Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 09-30-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
Conch Republican
10-78

Trading: (60)
HUpmann
Conch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to behold
Default My Father Limited Edition

Just ( today) got a box of these in. A little steep on price point, but I didn't need an I pAd.

Box 642 of 2000. 12 coffins containing 12 toro (6.5x52) cigars.

The cigar is not asdark as some of the My Fathers, but has a nice brown wrapper. A double band with the My Father on top and the limited edition band below it. All of these cigars were rolled by either Pepin or Jaime.

After clipping, the draw is effortless. The aroma from the foot is beautiful, very musky and wonderful.

Lighting was a breeze. Perfect light after slight roast.

1st third and the ash is over an inch before it fractured.

If you have been waiting for flavors. Keep waiting. I don't have the kind of pallette (? Sp) that can discern 7 yr old burnt Madagascar vanilla. There is a definate spice ( pepper ) and the aroma off the burning end has a nice grassy aroma.

Halfway in and no need to touch up the burn - still even, but there is a stronger body to the cigar and still a good volume of smoke.

Not too much pepper or burn when exhaled through the nose. I am reluctant to drink anything and change the flavor. So water it will be.

The bottom band is now off, and it has a notation when removed that this is 1 of 24000 made. The ash is tighter than in the beginning. Not white, more of a grey, but perfect. The burn is still excellent and a little more pepper flavor, but not overwhelming. More pepper through the nose too.

It is rainy and damp out, so I turned on some Little Feat and Jimmy Buffett to set the mood.

2nd band is now off, and still volumes of smoke, nice body on this cigar, the pepper through the nose has changed again (less). The burn is still sharp and there is a body on the back of the tongue that is new.

The nose off the burning end has changed again as well. I haven't had an ash shorter than an inch and a half. No harshness or feeling like the cigar is hot...I took this down until it burned my fingers. The last ash was well over 2 plus inches and when I ash'd from standing to the pavement-the ash only broke in half when it landed. It didn't disintegrate like some others will.

Great cigar and a treat to smoke!
Old 09-30-2010, 04:40 PM   #2
dannysguitar
Feeling at Home

First Name: Danny
Trading: (36)
Montecristo
dannysguitar will become famous soon enough
Default Re: My Father Limited Edition

Thanks for the review. I've heard mixed reviews on this cigar...
Old 09-30-2010, 06:26 PM   #3
Wanger

Thanks Mark. Excellent review. If they were steep for you out there, it might cost me my firstborn here in MN. LOL.

Would you say they have the "typical" spice for a Pepin stick? Milder? Stronger? Full bodied and rich?
Old 09-30-2010, 06:52 PM   #4
Conch Republican
10-78

Trading: (60)
HUpmann
Conch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to behold

Typical for a My Father, yes...I like the stringer sticks and this was good body, but not overwhelming. Some MFs...wait, that sounded bad... Some of the line are kick yer ass My Father's... This didn't but was really good.

PS note that of the Pepin sticks, I used to only like the blue labels...now prefer this series.