Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 09-05-2011, 09:14 PM   #21
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Trading: (0)
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation
Default Re: PC Games on Sale (RO:2, Deus:EX, Dead Island, CIV:5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari5180 View Post
That was a little uncalled for and rude might I add. I do own TF2 and have hats, including the Tripwire ones. However, you are right, I do not play TF2 because the game has lost focus and is nothing but a money making machine for valve with items. In fact, I think the game would do just fine with the name "Hat Fortress 2". There is also a typo in my last comment, one that I did not notice. I meant to say that devs usually make less off Steam as Valve takes a larger piece of the pie. I am not going to sit here and tell you what to do, but I just posted a link to make people on this website save and open doors to those who do not have a large disposable income.

Also, in case you wanted to know. If the game is 10$ cheaper elsewhere and not on Steam, its highly likely (not always though) that the website selling the game is taking the monetary loss unless its a dev/distributor promotion, rather than the developers to attract customers and whatnot. I hope you did buy the game, and also hope you enjoy the beta as much as I do.

For the rest of you fellow inmates, the deal is still up and enjoy! Thanks.
I'm not trying to be rude, just saying your offbase with your steam comments. Tripwire wouldn't even exist if it weren't for steam, the exposure valve gives to small devs to its large customer base more than makes up for its small take in the profits. They get access to a consumer base in the millions that they otherwise wouldn't be able to afford to advertise to. Even some non steam games benfit from valve, look at Minecraft. And the fact that they go above and beyond promoting certain games with tie ins and promos for other games is beyond what any other e retailer would do. There's a reason hardly any small dev complains about steam you know. Big companies have caught wind, what with EA and Origin and Gamestop and impulse. See if they even provide half the service valve does. All i'm saying, with games like RO, don't purchase it on sale if you can afford not to. Show some love to the smaller devs out there.

TF2 is the same it ever was. Just ignore the hats, it's annoying but the plethora of new items keep the game fresh. Who cares if valve is making money, the game out in 2007 and they are still supporting it. Who does that these days?
Old 09-06-2011, 04:50 AM   #22
Ferrari5180
Adjusting to the Life

Ferrari5180 is on a distinguished road

Yes, there is no doubt that Steam has been the best digital provider for many years, or they would not be the biggest digital distributor out there. They also tend to hold the best sales (usually) compared to other companies. However, as I have noticed frequently is that new games to come out are more highly priced on Steam than more other digital distributors. Makes me think that the extra pricetag it to suit their own financial needs. Understandable, but I still wouldn't pay the larger price if it were available for cheaper elsewhere, whether I had the money or not.
Ferrari5180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:18 PM   #23
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari5180 View Post
Yes, there is no doubt that Steam has been the best digital provider for many years, or they would not be the biggest digital distributor out there. They also tend to hold the best sales (usually) compared to other companies. However, as I have noticed frequently is that new games to come out are more highly priced on Steam than more other digital distributors. Makes me think that the extra pricetag it to suit their own financial needs. Understandable, but I still wouldn't pay the larger price if it were available for cheaper elsewhere, whether I had the money or not.
You don't think that maybe since steam is number one other companies hold sales to gain marketshare? I would imagine that is case and they usually compensate in other ways. They are pretty generous with content and tie in promos. I don't really think it's greed on Valves part, look what they are doing with EA/Origin.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:15 PM   #24
Ferrari5180
Adjusting to the Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty View Post
You don't think that maybe since steam is number one other companies hold sales to gain marketshare? I would imagine that is case and they usually compensate in other ways. They are pretty generous with content and tie in promos. I don't really think it's greed on Valves part, look what they are doing with EA/Origin.
Too each their own. I respect your opinion. I still think that Valve is best overall, but if you are low on cash, great deals are to be found elsewhere as well. Which brings me back to my main purpose of posting the great deals on GMG. Glad we had a chat.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:59 PM   #25
Ferrari5180
Adjusting to the Life

Hope everyone enjoyed the discounts. The super sale is about to end. It ends on Monday, September 12th, 2011. Here is the final discount code:

GREEN-MANGA-MING1

For those who bought, regardless of source of purchase, I would love to hear some reviews