Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 06-20-2011, 11:16 PM   #21
scottdurand
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Scott
Trading: (0)
scottdurand is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Gurkha Love Hate Relationships

I've had a few of the, I thought the Ninja was decent. The problem I had was not isolated to Gurkha, but I found there were much better smokes at the same price available to me.
scottdurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:19 PM   #22
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Somebody ask massphatness and The Dakotan if they like the Gurkha Viper.

I've had a couple I actually liked. Far more that I didn't. Probably will never smoke another, voluntarily.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:22 PM   #23
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
Somebody ask massphatness and The Dakotan if they like the Gurkha Viper.

I remember my first puff from a Gurkha Legend, Greg.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:25 PM   #24
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

If you look close, you see me on your shoulder.

I saw/heard when you started hacking up a lung and I walked over. Wish I didn't because that thing did taste very, very bad.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:29 PM   #25
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
If you look close, you see me on your shoulder.

I saw/heard when you started hacking up a lung and I walked over. Wish I didn't because that thing did taste very, very bad.
I see you....yup, you shoulda stayed where you were.

Thank Goodness Coach had that bottle of vokda ready and waiting!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 06-20-2011, 11:39 PM   #26
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

For me, and I've never smoked one, but the MSRP's to cost obtainable on Cbid or whatever is ridiculously insane.

The Titan or whatever is like a $30 MSRP smoke, yet on cbid you get them for $3-$4. Somethings fishy there.......You know Cbids profiting too....

Also the over the top boxes......I mean it seems obvious where they spent the money eh?

That and the look on the admirals face.....No thanks.

The bands also look stupid to me, I guess that isn't a big deal, but they look really dumb.

For the final nail in the coffin, Gurkha His Majestys reserve....it's a $700 MSRP cognac infused acid and they market it as the best cigar in the world. The masses agree it's barely smokable. So obviously they are lying to you, and me. No reason to give them my money.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:08 AM   #27
docdoty
Cigars & Guns...what else

First Name: Justin
Trading: (8)
RA AirForce
docdoty is on a distinguished road

Not worth the money....the flavor is ok on some but they are way too inconsistent and have burn and draw issues...I have even smoked the 45 and 90 dollar ones the owner sent me to try and I didn't like them at all...that is IMHO though
Old 06-21-2011, 12:38 AM   #28
AlohaStyle
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (40)
AlohaStyle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
I have a lot of Gurkha's in my humidor. I like them. For the price, they offer a great flavor. People can claim their marketing strategies are false, but whatever, the price is right and the taste is good. Smoke what you like they say, I agree 100%. but don't hate on something without trying it just because of how they market their product.

My favorites are the Regent, Legend, Beast, and Centurian.
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...121498829.html

Why tell people what to think? Do you like that they send a box of cigars to the Navy and then create their own "press release" that the Nayy SEAL Team 6 celebrates with Gurkha? I agree that people should smoke what they like, but why tell someone they can/cannot like a company for their business practices, especially taking advantage of the name of popular military personnel? Nice frickin' headline trying to make people think they actually celebrated with these cigars when the reading actually admits they just sent the cigars to the Navy, not that they actually smoked them. They just want the headline to imply they did. Read that crap they write about being the Rolls Royce of cigars... LOL!

I've seen other "press releases" where they try and claim to be the best yada, yada. For me, I stay away because I didn't like the ones I've tried once I actually started smoking good cigars, plus it's too hard to keep track of what they actually make.

Here's what it says:

SEAL Team 6 Celebrates With Gurkha Cigar

GURKHA CIGARS SPECIAL OPERATIONS BOX The Gurkha Cigar Special Operations Box, includes 20 cigars, a knife and a challenge coin; inspired by the Navy SEALs. (PRNewsFoto/Gurkha Cigars) MIAMI, FL UNITED STATES

MIAMI, May 9, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Heading the week after a successful mission by the Special Operations Team known as the Navy SEALs, the team celebrates with a handmade luxury cigar. The military is known quite well through the premium cigar market as many cigar manufacturers support our troops overseas with product, sponsorship and encouragement. If you open any Cigar Magazine, you will note photos of our troops celebrating with a premium cigar, hoping to relax with a taste of comfort in a sometimes very uncomfortable place.

(Photo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20110509/CG97634 )

Gurkha Cigars, having a longstanding relationship with the Special Operations segments of our military released a SpecOps limited edition cigar last year, inspired by the Navy SEALs. The box of 20 sticks includes a knife and a challenge coin designed specifically for the military. Instead of a traditional cigar box, the package used is a pelican case, similar to those designed by the military to transport sensitive equipment and weapons. In this case, the fragile contents are a collection of the Gurkha Assassin, a trademarked rarity used by Gurkha Cigars for several years now. Only recently in Pakistan has the light come to shine on what the military ordinarily does quietly.

So what does SpecOps Team 6 celebrate with? A Gurkha Grand Reserve sent specially by Kaizad Hansotia, owner of Gurkha Cigars to his friends in the Navy. Gurkha has been known more recently as the world's most expensive cigar, releasing the Black Dragon in 2007. Gurkha has the premium cigar market redefined from their $20,000 boxes of 'HMRs' to their special collector's edition that demands over $150,000 for a box of cigars.

Now seen as a status symbol of luxury and the Rolls Royce of cigars, Gurkha continues to be the choice when a celebration in necessary. "Our focus has always been on exclusive, limited availability tobaccos, serving up the most unique and flavorful blends," said Hansotia, affectionately known in the industry as 'Kaizer.'

"When you are smoking a Gurkha you know three things: it's expensive, it's good, and a celebration is in order," said Hansotia. The Gurkha brand has a long history in exclusive trade and in support of the military. Originating in India as British settlers opened trade routes; the name continues the tradition of rarities from distant lands in support of ancient warriors and today is no different. Focusing specifically on the limited and exclusive lots of cigar tobacco has caused Gurkha's reputation to rise from a long history of premium cigars.

About Gurkha:

Gurkha Cigars is one of the most famous brands of luxury cigars in the world. Gurkha is known for limited release and rare tobacco products and the line is available at cigar retailers worldwide. With its extraordinary quality and premium blends of tobacco, Gurkha's cigar brands include the Grand Reserve, Elegance and Shaggy. Created in 1989 and based in Miami, Florida the Gurkha brand is wholly owned by the Beach Cigar Group Inc, privately held and led by President, Kaizad (Kaizer) Hansotia.

SOURCE Gurkha Cigars
AlohaStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:50 AM   #29
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
the Rolls Royce of cigars

Old 06-21-2011, 08:18 AM   #30
lilwing88

I like some Gurkhas. The Evil, the Shaggy, and the Black Dragon are all very solid.

I just don't like that there's about 200 different blends of The Legend. Or is that just a band they put on every cigar when they run out of bands?
Old 06-21-2011, 08:28 AM   #31
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Quote:
I've had a couple I actually liked. Far more that I didn't. Probably will never smoke another, voluntarily.
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:46 AM   #32
Green Lantern
of Sector 2814

First Name: Alex
Trinidad
Green Lantern is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallbright View Post
Thank you for all the helpful comments fellas. As far as smoke what you like, like what you smoke and people not wanting to comment, I was just wondering if there were chemicals, dye added to maduros, etc. that made people stay away or hate them.
That is still a common process in the industry, but its dyed with food grade ingredients so no harm no foul right XD
Old 06-21-2011, 09:49 AM   #33
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
That is still a common process in the industry, but its dyed with food grade ingredients so no harm no foul right XD
Unless you come away with black lips and fingers, which I have seen.

If you see a jet black wrapper with no inconsistencies, it's dyed.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:54 AM   #34
kickerb

Ancient Warrior FTW!
Old 06-21-2011, 12:45 PM   #35
Sled Dog
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Tim
Sled Dog is on a distinguished road

I enjoy the Regent box pressed from Gurkha, always seem to be a nice smoke with those (for me at least)
Sled Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:55 PM   #36
Tyler

Quote:
Unless you come away with black lips and fingers, which I have seen.

If you see a jet black wrapper with no inconsistencies, it's dyed.
Very wise advice as that is what I have noticed. The JR Alternative La Gloria Cubana Wavell turned my fingers and lips black as well as my pants as I didn't know my fingers were black and got my cell phone out of my pocket. Nasty little buggers. I now won't try most budget maduro sticks as I am almost certain they do a dye process of some sort. Although, I have heard great things about the Famous 5000 (I think that is the right number?) and people don't seem to complain about any kind of discoloration of the hands or face.

To add to the discussion of the main topic though, I did not have this happen to me when smoking the Gurkha. I will try some of the other Maduro Gurkhas sometime soon and see if it happens or not.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:39 PM   #37
cmitch
Heads up get down

First Name: Clayton
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
cmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nice

I expressed my sentiments on facebook:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ghurka.jpg (23.3 KB, 180 views)
Old 06-21-2011, 11:05 PM   #38
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaStyle View Post
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...121498829.html

Why tell people what to think? Do you like that they send a box of cigars to the Navy and then create their own "press release" that the Nayy SEAL Team 6 celebrates with Gurkha? I agree that people should smoke what they like, but why tell someone they can/cannot like a company for their business practices, especially taking advantage of the name of popular military personnel? Nice frickin' headline trying to make people think they actually celebrated with these cigars when the reading actually admits they just sent the cigars to the Navy, not that they actually smoked them. They just want the headline to imply they did. Read that crap they write about being the Rolls Royce of cigars... LOL!

I've seen other "press releases" where they try and claim to be the best yada, yada. For me, I stay away because I didn't like the ones I've tried once I actually started smoking good cigars, plus it's too hard to keep track of what they actually make.

Here's what it says:

SEAL Team 6 Celebrates With Gurkha Cigar

GURKHA CIGARS SPECIAL OPERATIONS BOX The Gurkha Cigar Special Operations Box, includes 20 cigars, a knife and a challenge coin; inspired by the Navy SEALs. (PRNewsFoto/Gurkha Cigars) MIAMI, FL UNITED STATES

MIAMI, May 9, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Heading the week after a successful mission by the Special Operations Team known as the Navy SEALs, the team celebrates with a handmade luxury cigar. The military is known quite well through the premium cigar market as many cigar manufacturers support our troops overseas with product, sponsorship and encouragement. If you open any Cigar Magazine, you will note photos of our troops celebrating with a premium cigar, hoping to relax with a taste of comfort in a sometimes very uncomfortable place.

(Photo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20110509/CG97634 )

Gurkha Cigars, having a longstanding relationship with the Special Operations segments of our military released a SpecOps limited edition cigar last year, inspired by the Navy SEALs. The box of 20 sticks includes a knife and a challenge coin designed specifically for the military. Instead of a traditional cigar box, the package used is a pelican case, similar to those designed by the military to transport sensitive equipment and weapons. In this case, the fragile contents are a collection of the Gurkha Assassin, a trademarked rarity used by Gurkha Cigars for several years now. Only recently in Pakistan has the light come to shine on what the military ordinarily does quietly.

So what does SpecOps Team 6 celebrate with? A Gurkha Grand Reserve sent specially by Kaizad Hansotia, owner of Gurkha Cigars to his friends in the Navy. Gurkha has been known more recently as the world's most expensive cigar, releasing the Black Dragon in 2007. Gurkha has the premium cigar market redefined from their $20,000 boxes of 'HMRs' to their special collector's edition that demands over $150,000 for a box of cigars.

Now seen as a status symbol of luxury and the Rolls Royce of cigars, Gurkha continues to be the choice when a celebration in necessary. "Our focus has always been on exclusive, limited availability tobaccos, serving up the most unique and flavorful blends," said Hansotia, affectionately known in the industry as 'Kaizer.'

"When you are smoking a Gurkha you know three things: it's expensive, it's good, and a celebration is in order," said Hansotia. The Gurkha brand has a long history in exclusive trade and in support of the military. Originating in India as British settlers opened trade routes; the name continues the tradition of rarities from distant lands in support of ancient warriors and today is no different. Focusing specifically on the limited and exclusive lots of cigar tobacco has caused Gurkha's reputation to rise from a long history of premium cigars.

About Gurkha:

Gurkha Cigars is one of the most famous brands of luxury cigars in the world. Gurkha is known for limited release and rare tobacco products and the line is available at cigar retailers worldwide. With its extraordinary quality and premium blends of tobacco, Gurkha's cigar brands include the Grand Reserve, Elegance and Shaggy. Created in 1989 and based in Miami, Florida the Gurkha brand is wholly owned by the Beach Cigar Group Inc, privately held and led by President, Kaizad (Kaizer) Hansotia.

SOURCE Gurkha Cigars
I'm confused when you say that Gurkha is marketing that article when clearly it's on some random news website not affiliated with Gurkha in anyway. But even so, why wouldn't Gurkha advertise that Seal Team 6 likes their cigars? Any manufacturer would do the same. I'm confused why Gurkha advertising that they support the troops makes them any different from other manufacturers that do the exact same.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:22 PM   #39
AlohaStyle
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (40)
AlohaStyle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
I'm confused when you say that Gurkha is marketing that article when clearly it's on some random news website not affiliated with Gurkha in anyway. But even so, why wouldn't Gurkha advertise that Seal Team 6 likes their cigars? Any manufacturer would do the same. I'm confused why Gurkha advertising that they support the troops makes them any different from other manufacturers that do the exact same.
Not affiliated with Gurkha in any way?!? Look at the bottom, the source is FROM GURKHA... meaning they wrote the "press release." If you didn't notice, I bolded that sentence in my original post. I've seen other laughable "press releases" that were written from Gurkha as well.

And why wouldn't they advertise the Seal 6 Team likes them? Because all they said is they sent the cigars to them... this is classic marketing BS, writing things that imply one thing, but actually admit to something entirely far from what they are implying. If you actually believe the SEAL 6 Team celebrated with these cigars, I have something nice to sell you...

Edit: I would have much more respect for them if they simply said they sponsor the Navy SEALs and created a special cigar to honor them... not try to capitalize on the recent fame of the SEAL 6 team by claiming they celebrated with their cigars.
AlohaStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:38 PM   #40
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaStyle View Post
Not affiliated with Gurkha in any way?!? Look at the bottom, the source is FROM GURKHA... meaning they wrote the "press release." If you didn't notice, I bolded that sentence in my original post. I've seen other laughable "press releases" that were written from Gurkha as well.

And why wouldn't they advertise the Seal 6 Team likes them? Because all they said is they sent the cigars to them... this is classic marketing BS, writing things that imply one thing, but actually admit to something entirely far from what they are implying. If you actually believe the SEAL 6 Team celebrated with these cigars, I have something nice to sell you...

Edit: I would have much more respect for them if they simply said they sponsor the Navy SEALs and created a special cigar to honor them... not try to capitalize on the recent fame of the SEAL 6 team by claiming they celebrated with their cigars.
But this is still no different from any other manufacturer in all sorts of industries. This is done every day all the time. For instance, Dell computers all the time advertises their "XPS Laptop as the fastest laptop on the planet". Well as it might come to no surprise, the laptop I picked up from another manufacturer for less actually benched almost twice as fast as the Dell in their article. Maybe not the same thing, but the marketing practice is the same. Kind of like how Burger King a few years back marketed that their fries in blind tastings scored higher than McDonalds. There was no tastings at all, Burger King just said there was to get sales. And you can bet the exact same things go on in the Cigar industry, and Gurkha isn't the only one doing it either.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote