Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 02-26-2011, 02:09 PM   #1
alexa071
Living the High Life

First Name: Randy
Trading: (0)
RyJ
alexa071 is on a distinguished road
Talking Trip to Jamaica booked...

Hey all,

I just booked a trip to an all-inclusive in Montego Bay Jamaica. I've been working my way through NC's since I live in the U.S. but I've only tried RyJ and H. Upmann CC's.

#1: What should be on my MUST BUY list for the trip?

#2: Anyone been there and/or know a good place to pick up some CC's? I'll be at the Grand Palladium in Montego Bay.

Thanks!

Randy
alexa071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:31 PM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Trip to Jamaica booked...

I don't believe there are any La Casa del Habano franchises in Jamaica, so I would not try to purchase any Cuban cigars there as chances are 99.99% chance you will get counterfeits.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:34 PM   #3
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

What AI are you going to? I found some, what appeared to be real, cubans at the duty free shop when you get to the departure side of the airport. there is no lcdh that i found
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:53 PM   #4
76GTFan
Full Blown Section 8

Trading: (9)
RA
76GTFan is on a distinguished road

I know there is usually a retailer that comes by the resorts a couple times a week. I was in Negril and had some good ones. Don't know about MB. Be careful. What resort?
76GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:56 PM   #5
76GTFan
Full Blown Section 8

RA

There are actually some good retailers in Jamaica. I believe that Air Jamaica owner has a friendship with Castro. Don't know if that has any relevance to getting real CCs there.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:24 PM   #6
Big_Ern
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Ernie
Trading: (1)
Trinidad
Big_Ern is on a distinguished road

I got married in Negril in June and the only real supplier I found was in the Duty Free side of the airport. that was my experience.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:41 PM   #7
76GTFan
Full Blown Section 8

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Ern View Post
I got married in Negril in June and the only real supplier I found was in the Duty Free side of the airport. that was my experience.
What resort? I got married at Swept Away. There was a retailer there two days in a week. He was in Negril.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:43 PM   #8
danreeve
Feeling at Home

First Name: Dan
Trading: (2)
danreeve has a spectacular aura aboutdanreeve has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76GTFan View Post
I know there is usually a retailer that comes by the resorts a couple times a week. I was in Negril and had some good ones. Don't know about MB. Be careful. What resort?
I stayed at a resort in Negril a few years ago also and a very official looking retailer came by twice after dinners. Everything he had were (good looking) fakes.

Take what you like to smoke with you, and have an amazing time.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:57 PM   #9
coach
Hiding in Klug"s Humi

Trading: (3)
HUpmann
coach will become famous soon enough

first off..enjoy yourself. now the cliff notes on Jamaica:

Be ready for a "cattle call" to find your Tour Operator after you clear customs. They will point you to a desk and that's where you'll book your transportation to/from the Resort.

After you clear the "cattle call" and you are told to "go through those doors to outside...", you'll find your bus to the resort,but stop by Margarittaville on the Taxi Stop.

Hopefully you are staying at a Resort near=by...We stayed at the RIU, closest from the Airport and very very nice. If not, enjoy your Bus Ride. Oh, BTW, don't be ALARMED by the looks...remember YOU are in a THIRD WORLD Country, it's very depressing looking at the surroundings.........

Oh yeah, I forgot to imform you... you will be picked up and dropped off on your RETURN TRIP HOME 3+ Hours before departure....the Airport is only OPEN for set hours[CUSTOMS TOO], then it closes up...NO ****. Then You are LOCKED inside to SHOP/SHOP/SHOP. There is also a "tobacco shop", but nothing but FAKES.

Now back to the RIU[where I stayed}, they have a good tobacco shop with limited selections and prices are "higher" than you would think, but legit. There are NO SA Habanos in Jamaica so bring your own. Also, it is not "advised" to go downtown[via TAXI at night[HIP STRIP], also YOU WILL BE SOLICATED to PURCHASASE WEED. Even during the day on the Strip and your RESORT BEACH[ you'll see the Vendors on kayaks in the ocean,as long as they are in the water they will first entice you with trinkets and then try you for weed. Especially if they see you smoking a cigar on the beach... here's what i told them and it worked....." I don't want your weed,nor do I want you to harass me/my wife. I ask you for RESPECT and I will RESPECT YOU. I will say/wave Hello if I see you on the beach, but please RESPECT my words". It works, and you'll learn "RESPECT"...it's common lingo down there.

HIP STRIP:
OK but just see it during the day. Castle Slot Parlor across from Margaritaville is good, along with M-ville. Jamaican Bobsled Cafe, that was really all you really want to see. Shop vendors are "pushy".

as for TOUR PKG's:

Dunn River Falls was a BLAST, but be advised that after the "climb", you have to[ok are advised], to exit through the VENDOR SWAP MKT, then be ready upon exiting to be handed a Red Stripe[oh yeah, the only beer you'll be drinking but good], and asked for $2, then someone else asking you what your and your wifes name then he'll start carving 2 statues with that and say here....then "$10..or whatever you want to give me...." Get used to it, no matter where ever or what ever you do the LOCALS WILL HAWK YOU FOR $$$. Not at the RESORTS but outside the boundaries it's what can I get.

Rose Hall looks to be a fun and knowledgable tour but we didn't take it.

If booked through AppleVacations[the co. i used, you'll be ok. if staying at the RIU hope you enjoy, especially the Lunch at the Beach JERK HUT. Skip the ITL&JAP Rest's and just eat at the Steak House or Great Hall [i can teach you how to only eat at the steak house].

now, finally your trip home. Like I said, you will be picked up and taken to the airport 3+ hrs before your departure. You will also find out that you cannot take your bags from the bus to the Terminal. There will be "HANDLERS" that can only take you bags...you will be told "it's their living and please RESPECT". Once you get your boarding pass you'll go through Customs and then you are LOCKED in to enjoy the JAMACIA AIRPORT....enjoy the Rum samples and you'll see the $ are somewhat cheaper,stay AWAY from the TOBACCO SHOP.

End of Cliffs Notes.

Have a good trip and i hope this helps.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:48 PM   #10
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by danreeve View Post
I stayed at a resort in Negril a few years ago also and a very official looking retailer came by twice after dinners. Everything he had were (good looking) fakes.

Take what you like to smoke with you, and have an amazing time.
Yup...if you buy outside an LCdH in one of these countries, you will be buying fakes 99.999% of the time. Except for that guy with the brother-in-law with a cousin who was Castro's personal valet and gets them backdoor straight from Havana.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 02-26-2011, 06:22 PM   #11
alexa071
Living the High Life

RyJ

Thanks for all the GREAT info!

I'll be staying at the Grand Palladium in Montego bay. Apparently they have a cigar roller that makes cigars on site every day. I, personally, wouldn't mind TRYING one but I'm somewhat in doubt about the quality he'll be creating.

So, it sounds like I might as well write off any hopes of getting some cubans while I'm there? I've stayed at Sandals in Jamaica once before... I know Sandals usually have a gift shop with (what appear to be) legit cigars but the prices are usually pretty high. I have no idea what they have at the Grand Palladium... I was thinking about sending an e-mail to get some info before we go.

I suppose the advice about taking what I like is a good one... that way I'll have some good cigars to smoke on the beach regardless of the CC situation.

Icehog... what's an LCdH? Local cuban distribution hub? That's the best words for the acronym I could come up with...

Thanks again!

Randy
Old 02-26-2011, 06:24 PM   #12
alexa071
Living the High Life

RyJ

Oh... I guess I suck at reading... "La Casa del Habano" Nevermind :-)
Old 02-26-2011, 06:34 PM   #13
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Randy...I have stayed at the Sandals....ALL those cigars are fakes.

Had some fresh rolled cigars at the Sandals in Nassau...definitely worth a try, what have you got to lose except a couple bucks? It is a novelty at worst, and maybe a decent cigar at best. A cool experience regardless.

I definitely would say forget about Cubans...oh, you will see them...and be offered them. And I would bet a year's pay they will all be fake. Nassau, Cancun, Acapulco, every resort town I have been to has scores of places selling Cuban cigars...and the only place I have seen real ones have been an LCdH.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:59 PM   #14
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

If you want some really good cigars -- bring them with you. Don't waste your time trying to purchase anything (CC or NC) locally...

Then -- smoke all the sticks you bring so you don't have to worry about Customs on the way home.

Have a great time!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:47 PM   #15
coach
Hiding in Klug"s Humi

Trading: (3)
HUpmann
coach will become famous soon enough

Tom, RIU really does deal with SAHabanos. The Corp is based out of Portugal and I ?'d them on their selections. The GM of their Playa DeCarmen Property took me into his office and we talked smokes. He then offered me a selection from his humi...took a HDM Churchill and we had a great time. He assured me that the selections in the gift shops @ RIU are "legit".

as for sandals, they were next door to the RIU in MB and their "Naked Resort" was just across the bay......

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Randy...I have stayed at the Sandals....ALL those cigars are fakes.

Had some fresh rolled cigars at the Sandals in Nassau...definitely worth a try, what have you got to lose except a couple bucks? It is a novelty at worst, and maybe a decent cigar at best. A cool experience regardless.

I definitely would say forget about Cubans...oh, you will see them...and be offered them. And I would bet a year's pay they will all be fake. Nassau, Cancun, Acapulco, every resort town I have been to has scores of places selling Cuban cigars...and the only place I have seen real ones have been an LCdH.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:13 PM   #16
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach View Post
Tom, RIU really does deal with SAHabanos. The Corp is based out of Portugal and I ?'d them on their selections. The GM of their Playa DeCarmen Property took me into his office and we talked smokes. He then offered me a selection from his humi...took a HDM Churchill and we had a great time. He assured me that the selections in the gift shops @ RIU are "legit".

as for sandals, they were next door to the RIU in MB and their "Naked Resort" was just across the bay......
You believe whatever you wanna believe, Randy.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:08 PM   #17
alexa071
Living the High Life

RyJ

Okay... maybe the cigars I had at the sandals were fake. That being said, they were my first cigars and they were really good. I also distinctly remember pulling multiple out of tubes and telling them I didn't want them because they were moldy. Of course, I remember the "mold" very clearly and it looked more like plume than mold in hindsight. So, I have no clue... I'll just make sure I have some good sticks with me and see where the trip leads me Also... I'll be sure to try the onsite handrolled... if nothing else I've never seen a cigar rolled in person before. Maybe he'll even let me try my hand at it... that would be a story in and of itself!

Randy
Old 02-26-2011, 09:12 PM   #18
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

the wife and I honeymooned in ocho rios at couples san souci. can't wait to go back
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:53 AM   #19
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Randy, when I was at Sandals in Nassau I bought 3 Esplendidos that I knew were fake. Talked the guy down from $20 each to 3 for $15. They may not have been Cubans, but they were a good smoke for $5, and I knew what I was getting. So it's not to say you can't find some decent smokes, just know and pay for what you are actually getting.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:25 PM   #20
bigpedunn
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Patrick
Montecristo
bigpedunn is on a distinguished road

Went to Swept away and Couples Negril they had a retailer there twice a week but the venders on the beach had dried out crap take some with you.
bigpedunn is offline   Reply With Quote