Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 11-13-2012, 06:31 AM   #3581
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

What a BIG AZZ big, Jason! Wow! I bet it was tasty. I'm smoking a 12-14 pounder this coming weekend. It'll be my first. I'm going to brine it 12 hours prior to cooking. Can't wait.

Mark you used the ET732 yet? I've got one in my wish list on Amazon ready to go.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:43 PM   #3582
Old Sailor
Black Ops - S.O.B.

First Name: Dave
Trading: (22)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
Old Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really nice

I've got a ET732 and love it!
Old 11-15-2012, 06:39 PM   #3583
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

I finally got the Traeger repaired after my last failed attempt and my weak excuse for oven BBQ. The fan was blowing the fuses so I got it replaced. Since I bought the Traeger, I opted to go with the Ortech digital controller and have replaced the auger motor and fan since then because both were blowing fuses.

Going to try my luck and get 4 butts and 2 fatties on at the same time this weekend.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:21 PM   #3584
Old Sailor
Black Ops - S.O.B.

First Name: Dave
Trading: (22)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
Old Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really nice

Last Sunday did a 7lb brisket flat!

Old 11-16-2012, 11:19 AM   #3585
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

That looks killer Dave!
And there came a voice to him: “Rise, Peter; kill and eat.” Acts 10:13
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:28 PM   #3586
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post
Mark you used the ET732 yet? I've got one in my wish list on Amazon ready to go.
Sorry I haven't responded sooner Jamie. Only have used the ET732 once to date to smoke a couple of Tri-Tips on the Weber. The meat temp probe works great to monitor the internal temp of your meat, and its great using the remote receiver if you're in the kitchen or sitting next to the computer. For me, we're talking about a distance between 20' and 45' or so. So, this particular probe is a positive for me.

The surface temp probe I have some issue with. This is the probe you attach to the grill area next to your meat to monitor the surface temp throughout your cooking session. When the cooking temp reached the desired temp, I removed the lid to the Weber and placed my Tri-Tips on the grill, and then placed the lid back onto the Weber. The surface temp started to increase on the transmitter and was syncing properly with the receiver, but would all of a sudden default to "LLL." The booklet indicates that you should allow the probe to return to room temp and try again.

Now the "helpful hints" in the booklet indicates it could be due to 1) a bad connection with the transmitter, 2) the internal probe wire has shorted out due to moisture or heat damage. So, I'll be giving it another shot here shortly as I'll be smoking a 10-12lb Turkey on Thanksgiving. If the surface temp probe fails to function, I'll just revert to using my other gage I usually use and go from there.

New surface temp probes run about $11 and I believe I'm past the warranty date anyways. So, thats my take on the ET732 at this time. Some folks don't have any problems with them for the first good number of times they smoke meat, and others experience fail issues the first or second time out of the gate.

Like I mentioned before, the internal meat probe appears to be working just fine (at least for the time being)
Old 11-17-2012, 11:50 AM   #3587
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Gonna get 4 butts trimmed, injected, and rubbed shortly to put on tonight around 2am when I get home from work.

Once the butts come off, it'll be 3 fatties and a batch of ABT's. I'm going to make a little change in my ABT's this time around-I'm going to replace the smokies with a bit of pulled pork instead.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #3588
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Ok, got an 11.57 lb fresh Turkey that's just waiting to jump into my Weber early tomorrow morning. Looking forwards to the end results

Happy Thanksgiving to all of my fellow smokers...
Old 11-21-2012, 09:31 PM   #3589
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
[b][color=darkred] The surface temp started to increase on the transmitter and was syncing properly with the receiver, but would all of a sudden default to "LLL."
Same LLL error for me . That or the HHH error. I wish like hell that Thermoworks would develop a dual probe wireless thermometer for smokers. I'd pay $300 for it.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:38 AM   #3590
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)

T-bird jumped onto the Weber grill at 0815hrs

...Happy Thanksgiving to all my BOTL', SOTL', and our Troops serving overseas
Old 11-22-2012, 03:42 PM   #3591
deadrise
The Manhattan Project

First Name: Jason
Trading: (24)
Partagas
deadrise has a spectacular aura aboutdeadrise has a spectacular aura about

another good bird cooked for 9 hours in the smoker

Old 11-22-2012, 06:05 PM   #3592
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)

Nice looking bird Jason! This was my first attempt at smoking a Turkey and it didn't turn out too bad on the Weber. Didn't get any complaints

Old 11-23-2012, 07:15 AM   #3593
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

to all!
Old 12-04-2012, 10:26 AM   #3594
Scothew
CA Scott #2658

First Name: Scott
Trading: (5)
Partagas
Scothew will become famous soon enoughScothew will become famous soon enough

sup everyone, havent stopped in here in quite some time but figured I would say hi. I havent fired up the smoker in awhile but did this past weekend for the Bama / UGA game. brined 5 cornish hens overnight (salt, pepper, onion and garlic powders, rosemary, thyme, crushed red pepper, bay leaves, mustard seeds and coriander seeds) and then hickory smoked about 5 hours. Turned out fantastic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4985.jpg (105.3 KB, 339 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4986.jpg (113.1 KB, 358 views)

Bráithreachas Thar Gach Ní
Scothew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #3595
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Wow Scott, those look fantastic.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:06 PM   #3596
Robulous78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scothew View Post
sup everyone, havent stopped in here in quite some time but figured I would say hi. I havent fired up the smoker in awhile but did this past weekend for the Bama / UGA game. brined 5 cornish hens overnight (salt, pepper, onion and garlic powders, rosemary, thyme, crushed red pepper, bay leaves, mustard seeds and coriander seeds) and then hickory smoked about 5 hours. Turned out fantastic.

WOAH DUDE!!! Break me off a piece of that chicken...
Old 12-04-2012, 05:45 PM   #3597
Zane
Have My Own Room

First Name: Zane
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Zane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

Those look perfect!

COO BlindMan's Puff
Zane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:19 PM   #3598
markem
Bunion

Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
Turned out fantastic.
Oh my! I'm stealing your recipe so that when it dries out in Oregon (late June) then I can try to duplicate your delicious looking feat. Wow!
Old 12-08-2012, 09:03 AM   #3599
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Crap, I forgot Kroker had whole fryers onsale today, gotta go get 3-4 of those.
I put on my last frozen pork butt today along with some flanken cut rib meat strips.
Well, not REALLY, they are boneless strips of beef rib meat. Smoked em for an hour and
tossed them in the pot with some pintos I prepared like a gumbo, with a roux, anyway.
I usually use trimmings from St. Louis cuts in that dish, first time i tried it with Beef of any
kind. Should be great, though, smoky and beefy and delicious. The BUTT? Well that's
gonna take awhile. Gotta get up and get out to the sto.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:56 AM   #3600
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

3 birds in the freezer, I love a whole fryer....so many possibilities. 88 cents a pound is NO SALE, but at least its not a
total deal breaker. Foiled my butt before going to the store, it has been smoking for two hours, then in a few more hours,
take it out and let it slow cook til the coals are spent. One good thing about foil, I don't have to worry about just throwing
a bunch of little limb pieces on the fire and ruining the flavor of my butt. I put enough wood on there to get a nice heat
going. Rainy day, or it rained this morning and will threaten sprinkles all day. Might go smoke a cigar and bring some
newspaper to sit on. and watch the nuthatches and chickadees eat off the feeder. it might be miller time
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote