Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 09-25-2010, 01:10 PM   #1
Nickerson

Thumbs up Arturo Fuente OpusX

Cigar Name: Arturo Fuente, OpusX.
Cigar Size: Fuente Fuente, 5.6"x46.
Wrapper Type: Rosado.

Nothing much to say... Just a lazy Tuesday and I feel like having a cigar. Summer is officially at its end, all the kids are back in school, weather is starting to get a bit cooler (finally). I look forward to this fall. It's always my favorite time of year.

I enjoy the OpusX line. Maybe not to the extent as some of the others on this board, but I think it is a well rounded cigar. Undoubtedly it does receive quite a bit of hype. Its hard for anything to live up to a reputation once hype is involved. Never the less, here we go.

Construction: 10/10

A solid cigar. No visible cracks or dents in the wrapper and it is firm to touch. There was a single some what large vein running through the back of the cigar, but that has no effect really. Fuente cigars usually have top notch construction, especially with their prized OpusX.

Flavor: 22/25

This cigar packs quite a punch. The flavors are very defined, though you may have some difficulties actually defining what you are tasting. Starts off with a kick, spice and sweetness. It becomes more toasty and nutty with a creaminess throughout. Spice from time to time, picks up more near the end. There is a very unique flavor I cannot put my finger on. Some describe it as licorice, some say raisin? Whatever it is, its pleasant and not overwhelming like actual licorice or raisins. The wrapper gives a nice bit of saltiness and a bit of leathery flavor as well. There is no substitute for an OpusX.

Draw: 9/10

Exceptional draw. Take very little effort to draw smoke.

Burn: 8/10

Started burning uneven. Became around 3/4" uneven at one point, required a touch up with the lighter. Other than that it stayed lit fine and there were no other major issues.

Ash: 5/5

As usual not much to say here. The ash held fine well after 1" and it had that nice salt and pepper color to it.

Smoke: 5/5

This cigar produces a significant amount of smoke. Luckily no one called the fire department.

Impression: 31/35

A fantastic cigar. There is quite a bit of hype over the OpusX line as well as other Fuente premiums. There are few cigars that look as luxurious as an OpusX. Pre-light it has one of the prettiest aroma's around, sort of smells like a caramel with a little spice. The price point is a joke online for the majority of internet retailers. You can find these at most reputable smoke shops, though they only come out a couple times a year. They are priced much better, but still carry quite a high price tag of around $11.00 a cigar. Its well worth the money paid though I wouldn't say worth much more, though I could probably count all the cigars I consider better with an $11.00+ price tag on a single hand.

Overall Rating: 90

I'm not a big spender. So I seldom get the opportunity to enjoy such an exceptional high end cigar. Luckily we have some great children of the leaf on here who are generous enough to share the experience with those of us who live pay check to pay check. This particular cigar (along with a few other OpusX I have) was given to me by none other than GlockG23 (as always Bill, you the man).

Is it worth the hype? I don't know. Its hard for any cigar to live up to the reputation of infamous OpusX. It's kind of hard to explain how it "isn't worth the hype" when I rate the cigar a 90. All that means is the hype usually seems to be describing 95+ cigar. Like I said, those are very high standards. Never the less, great smoke.

If you haven't tried an OpusX... GO GET ONE! Christmas time is coming around, which means they should be coming in stock at your local smoke shop... along with its evil cousin the Anejo. But that's a story for another day.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:01 PM   #2
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Arturo Fuente OpusX

Great review, but if that stick makes you think it's Tuesday, you're smoking it wrong.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:06 PM   #3
Nickerson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
Great review, but if that stick makes you think it's Tuesday, you're smoking it wrong.
Well I think ideally my flavor profile leans towards Maduro cigars. I do find these to be an exceptional cigar, but I think there is better out there that doesn't receive half the hype OpusX does.

I think the fact that I like the Anejo much better than the OpusX also shows I lean towards maduro cigars. Maybe I'll try to get a review up on an Anejo in the next week or so to toast my new membership on CA.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:13 PM   #4
shuckins
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (7)
shuckins is on a distinguished road

great review cory!
Old 09-25-2010, 06:14 PM   #5
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough

I'd love to read your Anejo review- just make sure it doesn't bounce you into the following week.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:19 PM   #6
Nickerson

Quote:
I'd love to read your Anejo review- just make sure it doesn't bounce you into the following week.
I've had two in my humi for over a year now. Usually the nicotine seems to gown a bit over time with age. Full strength cigars don't usually bother me though, I actually lean towards them as they usually have full flavor. Though I do have an anxiety disorder and things that make me feel abnormal can provoke some anxiety, it seems to be under better management these days.

I'll try and get my Anejo review up some time this week. Maybe I'll sneak one in tomorrow before he Pat's game.

Its that time of the year again too. My local shop should have Anejo's in stock in about 6-8 weeks or so! Then again if you use TampaSweethearts its Anejo season all year round.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:24 PM   #7
Tashaz

Nice review mate.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:31 PM   #8
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickerson View Post
Full strength cigars don't usually bother me though, I actually lean towards them as they usually have full flavor.
I just mean I don't want to see you post it on Monday afternoon, talking about how it's a beautiful Friday morning.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:56 PM   #9
Nickerson

Quote:
I just mean I don't want to see you post it on Monday afternoon, talking about how it's a beautiful Friday morning.
Haha. I always right my reviews right after I smoked. If I'm away from home I usually write it when I get home or within a few hours of getting home. I don't write the review as I smoke as I find that takes away from the enjoyment of the cigar.

All these reviews I've posted were reviews I did since July and onwards. Typically I do two or so a week. I try not to over indulge myself with cigars.

Are you a general Fuente fan? or just OpusX?
Old 09-25-2010, 09:40 PM   #10
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Punch

Quote:
I don't write the review as I smoke as I find that takes away from the enjoyment of the cigar.
I always struggle with this. I also like to let the cigar time be relaxed, like it should, and save the writing for later. However, I find that the times I take notes while smoking, I always come to the review with some thoughts available that I know I would've forgotten, otherwise.

Quote:
Typically I do two or so a week. I try not to over indulge myself with cigars.
That's not far from my pace. I find myself not giving them the relaxation and reflection they (and I) deserve, if I consume them at any higher rate.

Quote:
Are you a general Fuente fan? or just OpusX?
I bow in awe to pretty much all things Fuente. Several of their products are very dear old friends of mine.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:03 PM   #11
Nickerson

Quote:
I always struggle with this. I also like to let the cigar time be relaxed, like it should, and save the writing for later. However, I find that the times I take notes while smoking, I always come to the review with some thoughts available that I know I would've forgotten, otherwise.
You get use to it I suppose. If there is quite a bit of flavor changing throughout I may grab a small piece of paper and jot down notes on flavor. Real quick 1 words. But its easy to remember how the cigar was constructed, how the burn was, how the draw was, etc.

Flavor is always the most difficult aspect.

Quote:
I bow in awe to pretty much all things Fuente. Several of their products are very dear old friends of mine.
Well their Grean Reserva does nothing for me. I've had two. One Maduro one natural. Both were just average. I was going to give it another try on Saturday but the cigar looked like it may have had a little bit of mold on the end. Was kind of white, almost looked like it got caught on a cotton ball.

However the Hemingway's are very good. I love the short story and best seller. Delicious Cameroon wrapper. They recently came out with a sun-grown but my local B&M doesn't have them yet. The Maduro's are uber rare, and I'm a big Maduro fan.

I do like the OpusX just not as much as others I guess. I still think its a fantastic cigar, just not the greatest cigar ever. The Anejo is great. I may light one up in a few minutes here.

I haven't had much from Ashton which they also make, but the VSG are really nice. I wasn't overly impressed with Diamond Crown Maximus. Was good but at that price I'd have a hard time picking it over some other sticks.

I'd love to try a cuesta-rey but no one around here carries them.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:47 PM   #12
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
However the Hemingway's are very good. I love the short story and best seller. Delicious Cameroon wrapper. They recently came out with a sun-grown but my local B&M doesn't have them yet. The Maduro's are uber rare, and I'm a big Maduro fan.

I do like the OpusX just not as much as others I guess. I still think its a fantastic cigar, just not the greatest cigar ever. The Anejo is great. I may light one up in a few minutes here.

I haven't had much from Ashton which they also make, but the VSG are really nice. I wasn't overly impressed with Diamond Crown Maximus. Was good but at that price I'd have a hard time picking it over some other sticks.

I'd love to try a cuesta-rey but no one around here carries them.
My thoughts exactly, the Maximus wasn't bad, just disappointing for the price.

I've only had one Ashton(A triple aged maduro) and I was not at all impressed with it, I definitely would not pay that much for an Ashton again, and honestly there are 3 buck and under sticks that are better than that Aston.

The maduro wrapper on a Hemingway makes it 10 times better(if thats even possible ).
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote