Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 05-29-2016, 01:10 PM   #21
alfredo_buscatti
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
alfredo_buscatti is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Liga Privadas selling for almost $20

Cigars are a treat given their price tag, I'm careful about what I buy and only buy from auctions sites, and then only if I can save at least $20.00 less than buying them at discount. Although my choices are limited by what the site offers, I always win on price. I also like to smoke up, which I can afford by smoking less.

I've only smoked one LP #9, I loved it.

Well-blended high-quality tobacco costs money, both in the fields and in the barn. By the time the tobacco reaches the rolling bench, many hands have cared for it. If it has been aged four years, as in the Pardon '64, more hands are involved. Rotating it in the tiers in the aging barn, from the cooler lower shelves at the bottom to the higher hotter shelves at the top for the aging years, is labor, at cost.

The growing and manipulating of tobacco through pressure and heat borders on alchemy, and smokers are indebted to the centuries of skill that have produced what we enjoy today.

Last edited by alfredo_buscatti; 05-29-2016 at 01:12 PM. Reason: polishing prose
alfredo_buscatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:51 AM   #22
dave
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouchoM View Post
Somebody please enlighten me to why it cost so much? $18.50 per stick before taxes.
Only you can decide if a cigar is worth a certain price....to YOU. Try one. As to why it costs so much....well, it isn't a whole lot different than most other consumer commodities. Supply and demand, of course. Also, materials, production and marketing costs. Even (most of) the LP haters will acknowledge that the brand sources superior tobacco and employs very strict production and QC. That costs money. They cost more to make; they are in great demand; and there is a strong market for them at their price point. Cigars tastes are extremely personal. There's LOTS of cigar smokers who would NEVER get their money's worth from an $18 cigar. There's plenty that will.
I will tell you that two of the best cigars I've ever smoked were LP's. I'll also tell you there there were LP's that I enjoyed not one bit. In fact, there's an LPT52 toro in each category!
I also try to keep in mind that price has a fairly strong impact on my impressions...even my enjoyment of a cigar. I hold a $15 cigar to a very different standard than a $3 cigar. I have had crappy $15 cigars that I might have been perfectly happy if I'd paid $5 for them.
Buy one. Don't put it away for a special occasion that may never come. Smoke it. But smoke it when you have a chance to contemplate it a bit....and let us know if YOU thought it was worth it
Old 06-02-2016, 09:15 AM   #23
Twotacotuesday
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Chase
Trading: (1)
Cohiba
Twotacotuesday is on a distinguished road

I wondered the same thing when I started out smoking cheap boxes from a site. I asked myself what the difference could possibly be. Then I smoked my first Padron 3000 maduro amd immediately understood. Just try one.
Twotacotuesday is offline   Reply With Quote