Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 03-07-2010, 10:19 PM   #1
MTBAlex

Default My Father No.1

Newbie here trying to give a first review. Hopefully, it is informative.

Tonight I smoked a My Father No.1. I bought this cigar as it was rated as the number three cigar by Cigar Aficionado.

The cigar was beautifully built and smelled great. It had a barnyard smell, but pleasant and not overpowering. I stored this cigar in my humidor with 65% heartfelt beads.

Using my Xikar, I cut the cap around alittle pass the half way point. The pre-light draw was very good and easy.

I toasted the foot as recommended and then lit the sucker up. The cigar lit very easy and I was going in no time. The burn at first was uneven, but half an inch into it, the cigar started to burn evenly.

The ash was white and held on for 1.5 inches. Is this a sign of good construction?

The draw was full of smoke and seems perfect for this noob.

Taste wise, it didn't wow me. I felt that it wasn't very complex and was a one trick pony. It was smooth and leathery. It was a good smoke, just wasn't WOW. But take this with a grain of salt as I'm new, and my palate isn't as sophisticated as some of the vets.

Being a noob, I would've thought that this cigar might be a little strong for me as well. But I didn't feel it too much at the end of my smoke.

I have four more, and will let them rest for 6 months before trying them again.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:23 PM   #2
jaydub13
aka Little Pickle

First Name: Jason
Trading: (5)
Partagas
jaydub13 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My Father No.1

Great review! Thank you very much! I agree, this cigar is a bit of a one trick pony, but what a great trick, IMO. I really like it, in spite of the lack of complexity. Let me know how they are in 6 mos!
jaydub13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:32 PM   #3
MTBAlex

Default Re: My Father No.1

Thanks Jason for the word of encouragement!! I was a little nervous in posting the review. I'll add on in 6 months and let you know!
Going to have to get the camera and take pictures too.