Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Health and Fitness

Old 06-29-2011, 06:15 PM   #1961
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Losing Weight with Starscream

Hmm, down to 227.8 now.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:00 PM   #1962
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
The first step is admitting you have a problem...
Posted via Mobile Device

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:55 PM   #1963
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

sounds yummy Bob!
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:32 PM   #1964
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I had no idea we had a health and fitness section. Huh.
I'm still hovering around 200, nothing new. I was having a lot of trouble with standing up and getting dizzy while iwas working, almost hit the dirt once.
I figured I better get some proper meals in me, so I have. I'm still packing on muscle from all the deck work, and it's going pretty well. Had to take a mid-work "go upstairs and lay down" cause my upper body was all stuck, but for the most part it's gone real well.
Now for a good night's sleep.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:09 PM   #1965
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I had no idea we had a health and fitness section. Huh.
I'm still hovering around 200, nothing new. I was having a lot of trouble with standing up and getting dizzy while iwas working, almost hit the dirt once.
I figured I better get some proper meals in me, so I have. I'm still packing on muscle from all the deck work, and it's going pretty well. Had to take a mid-work "go upstairs and lay down" cause my upper body was all stuck, but for the most part it's gone real well.
Now for a good night's sleep.
hope the dizzyness goes away, Scott. you may want to get that checked out.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:58 AM   #1966
goalie204
Have My Own Room

Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

im frustrated and confused, im sticking to what ive been doin, nothings changed, but in the last week ive gone up almost 4 lbs...if anything i've been eating less, so im just ..not getting this... fckkk
Old 06-30-2011, 06:04 AM   #1967
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Myles, what are you doing for exercise? I was reading an article recently that talked about hitting a plateau as far as exercising and changing up the routine.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:14 AM   #1968
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Myles, what are you doing for exercise? I was reading an article recently that talked about hitting a plateau as far as exercising and changing up the routine.
Same kind of thing can happen in the body. After a period of time, the body has been "programmed" to storing fat. Thus if you've been overweight for a lengthy period of time and begin losing weight, it's the body's mechanism of lowering its metabolic rate because it views it as a means of conserving energy. That's likely a good reason to be doing some weight training as it'll help boost the calories burned with a higher increase of total lean body weight compared to fat.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:02 AM   #1969
ashtonlady
The Lady is Here

First Name: Laura
Trading: (8)
Navy (Served With Honor)
ashtonlady will become famous soon enoughashtonlady will become famous soon enough

Finding out this week how important sleep is for weight loss. Not only does it mess with your metabolism but it also messes with your motivation to do it.
ashtonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:57 PM   #1970
goalie204
Have My Own Room

Bolivar

Bob: none, but i want to start doing some now that the weather is finally ince here, i want to walk and lift weights and do stuff
Old 06-30-2011, 07:36 PM   #1971
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

I tell you Myles, after just three days of doing the Power90 program, I"m already seeing results. Chest and arms are tightening up. The man-boobs are nearly gone and I actually have some definition in the biceps/triceps. My legs are sore as hell too. I almost took today off to let my calves rest but pushed through it and glad I did. They feel better now than before the workout. Worth looking into. I believe I got it on Amazon for under $80. Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/POWER-90-Horto...9484159&sr=8-1
Old 06-30-2011, 07:50 PM   #1972
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Just ordered the Bowflex 3.1 Utility Bench. Besides the exercises in the Power90 program, I want to do more dumbbell work, especially for the chest and back. Based on the reviews, it's a decent unit for the money and easy to use. This should help get me to my goal of some decent muscle mass/definition.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:54 PM   #1973
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
Same kind of thing can happen in the body. After a period of time, the body has been "programmed" to storing fat. Thus if you've been overweight for a lengthy period of time and begin losing weight, it's the body's mechanism of lowering its metabolic rate because it views it as a means of conserving energy. That's likely a good reason to be doing some weight training as it'll help boost the calories burned with a higher increase of total lean body weight compared to fat.
Also a good idea to have a "cheat" day just to confuse your body- and it gives you something to look forward to as well.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:59 PM   #1974
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Think I'm gonna schedule time into my day starting next week to do the plyometrics dvd out of the P90X series. That's my favorite workout by far, albeit it'll be ugly for me for a while. Just wanna focus on some cardio for awhile. It'll be interesting to see how it works out being on the Atkins induction at the moment though.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:48 PM   #1975
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
hope the dizzyness goes away, Scott. you may want to get that checked out.
I wasn't eating, Andy. It's all fixed. I just started eating a little more.

Myles, we have P90X, Insanity, and Asylum if you want to try any of that stuff. My Lisa is doing Insanity and on week three she's not getting sore anymore and it's not kicking her ass so bad. This is someone who's been at the gym or running every day for damn near her whole life. It'd kill me.
You can work up to whatever you can handle over a period of time, as long as you push really hard. So it's really something anyone can do, and all you need is a good pair of cross-trainers.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:36 AM   #1976
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Managed to maintain my weight on my night off for the 2nd straight week. The grilled haddock and broccoli for dinner last night probably helped, although I did sample some brownies my wife made.
Yesterday and today, instead of the hour of strength/yoga I tried last week, I did my usual half-hour of aerobics plus a half-hour of strength/yoga. I still managed to work up a nice sweat.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:54 AM   #1977
goalie204
Have My Own Room

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
Also a good idea to have a "cheat" day just to confuse your body- and it gives you something to look forward to as well.
I've heard this, but im scared it would be the beginning of the end, but i dont know anymore. I'd die right now if i tried any of those intensive exercise regimes, need to start slow
Old 07-01-2011, 06:24 AM   #1978
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
Think I'm gonna schedule time into my day starting next week to do the plyometrics dvd out of the P90X series. That's my favorite workout by far, albeit it'll be ugly for me for a while. Just wanna focus on some cardio for awhile. It'll be interesting to see how it works out being on the Atkins induction at the moment though.
I can't wait to get through this program so I can start on the P90x. Seems like everyone that does it says it's tough but feels a sense of accomplishment when they make it through. Same with Insanity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I wasn't eating, Andy. It's all fixed. I just started eating a little more.
Good to hear you're doing better Scott.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
Managed to maintain my weight on my night off for the 2nd straight week. The grilled haddock and broccoli for dinner last night probably helped, although I did sample some brownies my wife made.
Yesterday and today, instead of the hour of strength/yoga I tried last week, I did my usual half-hour of aerobics plus a half-hour of strength/yoga. I still managed to work up a nice sweat.
I'm finding I really like the yoga routine in the program I'm on. It's not a lot of moves but I work up a sweat just doing them for the 5 mins or so. Can't wait to see what a longer workout does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie204 View Post
I'd die right now if i tried any of those intensive exercise regimes, need to start slow
I've had the Power90 program sitting on my desk at home for two years. Took me that long to finally get up the gumption to start it. Now I"m glad i finally did. It's not really too difficult and all along the way they tell you to go at your own pace or hit pause if you need to. It's not about killing yourself at the beginning. As you get more fit, you'll be able to do more. If you're still not ready for it, just get a set of 5 or 10lb dumbbells and do some different curl exercises. You can do a number of them to work the arms, back, chest and shoulders.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:21 AM   #1979
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

I've never seen the P90 or Insanity DVDs but i have done 6 weeks of P90X. When you guys start just be sure to start slow, and be very attentive to what your body is telling you. These are great workouts, but they are very lacking in any type of instruction as far as how to correctly/safely do the workouts.

I've had problems with the disks in my lower back for the last 6 years, and I while doing Plyo I blew out those 2 disks and it's taken me almost 2 years to get back to where I was before then. I always worked out on Zebra mats so be especially careful if you are working out on a solid surface, or you haven't lifted weights in a while. There is great potential to do more harm than good if the routines are done with poor form.
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:22 AM   #1980
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Dropped three this week. No complaints- I realize I can't lose 50 lbs in a coupla weeks- alas!