Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 11-07-2013, 09:42 AM   #21
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation
Default Re: Most overrated cigar you've ever smoked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
I have a God of Fire that has been down for a few years, hoping it is hype worthy
When I used to be really into NCs, it was one of my favorites.
I have gone back and tried some former "NC favorites" with bad luck over the last year or two.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #22
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

I may need to spark it up
Old 11-07-2013, 09:48 AM   #23
Dude Here
I'm the Dude...Man!

First Name: Steve
Trading: (3)
Army (Served With Honor)
Dude Here will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by garryyjr View Post
I had a God of Fire I hung on to for a couple of months, waiting for a good day to smoke it. I decided to break it out while at my fathers house, first time we smoked together.

Just a BLAH kinda smoke.. was no impressed. I wanted to toss it, but it wasn't bad, just way under.... taste.

It was gifted to me. I do not see the 25-29 dollar price tag for how it was. I am glad I didn't pay for it.
I actually won a single off of C Bid a few years ago and was pretty damn excited for it. Well, I tossed it into the humidor and just kinda forgot about it for a while. Finally, my birthday rolled around and I remembered that I had it buried. So I get my smoking area all set up, drink poured, good book in hand. I sit down and open up the tube to find it completely encased in mold. Noooooooooo!
Dude Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #24
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude Here View Post
I actually won a single off of C Bid a few years ago and was pretty damn excited for it. Well, I tossed it into the humidor and just kinda forgot about it for a while. Finally, my birthday rolled around and I remembered that I had it buried. So I get my smoking area all set up, drink poured, good book in hand. I sit down and open up the tube to find it completely encased in mold. Noooooooooo!
That sucks!!
Old 11-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #25
eber
Have My Own Room

First Name: Erik
Trading: (7)
Bolivar
eber will become famous soon enough

Opus X for me too, I remember finally finding them at a local B&M and was so excited to smoke it unfortunately it was just really disappointing, bad burn, not-so-great taste. Definitely not worth the price.
eber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #26
Dude Here
I'm the Dude...Man!

Army (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eber View Post
Opus X for me too, I remember finally finding them at a local B&M and was so excited to smoke it unfortunately it was just really disappointing, bad burn, not-so-great taste. Definitely not worth the price.
One of my local shops has a box of Opus (don't know which size, not really big) that's been there for well over a months now. In fact they've actually marked down the price on them just to clear shelf space. I asked the owner what the deal with that was and he said that they just aren't moving like they used to. Too many equally good (or better) sticks out there for half the price. The Opus will always have a special place in my heart though was it was the first cigar I ever smoked.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #27
ZachF88
Feeling at Home

First Name: Zach
Trading: (32)
ZachF88 is on a distinguished road

Opus X for me as well.

The papas fritas were great ROTT, but they really mellowed out after a few months.
ZachF88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:25 AM   #28
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Opus X and any cuban I've tried. Boring and one dimensional
Old 11-08-2013, 04:01 AM   #29
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by maninblack View Post
Opus X and any cuban I've tried. Boring and one dimensional
Kevin...you sure we weren't separated at birth?
Old 11-08-2013, 05:18 AM   #30
MrClean
Bald Man

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (28)
Montecristo
MrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Kevin...you sure we weren't separated at birth?
That's a disturbing thought.........and highly possible
Old 11-08-2013, 08:24 AM   #31
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by maninblack View Post
any cuban I've tried. Boring and one dimensional
My exact thought on 98% of non-Cubans I've tried, Kevin! I guess we are Bizarro-twins seperated at birth!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #32
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

A note on the opus. I used to agree with you guys 100%, then earlier this summer I ran across a really really old one. It was very unique, and very multi-dimensional. I could only imagine how much these ORish ones cost these days, and I doubt I would ever pay that premium, but it did establish a very small amount of respect for the brand in my eyes. That being said, a fresh one? I'd rather have a half corona
Old 11-08-2013, 10:24 AM   #33
Hippi3Slay3r
ಥ_ಥ

First Name: Kyle
Trading: (22)
Bolivar
Hippi3Slay3r will become famous soon enoughHippi3Slay3r will become famous soon enough

I understand the Opus frustration the wrappers seem to be fire proof but after 4-5 years mine have turned into some amazing smokes and I was lucky to be gifted one from 2000 and it was amazing prolly my number 3-4 smoke of all time.

For me my most overrated smoke is most if not all viaje cigars the only one id kill to smoke again was the OR holiday blend the rest have not been kind to me esp the Satori, or as I like to think of it as the dog turd rolled in burnt hair
Old 11-08-2013, 11:00 AM   #34
Sweet_Leaf_PDX
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jason
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Sweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enoughSweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enough

I've been disappointed by many cigars over the years. Like many have said the Opus X is one that gets a lot of hype and press, but I have never had one that really impressed me.
Sweet_Leaf_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:00 AM   #35
Dude Here
I'm the Dude...Man!

Army (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippi3Slay3r View Post
I understand the Opus frustration the wrappers seem to be fire proof but after 4-5 years mine have turned into some amazing smokes and I was lucky to be gifted one from 2000 and it was amazing prolly my number 3-4 smoke of all time.

For me my most overrated smoke is most if not all viaje cigars the only one id kill to smoke again was the OR holiday blend the rest have not been kind to me esp the Satori, or as I like to think of it as the dog turd rolled in burnt hair
Hahaha, dog turd rolled in burnt hair. That's great.

Not trying to beat a dead horse with the Opus stuff but I've got three I'm sitting on right now that have at least 5 years of humi time each. They're all from a 2006 batch. Hmmmmm, I may have to fire one up in the next couple days to see how it's aged.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #36
Dude Here
I'm the Dude...Man!

Army (Served With Honor)

Well, after last nights cigar I'm gonna add the Undercrown onto my list.

It burned beautifully and smoked like a locomotive at full speed, but the flavors just weren't there. Very full bodied but all I got was earth and the very rare caramel note. One draw at the 1st to 2/3 transition gave me some nuts and leather but that was it. Pretty one dimensional smoke overall.

That was the corona viva size. I've got a robusto that I'm probably gonna sit on for a long time to see if that helps balance out the earthy flavor.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #37
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

Recent OpusX production for me as well. I remember these being much better back about 10 to 13 years ago. Something about them has changed, or maybe my tastes have changed, I don't know. And, I have to second the comments on the Undercrown and anything by Rocky Patel. Never liked those two very much. Also, just about anything by Perdomo. Never liked any of their cigars, even when they were first introduced.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:54 PM   #38
bruceolee
King of Rants

First Name: Jason
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
bruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the rough

Gonna have to go with the majority and easiest mark so far and that it is Opus X. I really enjoy much of the Fuente line but Opus for the price is the biggest ripoff in the industry. Give me an Anny 64' any day of the week and even at Opus prices a Padron Anny 64' is still worth it imho. Now of course taste is entirely subjective and if you've found an Opus that you love and think is worth the price then God bless you and keep on buying!
Old 11-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #39
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
Most overrated that I have personally smoked are:

Padron Anny Serie (all) good smokes just thought that they would be EPIC based on the hype.

Opus X..again good smoke but not a mind blower for what the hype is about.

Hyperbole....it's the best thing ever!!!!
Exactly what I was going to say. I would also add Liga Privada Undercrown and pretty much anything by Rocky Patel (except the first batch of Decades, those were awesome).
Old 11-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #40
reflex
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (26)
reflex is on a distinguished road

Any cigar named after cuts of meat, flying animals, of in toy boxes covers it for me
reflex is offline   Reply With Quote