hip checked a kid on the boards perfectly. He took a penalty but I guess the were so proud no one cared.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:50 PM   #956
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

How's the West Coast NARCH Winter Nationals going, Mike? PICS?!?!?!

Here are a few from this weeks tourney.... After a diappointing start, we beat the Capital Thunder(Sacramento) to get to the Championship. LM had a goal and an assist in the Semi Final game..... Here are a few pics from said game...

Let's play!

Old 01-20-2013, 09:50 PM   #957
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

His goal.....and celly....

Old 01-20-2013, 09:51 PM   #958
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

His assist... Monster slap shot from the point that was deflected at the net.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:18 PM   #959
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

UNBELIEVEABLE!!! Just got this in the mail(see below)........WTF!!! Just beat a team in the semi final and they are advancing.... How do you come through pool play, play a 2 vs 3, assuming you'll play the 1 vs 4. Win and then play the loser of the 1 vs 4....(the 4).... Wish I could ***** about a phucking trainwreck of a tournament, but it's ours.... UNBELIEVEABLE.....PHUCK.

Here's the deal. The way the rules read, it states the two teams with the most points advance. And the schedule doesn't say Semi Finals. Bummer deal but we did what we had to do and beat them. They can cry all the way home after Ogden puts a beat down on them. All we can do is go out like we played today and kick the crap out of Greenwood. All in all be proud of how we played today and bring it tomorrow!!
Old 01-21-2013, 11:01 PM   #960
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Had a somewhat similar weekend.
The boys went 4-1 on the weekend. They took third in runner up game. They lost to the tournament winner 8-6. Dont want to blame the goalie but he got yanked because he couldnt make a save and let in the first 5 shots he faced. Soft soft goals.

Sucks because the one lost saturday knocked them out because the champs and another team tied. If we had played the other team we would have won and got to the championship. Just didnt work out.