Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 08-18-2016, 10:02 PM   #1
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future
Default Guitar Players??

I have had a guitar for years and started playing it awhile back, kind of self taught a little bit and then quit playing, one of the new guys on my detective squad is an avid player and only lives a mile from me so I talked him into some lessons, had my first one tonight and my fingers hurt, need to develop some caluses again
Old 08-19-2016, 06:01 AM   #2
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of
Default Re: Guitar Players??

I have a couple guitars in the back room, but I haven't played in years. Part of me really wishes it was more of a passion for me, but unfortunately at this point in my life, it isn't.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:55 AM   #3
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

I've been "playing" for 32 years. I have no natural musical ability. I'm pretty much tone deaf. Everything I've learned has been out of sheer stubbornness and persistence. But I play for relaxation and for the sheer joy of making some noise.

I've got two guitars, a Gibson Les Paul Mahogany that I've had since 2006, and a PRS SE Mikael Akerfeldt model that my wife got for me as a present when I retired from the USAF in 2012.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:23 AM   #4
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough

I'm a long-time player, but severely out of practice.

Once you get those calluses built up, they'll stick around.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:44 AM   #5
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Double G (Greg Gainey) is a guitar player.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:09 PM   #6
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
Double G (Greg Gainey) is a guitar player.
Thanks for thinking so Ferdie. I am of questionable talent but what talent I have is God given. Been plinking at it since I was about 13 which makes that 38 years. I love to play but like Steve I just can't hardly find the time anymore.

Her is a couple of my best that is recorded:

This one is on facebook and I tend to sing this at funerals pretty regular:
https://www.facebook.com/greg.gainey...489915/?type=3

Here is one of me playing along with an old Merle Haggard tune:
https://www.facebook.com/greg.gainey...232945/?type=3

Here is another brief one of a Merle Haggard tune:
https://www.facebook.com/greg.gainey...559979/?type=3
https://youtu.be/-NBDbdpw50Y

This one aint no guitar playing but one of my proudest moments. My Mama died on November 2, 2012. She had insisted that her funeral not be a cry fest. I was able (by the grace of God) to do all the music. This isn't my greatest vocal performance ever but in the circumstances it wasn't bad maybe.
https://youtu.be/amYwQ5iyZeU

Here is a song that i wrote. I have only written this one song and one other in my life. My grandmother died in 1991, and my grandfather died in 1994. He died early in the morning like around 2 am. when I got home from the hospital around daylight I wrote this song in about 20 minutes. The first one is me doing three tracks of guitar and the vocals. The second one is a studio cut of the same song with me doing none of the music:
https://youtu.be/B4DJx1TnmN8

https://youtu.be/yZh6ZrR3k3M
I share this one for all the soldiers in the world:
https://youtu.be/JX7qnCRGQOg

This is one that I recorded when my Mama was sick from cancer. She died A little less than a year after this was recorded:
https://youtu.be/RB-Q9h-Rp6w

Anyhow that's me, and sorry to overload the thread with this but felt like sharing it.

I did have the privilege of playing backup to Steve's dad once while he played the dulcimer and that was a great deal.

Last edited by G G; 08-19-2016 at 04:21 PM.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 04:16 PM   #7
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

That was a fun evening...Dad had a blast

Last edited by Steve; 08-20-2016 at 04:25 PM.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 04:25 PM   #8
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

Old 08-20-2016, 06:52 PM   #9
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
That was a fun evening...Dad had a blast

i believe a good time was had by all my friend.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote