Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 02-09-2013, 11:39 PM   #21
jjefrey
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (1)
jjefrey has disabled reputation
Default Re: First trip to the smoke shop, Hpw did I do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnframe View Post
My buddy took all but one to his house to put in his humidor
Don't tell me you fell for this, oldest trick in the book.
jjefrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:57 AM   #22
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
...The second best advice I can give is don't let someone else tell you what you should think of a cigar. Take recommendations based on flavor profiles, strengths, and bodies that you enjoy. But things I enjoy you may find to taste dull and vice versa.

Bottom line: smoke what you like and like what you smoke. And welcome to the BOTL...it's a heck of an enjoyable hobby.
This!
Old 02-10-2013, 05:05 AM   #23
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Thanks guys! I was told if I joined here that this place if full of the coolest, helpful people around and I have to say he was right! I do have a dumb question, My buddy took all but one to his house to put in his humidor,But how long will one last in the wrapper till it starts to go bad?
Keep it in a ziplock bag, but don't wait too long before you smoke it. Some people, I've read, keep their sticks at 55%rh, so I don't think they're that fragile.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:10 AM   #24
Bondo 287
Runaway Train

First Name: Mikael
Trading: (0)
Cohiba
Bondo 287 will become famous soon enough

Hey Dragon, possibly soon you'll need to make a "Tupperdor "?

Last edited by Bondo 287; 02-10-2013 at 06:18 AM.
Bondo 287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:17 AM   #25
dragnframe
Still Watching My Back

dragnframe is on a distinguished road

OK, well sounds like I need to make time today to do my first toasting!
dragnframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:22 AM   #26
Bondo 287
Runaway Train

First Name: Mikael
Cohiba
Bondo 287 will become famous soon enough

The Baccarai I just had one last week. Will be a smooth smoke with some light cream and spice if you are fortunate enough to detect it yet..

I was at a smoke shop type place with a glass-cabinet type humidor but I left empty-handed because it smelt like a moldy basement inside the case.
Some of the cigars were spongy too.
Was going to tell them but from what I read, usually they don't like free advice so screw it.
Bondo 287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #27
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo 287 View Post
I was at a smoke shop type place with a glass-cabinet type humidor but I left empty-handed because it smelt like a moldy basement inside the case.
Some of the cigars were spongy too.
Was going to tell them but from what I read, usually they don't like free advice so screw it.

You never know until you try.

Many years ago I ran across a similar situation, their walk in was fine but they also had an overly humidified cabinet of cigars, some of the ones in tubes were even growing mold. So I pointed it out to the owner. She thanked me, mentioned that because she didn't really smoke cigars (she was a pipe smoker), that it was one of her employees jobs to take care of that humidor and apparently, they weren't and she would take care of it. She also only charged me for half the cigars I tried to buy that day.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #28
dragnframe
Still Watching My Back

Well, I just returned from puffing on my first cigar. I toasted the RYJ and did some small things around the garage. I am happy with that one so far. I dont think it will be my fav one,but one I will deff buy again and keep in the humidor. It was pretty smooth and not to strong. Now mind you this is my first cigar that I tried out of the ones I bought so that description my not be toatlly accuarte. I also purchased my humidor last night and shoud be here in a week. I think I may be just getting started with this I really enjoyed it.

Thanks.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #29
Sadden
Its only money...

First Name: Colin
Cohiba
Sadden will become famous soon enough

The RYJ is a great start. Little strength and mild flavored.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:51 PM   #30
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Quote:
Well, I just returned from puffing on my first cigar. I toasted the RYJ and did some small things around the garage. I am happy with that one so far. I don't think it will be my fav one,but one I will deff buy again and keep in the humidor. It was pretty smooth and not to strong. Now mind you this is my first cigar that I tried out of the ones I bought so that description my not be totally accurate. I also purchased my humidor last night and should be here in a week. I think I may be just getting started with this I really enjoyed it.

Thanks.
What I might recommend now is to read a review of that stick and see how that description compares to what you experienced. Before too long it'll all make sense.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #31
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

There are also a lot of things you can do while smoking to make it more enjoyable, besides sex with a super model, things like only taking a puff ever so often, give a minute between puffs if not more, this way the cigar doesn't get too hot and change the flavor profile, things like that. Lots of articles on the interwebs about things like that, it's actually a fun hobby if you are into learning all the different angles and techniques, not only of smoking but storing, aging, etc,. etc.

Welcome to the slope!
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #32
papajohn67
Reprobate From The 101st

Trading: (62)
papajohn67 is just really nicepapajohn67 is just really nicepapajohn67 is just really nicepapajohn67 is just really nice

!st trip to a B&M + your 1st cigar......busted my cigar cherry 46 years ago. Enjoy the ride.!!
papajohn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #33
dragnframe
Still Watching My Back

Thanks guys. Dumb question. If say I busy doing something is it bad to let the cigar go out? By bad I mean does the flavor go bad or change anything if I have to relight it? Also do I need to re toast it when I relight it?
Old 02-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #34
T.G
Grrrrrr

Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Thanks guys. Dumb question. If say I busy doing something is it bad to let the cigar go out? By bad I mean does the flavor go bad or change anything if I have to relight it? Also do I need to re toast it when I relight it?

Are we talking a few minutes, a few hours or a few days?

minutes - nah.
hour or two - maybe but hard to detect
Days - ickypoo.

If you are setting the cigar down and you know it will be a bit before you can get back to it, gently blow out through the cigar before setting it down to expunge all the gasses and that will help lessen the impact on the flavor.

When you go to relight, knock all the ash off, blow out through the cigar again, then toast and relight as necessary.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:13 PM   #35
RobR1205
Starting a new chapter

First Name: Rob
Trading: (19)
HUpmann Army (Disabled Vet)
RobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura about

Looks like a good haul to me!
RobR1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #36
dragnframe
Still Watching My Back

T.G. Thanks that makes sence. I was just talk like you set it down to do something or what not and 5 mins go by and its out. I figuared the longer it sat the better the chance of comeing back to a stale cigar.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #37
Jefft72
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (2)
Jefft72 is on a distinguished road

Good advice Adam. I will have that happen regularly to my smokes. I sit it down to take a phone call or answer an email and when I pick it up again it has gone out. No worries. It lights back up and tastes fine.

One thing that I have to concentrate on sometimes is slowing down while smoking. Especially if I am near the end I find that smoking it too fast will cause it burn hot and the taste will be affected. Plus, that end will usually get to me if I smoke it too fast and get that nic hit a bit too hard.

Welcome to the fun!
Jefft72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #38
papajohn67
Reprobate From The 101st

Trading: (62)
papajohn67 is just really nicepapajohn67 is just really nicepapajohn67 is just really nicepapajohn67 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Are we talking a few minutes, a few hours or a few days?

minutes - nah.
hour or two - maybe but hard to detect
Days - ickypoo.

If you are setting the cigar down and you know it will be a bit before you can get back to it, gently blow out through the cigar before setting it down to expunge all the gasses and that will help lessen the impact on the flavor.

When you go to relight, knock all the ash off, blow out through the cigar again, then toast and relight as necessary.
"Days-ickypoo"......cracks me up. What's wrong with a cigar with a little age on it. Now cigar savoring and good smoking has it's place but also I'm an old buzzard who will fire back up just about anything that has been sitting in the shop ashtray. Their is smoking a good cigar and then again just smoking.

Anyone else care to fess up.
papajohn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #39
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

I'm the same way Papajohn. I'll put out a cigar when I get to work and light it back up 12 hours later. Doesn't taste near as good but it helps me unwind on the ride home.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:11 AM   #40
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

I don't make a habit of it, but I'm guilty at times as well.
Like you said, sometimes it's savory, sometimes, it's just smoke.