Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 09-25-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
Nickerson

Thumbs up Oliva Series 'G' Maduro

Cigar Name: Oliva Series 'G'.
Cigar Size: Robusto, 4.5"x50 (box-press).
Wrapper Type: Maduro.

My father busted out an Oliva Series 'G' Cameroon Robusto the other day. He picked it up at the B&M for under $5.00. I sat next to him on the deck while he smoked it and it smelled fantastic. I love Oliva cigars, and I really liked the size so I was going to buy one some time this week. Out of the blue I received a Bomb from Corey (Son of Thor) and it just so happened to have an Oliva Series 'G' Maduro Robusto (kids a mind reader!).

Construction: 10/10

Contruction is flawless as expected from a company such as Oliva. Nice attractive maduro wrapper with no flaws. The box press is very nice on it as well.

Flavor: 22/25

I don't know why, but it seems a lot of the cheaper cigars have my ideal flavors. Particularly maduro. This cigar had a rich medium-full taste to it with notes of leather and hints of cocoa. Was smooth from start to finish. An ever slight bit of spice on the end.

Draw: 10/10

Effortless. I'm not sure if it was due to the V cutter I used, but the draw took no effort at all.

Burn: 9/10

Burn was just short of perfect. Was slightly uneven at one point but corrected itself naturally. I was hesitant to take a point off here.

Ash: 4/5

The ash was great. A nice light shade of gray, nearly white. Only deducted points because the ash would start to fall off after about an inch of so. Small pieces of ash would also get blown away with the wind but no big deal.

Smoke: 5/5

Very nice smoke. Thick white clouds of fantastic smelling tobacco.

Impression: 31/35

I still think this is one of the most attractive looking Oliva cigar. From its beautiful cocoa brown maduro wrapper with a soft velvety smooth texture and minimal veins, to its very defined box press with the cigar still in perfect condition. Great size and feels nice in hand. Pre-light aroma was fantastic as well. As expect from a company such as Oliva, this cigar did not disappoint. A great cigar at an even better price. It met all my expectations and then some.

Overall Rating: 91

My overall experience with the cigar was great. At $4.00 a stick this is an incredible value. Even if these were twice that price I would still smoke these from time to time. Can't wait to have my next one!

I would recommend this cigar to anyone, maduro fan or not.

Thanks again Corey for this great smoke. You the man.