Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 03-29-2010, 09:44 AM   #1
Darrell

Default Is 3D being over done?

I was thinking yesterday while watching How to train your dragon in 3D, I cannot help but feel that 3D is being over done. It's like the latest trend in film making and I feel like it is too much too soon.

I enjoy a 3D movie on occasion, though I will admit it gives me a headache and I have to take the glasses off a few times during the movie and close my eyes.

I feel like Hollywood is going to use this technology as a means to market crappy movies. This has not been the case with every 3D movie, but it has been the case with several (Alice in Wonderland, Spy Kids 3D, etc.)

Our HD technology is not even perfected yet and everyone seems balls to the wall with putting stuff in 3D.

My other concern is their are a few movies that are 3D that the kids will want when they come out. How will those transfer to our home TV?

Hollywood needs to focus on new screenplays and fresh ideas and less 3D.

Thoughts?
Old 03-29-2010, 09:51 AM   #2
BC-Axeman

Default Re: Is 3D being over done?

This is why I still haven't see Avatar (I read the screenplay). You have to ask yourself if it would be worth watching if it were 2D line drawn animation or 2D live acting.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:56 AM   #3
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

In general, Yes. Now I am seeing ads for 3D TVs and Blu-Ray Players. I honestly think it's a phase and this time next year 3D movies won't be so common place.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
RightAJ
Here Franky Franky

First Name: aj
Trading: (3)
RA
RightAJ will become famous soon enough

Yep. It's cool once in a while, but gives me a headache

aj
Old 03-29-2010, 10:07 AM   #5
Savvy
Bull Goose Loony

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (11)
Partagas AirForce (Active)
Savvy will become famous soon enough

My friend swears it's the wave of the future for the movie industry, whereas I think it's just faddish, and I really don't like it in the first place.

If they continue doing 3-D, half the films are going to be shot with the characters facing directly into the camera...lame...
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:30 AM   #6
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (18)
Montecristo
PeteSB75 will become famous soon enough

The problem is that they are able to charge more for the tickets at the theatres, and it is incentive to increase theatre attendance. DVDs took a huge chunk out of their attendance numbers over the last dozen years. 3D is putting butts back in seats like nothing else they've done has. Similar change to how color affected the movies, IMO. It's not a fad, and it's not going away. quality will improve as more movies are shot in it, as Avatar was, instead of converted as Alice was. Like any other business, they follow the money. More profits on 3D movies = more 3D movies.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:33 AM   #7
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

First Name: Andy
Trading: (7)
HdM
ActionAndy will become famous soon enough

Well the main problem is that most of these movies aren't actually shot as 3d films. They're being retrofitted in post production. Avatar was intended to be a 3d movie and was shot with new 3d cameras. Clash of the Titans, Alice in Wonderland, etc--they're shot like any other film. Then someone on a computer forces them to be 3d.

But bottom line; yes, it's completely overdone. It has never once made a movie better for me. 2001: A Space Odyssey was made in 2d (in the sixties), still looks phenomenal, and is better than almost everything out coming out nowadays.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:45 AM   #8
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
I was thinking yesterday while watching How to train your dragon in 3D, I cannot help but feel that 3D is being over done. It's like the latest trend in film making and I feel like it is too much too soon.

I enjoy a 3D movie on occasion, though I will admit it gives me a headache and I have to take the glasses off a few times during the movie and close my eyes.

I feel like Hollywood is going to use this technology as a means to market crappy movies. This has not been the case with every 3D movie, but it has been the case with several (Alice in Wonderland, Spy Kids 3D, etc.)

Our HD technology is not even perfected yet and everyone seems balls to the wall with putting stuff in 3D.

<...snip...>

Hollywood needs to focus on new screenplays and fresh ideas and less 3D.

Thoughts?

Similar thoughts were expressed when movies went from silent to sound, that sound would be the downfall of the silent actors. They adapted a new acting style which was less mime and more natural. Movies survived.

When movies went from B&W to color some people predicted that color would allow movie makers to produce sheer crap and just dazzle you with the colors rather than substance and quality. They couldn't have been more wrong.

Television was predicted to be the death of movies on a number of occasions. This prediction has yet to come to be. Movies grew and became more than what they had been.

3D isn't the end of quality movies, rather, it's beginning of a new era for movie making. It's in it's infancy now and growing by leaps and bounds, you can't judge it this early on. Will it replace 2D movies? Hard to say. But it will, at the very least, supplement them. Your great grandparents or grandparents and partents watched these other technologies unfold, now you have a front seat to this one. Enjoy the show.

Those scripts that you feel sucked? Some of them still would have been green-lit if there was no 3D, not all of them were written specifically for 3D. There have always been crappy scripts. There will always be crappy scripts.

Quote:
My other concern is their are a few movies that are 3D that the kids will want when they come out. How will those transfer to our home TV?
They'll be flat, kind of 2D.

The spectacle won't be there, for the short term. In about 2 years there will be 3D home HDTVs and players available.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:50 AM   #9
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

The old 3D of the 70s and 80s went away b/c it sucked. I'm not sure if it's going to go away this time. I've yet to see a film in 3D nowadays b/c I'm not gonna pay ridiculous prices to get in. I'm just fine seeing it in 2D.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:53 AM   #10
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

It was cool in the 50's. Now, it's a gimmick.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:54 AM   #11
Darrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
The old 3D of the 70s and 80s went away b/c it sucked. I'm not sure if it's going to go away this time. I've yet to see a film in 3D nowadays b/c I'm not gonna pay ridiculous prices to get in. I'm just fine seeing it in 2D.
If you go to a Century theater, you can go to the first showing of the day for like $7. 3D included!
Old 03-29-2010, 10:57 AM   #12
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
The old 3D of the 70s and 80s went away b/c it sucked.
Oh come on, watching Jaws and Freddy Krueger both explode in 3D was soooooo cool man...

(then again, it could have been the booze we snuck into the theatre)
Old 03-29-2010, 10:59 AM   #13
yellowgoat

Way over done. Let's get HD perfected first.

3d gives me a headache anyway. So, I don't watch it any how.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:00 AM   #14
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

3D right now is a waste. There isn't enough 3D content to warrant buying a tv and blu-ray player in 3D. I wouldn't bother until there is more content and they start actually using 3D cameras.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:01 AM   #15
Tripp
Pepin Ho of the NorthWest

First Name: Tripp
Trading: (5)
Partagas
Tripp is on a distinguished road

3D is fantastic for movies like Avatar, that are intended from conception, and produced specifically to be in 3D. The problem comes up with movies like Alice In Wonderland, 3D effects were added as an afterthought, because it would add revenue. With Avatar, its there to enhance the experience, not as a gimmick.

also, IMHO, if you think its a gimmick, and haven't seen Avatar, 10 to 1 says it'll change your mind about 3D movies, so do yourself a favor and go see it.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:11 AM   #16
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp View Post

also, IMHO, if you think its a gimmick, and haven't seen Avatar, 10 to 1 says it'll change your mind about 3D movies, so do yourself a favor and go see it.
I'll take those odds. I think Avatar is the most overrated piece of crap I think I've seen since Ishtar. Effects don't lure me in anymore. It's good writing and acting that is the key. Niether of which we see often anymore.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:16 AM   #17
Jbailey
Brewcifer

First Name: Dave
Trading: (17)
Jbailey has disabled reputation

I've heard they are getting new tv's and video game systems ready for 3D games.
The idea seem zany and crazy but I'm with D on how it bugs my eyes. I don't see a lot of movies in 3D last one was avatar and I had to take my glasses off a few times.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:17 AM   #18
tx_tuff

I hate 3D! My kids, they love it! And of course most of the 3D movies are kid movies. I don't see this going away anytime soon, just seems to be more and more movies coming out in it and people eating this stuff up! By the way took the kids to see "How To Train Your Dragon" in 2D yesterday. But have a feeling we have to still take them to see it in 3D also.

As far as DVDs, all the 3D movies coming out now in 3D you can view in 2D or 3D with glass that come with the DVD. But its old school 3D with the different color lenses.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:17 AM   #19
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Our HD technology is not even perfected yet ...

And it never will be until the day it is retired.

It's a technology that has near limitless potential for improvement.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:23 AM   #20
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tim
Trading: (21)
HdM
St. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the rough

Overdone like burnt toast.

And, what annoys me even more, is that other folks are using it to market products that have nothing to do with 3D.

Last night I saw a commercial for 3D teeth whitening strips.
Give me an effen break!

Pretending to play golf since 1989
St. Lou Stu is offline   Reply With Quote