Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Health and Fitness

Old 06-19-2011, 05:49 PM   #1801
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Losing Weight with Starscream

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
low blood sugar most likely.
Nope. See above
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:57 PM   #1802
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
This is called orthostatic hypotension. It gets more common as you get older (not saying you're old) and is a typical side effect of some medications, but it's just something you need to be leery of when standing up so you don't drop. My advice-stand up slowly and maybe have something to prop yourself up against momentarily while your blood pressure stabilizes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthostatic_hypotension
Thanks. I had a couple friends on FB who said the same thing. You guys are so smart.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:05 PM   #1803
forgop
Not a puffer

forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

I'm in a bind-trying to figure out what plan I want to do as my wife wants me to do weight watchers, but my gut tells me I should do the Atkins plan. After all, I love using my smoker as I could eat pulled pork and ribs all day long for lunch and dinner and deal with bacon and eggs for breakfast daily. My wife just hates it because it is that much harder to deal with different food plans if I do it.

I think I've decided I'll check with the nurse practitioner this week and see if she'll prescribe the phentermine for me and add that into whatever plan I have. One of the problems is just resisting the urge to eat as it's quite stressful going through school again. It will be primarily used as an appetite suppressant which is half of the battle.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:06 PM   #1804
forgop
Not a puffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Thanks. I had a couple friends on FB who said the same thing. You guys are so smart.
I might just be learning a thing or two in nursing school after 5 months of school after all.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:12 PM   #1805
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Here's a recipe for Chicken Pozole Verde. This made 3 servings. The sodium count is a little high, but you can mitigate that by making choosing low sodium versions of the salsa and chicken stock.

8oz chicken breast, cubed into 1" cubes
3oz onions, chopped
1 29oz can of hominy
10oz of tomatillo salsa
2 cloves garlic chopped
24oz chicken stock
3oz can of roasted green chiles
Cilantro chopped, to taste

Brown the chicken in a little bit of oil in a medium pot over med-high heat, about 5-6 minutes. You don't need to cook all the way through, it'll finish once you add the rest of the ingredients and continue cooking. About 2-3 minutes into cooking the chicken, add the onions garlic. Stir and continue browning. Once chicken has browned on all sides, add the rest of the ingredients except the cilantro. Bring to a low boil, turn down the heat, cover the pot and simmer for 30 minutes to let the flavors blend. Divide into three portions and garnish with the chopped cilantro (and a bit more raw chopped onion if you like). Maybe squeeze a little fresh lime over the top too. Enjoy.

Based on the info I could find online and off the packages I used, the nutritional info is as follows per serving.

310 cals, 3g fat, 0g sat fat, 0g trans fat, 48mg chol, 1373mg sodium, 44g carbs, 10g fiber, 5g sugar, 19g protein.
Keep on posting recipes! I love it! Wow! Great to see all the participation in here. Welcome to the new guys and keep up the good work all!

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:39 PM   #1806
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

saw this extreme makeover weight loss show last night or something, a dude lost 200 lbs in a year, killing himself working out like a mofo. Ridiculous to lose so much so fast, 5 bux he gains it all back
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:28 AM   #1807
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie204 View Post
saw this extreme makeover weight loss show last night or something, a dude lost 200 lbs in a year, killing himself working out like a mofo. Ridiculous to lose so much so fast, 5 bux he gains it all back
Not to mention he probably looks like a Sharpei...
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:42 AM   #1808
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
You ever watch "Heavy" on A&E? They go to rehab and lose all this weight, but when they get back home, most start to gain it back.

Insert quote here.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:30 PM   #1809
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Looking forward to tomorrow morning, I should be at a new low.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:35 PM   #1810
goalie204
Have My Own Room

Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

ya i've seen that show scott, after about 4 episodes (to give it a real chance) i'll never watch it again
Old 06-21-2011, 06:36 AM   #1811
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Trending down again for the last couple of days. Since I'm on a 7 day on / 1 day off schedule at work, I think I'm gonna start doing an hour of mixed strength/yoga on my day off.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-21-2011, 07:49 AM   #1812
goalie204
Have My Own Room

Bolivar

was reading that stretching is super good for you, and walking too, which is the only exercise that can improve your bone health (stretching does too) and bones are important! So i'm giong to start stretching every day the big muscles in the body and walking too sooN!
Old 06-21-2011, 08:09 AM   #1813
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
ya i've seen that show scott, after about 4 episodes (to give it a real chance) i'll never watch it again
That's about all I've watched of it too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
Trending down again for the last couple of days. Since I'm on a 7 day on / 1 day off schedule at work, I think I'm gonna start doing an hour of mixed strength/yoga on my day off.
Posted via Mobile Device
How's the yoga? Something I've always wanted to try, just never have (other than on Wii Fit).

Insert quote here.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:50 AM   #1814
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

Yoga is a deceptively hard workout. The first couple times I tried it (dvd's) I quit after 20 minutes because it was was slow and kinda boring, and I didn't feel like I was working out, despite the fact that I was sweating like a mofo. Later I decided to be a little more open minded about it and give it a fair shake and found that in 45 minutes I was soaking wet, and a lot looser, and really refreshed.
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:54 PM   #1815
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
How's the yoga? Something I've always wanted to try, just never have (other than on Wii Fit).
That's all I've done. I do a WFP warm-up that includes warrior pose (good hip stretch) and downward-facing dog (back). For cool down, I usually include sun salutation (another good back stretch). I usually have a sore back from work, and the two back stretches (and Ibuprofen) have really helped.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-21-2011, 05:27 PM   #1816
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Quan View Post
Yoga is a deceptively hard workout. The first couple times I tried it (dvd's) I quit after 20 minutes because it was was slow and kinda boring, and I didn't feel like I was working out, despite the fact that I was sweating like a mofo. Later I decided to be a little more open minded about it and give it a fair shake and found that in 45 minutes I was soaking wet, and a lot looser, and really refreshed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
That's all I've done. I do a WFP warm-up that includes warrior pose (good hip stretch) and downward-facing dog (back). For cool down, I usually include sun salutation (another good back stretch). I usually have a sore back from work, and the two back stretches (and Ibuprofen) have really helped.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the info, Derrick and Jeff.

Insert quote here.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:24 PM   #1817
forgop
Not a puffer

I tried the yoga on P90X. It sucked. You have to be in pretty decent shape with good mobility to begin with. If you're fighting a spare tire of sorts at all around the trunk, it's a waste of time IMO.

Think I might give Insanity a try...
Old 06-22-2011, 05:00 AM   #1818
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

Morning Fellas

So I'm about a week into my lower carb lifestyle.
I have some issues/ questions/ observations I could use some help with.

1) My energy level is way up. So much so that I can't sleep at night.
since I work so many hours, sleep is at a real premium for me.
I used to jump out of bed in the AM and crash at night, now its opposite.
I can't sleep and find it harder to get going, but once I do, I feel better throughout the day than before.

2) I am having a hard time eating enough of calories.
So far I haven't made it to 2000 in a day. closest I came was day 1 (1948)
But usually am around the 1600 - 1700 mark. My low was 1444
The App I have says my goal intake should be 2150 - 2500
I'm trying to lay off fatty foods, but now I'm worried about my metabolism shutting down.
Suggestions?

3) I noticed that the fat on my body has gotten soft and mushy.
Before my belly was taught from my tits to my belly button, as were my love handles.
Now I'm just mush.
Any Ideas? Should this physical change be something to worry about?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-22-2011, 05:25 AM   #1819
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonumberone View Post
Before my belly was taught from my tits to my belly button, as were my love handles.
Now I'm just mush.
I have the same thing going on. I think it's just a matter of burning off fat quicker than your skin can adjust...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-22-2011, 06:18 AM   #1820
goalie204
Have My Own Room

Bolivar

Quote:
Morning Fellas

1) My energy level is way up. So much so that I can't sleep at night.
since I work so many hours, sleep is at a real premium for me.
I used to jump out of bed in the AM and crash at night, now its opposite.
I can't sleep and find it harder to get going, but once I do, I feel better throughout the day than before.
happened to me too for the first week or so, it will pass, try not eating 3-4 hours before bed if you aren't doing that already

Quote:

2) I am having a hard time eating enough of calories.
So far I haven't made it to 2000 in a day. closest I came was day 1 (1948)
But usually am around the 1600 - 1700 mark. My low was 1444
The App I have says my goal intake should be 2150 - 2500
I'm trying to lay off fatty foods, but now I'm worried about my metabolism shutting down.
Suggestions?
nevermind your app, as long as you eat until you're not hungry anymore, that is good - your body knows. However you dont have to lay off fatty foods, chicken with the crispy skin, bacon, this stuff is all good on a low carb lifestyle

Quote:
Now I'm just mush.

Thanks in advance!
You're probably losing fat, and the "mushy" is skin Nothing to worry about at all, losing weight fast doesn't give your body time to "tone" as it loses weight

hope this helps